Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

4. Likes Laece liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    She's easily top ten, for me.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

6. Likes Laece liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    I'm getting a little uncomfortable with the seemingly universal reaction of not taking her seriously (including my own, at first).
    If there was domestic violence, her attention-seeking, prima-donna behavior shouldn't be an excuse to discount it.

Again, I abhor violence against women and will be extremely disgusted with Roberto Alagna if what she is reporting is proven to be true.
    I don't want to pre-judge since nobody other than the couple and their immediate family members knows the whole story.
    But I'm starting to get a bit uneasy with all this talk that "well, she's histrionic, so, it can't be true; anyway, she's obnoxious, so, maybe it was justified."

Domestic violence is NEVER justified. Enough of this thing of blaming the victim.

I think the right thing to do is to take Angela seriously, encourage her to file a complaint with the police, and investigate. If it is true, then Roberto should be held responsible for abusing her. If it is not true, then Angela should be held responsible for defamation.

But refusing to take her seriously given past behavior is not cool.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

8. Likes MAuer, Laece, tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    I'm getting a little uncomfortable with the seemingly universal reaction of not taking her seriously (including my own, at first).
    If there was domestic violence, her attention-seeking, prima-donna behavior shouldn't be an excuse to discount it.

Again, I abhor violence against women and will be extremely disgusted with Roberto Alagna if what she is reporting is proven to be true.
    I don't want to pre-judge since nobody other than the couple and their immediate family members knows the whole story.
    But I'm starting to get a bit uneasy with all this talk that "well, she's histrionic, so, it can't be true; anyway, she's obnoxious, so, maybe it was justified."

Domestic violence is NEVER justified. Enough of this thing of blaming the victim.

I think the right thing to do is to take Angela seriously, encourage her to file a complaint with the police, and investigate. If it is true, then Roberto should be held responsible for abusing her. If it is not true, then Angela should be held responsible for defamation.

But refusing to take her seriously given past behavior is not cool.
    I agree. I don't think this sort of thing will go over in the US. I'm guessing that we'll see this come up in the NYT this weekend. Will be interested to see Tommasini's take on this. My guess is he will be more measured in his comments.

I know for a fact that some people who are histrionic also happen to be telling the truth. My late wife was violently raped, threatened, and kidnapped, when she was still a teenager. I know this most definitely and I even know the person who did it. Yet the police never did anything although they did question the perpetrator who said she went with him willingly and had decided to run away from home with him. After they interviewed L's parents and siblings, I guess they decided L wasn't credible as the authorities decided to drop the charges. Today my (late) wife is deceased, and the perpetrator is well-to-do with a large immediate family, yet I can't help think that he should still be in prison for what he did.

So I have great sympathy for Angela here. Just because people don't believe them and think that they overact, doesn't mean it isn't true.

10. Thanks Laece thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer, Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I don't think this sort of thing will go over in the US. I'm guessing that we'll see this come up in the NYT this weekend. Will be interested to see Tommasini's take on this. My guess is he will be more measured in his comments.

I know for a fact that some people who are histrionic also happen to be telling the truth. My late wife was violently raped, threatened, and kidnapped, when she was still a teenager. I know this most definitely and I even know the person who did it. Yet the police never did anything although they did question the perpetrator who said she went with him willingly and had decided to run away from home with him. After they interviewed L's parents and siblings, I guess they decided L wasn't credible as the authorities decided to drop the charges. Today my (late) wife is deceased, and the perpetrator is well-to-do with a large immediate family, yet I can't help think that he should still be in prison for what he did.

So I have great sympathy for Angela here. Just because people don't believe them and think that they overact, doesn't mean it isn't true.
    That's a terribly sad story. How awful that she lived much of her life knowing that she was considered to be a liar.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Thanks tyroneslothrop thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    That's a terribly sad story. How awful that she lived much of her life knowing that she was considered to be a liar.
    Well it might be just that they didn't think they could get it through the courts, where often the victim is as much on trial as the perp. in rape cases.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I approve this message.

17. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy gets everywhere ...
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Well it might be just that they didn't think they could get it through the courts, where often the victim is as much on trial as the perp. in rape cases.
    Yes, my late wife had dropped out of school at that time, wore her dyed hair in something of a spikey mohawk and was the lead singer in a punk rock club band. I guess the authorities may have thought it would never get through the courts--a case of judging by appearances. However, I know how many nights I was awaken by her sobbing and screaming from a nightmare where she dreamed about the abduction/rapes (which lasted months) and people don't have nightmares about things that didn't happen.

20. Thanks Laece thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, my late wife had dropped out of school at that time, wore her dyed hair in something of a spikey mohawk and was the lead singer in a punk rock club band. I guess the authorities may have thought it would never get through the courts--a case of judging by appearances. However, I know how many nights I was awaken by her sobbing and screaming from a nightmare where she dreamed about the abduction/rapes (which lasted months) and people don't have nightmares about things that didn't happen.
    I'm really sorry, tyrone, how horrible for both of you.
    Natalie

22. Thanks tyroneslothrop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Post Thanks / Like
    Alagna responds on his Facebook page
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow