Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan Graham Wins 'Maria Callas Debut Artist of the Year' Award. How does she count as a "debut" artist? Who votes for these things?

Here she is in 1996, almost 20 years ago!

EDIT: Ok, I see that it is awarded if one makes a Dallas Opera debut. I'm sure that La Divina would have been thrilled that the Dallas Opera named their "prestigious" award after her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Nice. I met Mr. Blanchard in person some three months ago during a gala dinner and we had a chat about his new opera. I asked if he'd like to grant Opera Lively an interview and he said an enthusiastic "yes." Then I didn't pursue it (I've been really tired of the interview business and struggling to reconnect and restart - better proof, I still have two interviews that I recorded two months ago and haven't even started transcribing yet). Now I regret that I didn't. Maybe I should try again... or... not...
    Tired...

Oh well, after this big break I've been giving myself, at some point I *will* restart.
    Emile Griffith, who is the boxer that Blanchard's new opera is based on, has died.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Susan Graham Wins 'Maria Callas Debut Artist of the Year' Award. How does she count as a "debut" artist? Who votes for these things?

EDIT: Ok, I see that it is awarded if one makes a Dallas Opera debut. I'm sure that La Divina would have been thrilled that the Dallas Opera named their "prestigious" award after her.
    In Dallas opera world Miss Graham is a big fish in a small pond (compared to MET or ROH)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I am really impressed with Foster. I thought mid-wifing was a hobby until she could get a gig as an opera singer--on the contrary. She has no acting training and was an NHS midwife for FIFTEEN years before she took up singing!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank Castorf: 'Artistic terrorism' in Bayreuth:

You're known for your dislike of linear stagings and for taking liberties with a work. Yet, with the "Ring," you have to stick to the libretto. That doesn’t suit your style at all.

Right. And that's often held me back from staging opera. I've had a lot of offers to do opera and have turned most of them down because I don't have the freedom to move a storyline through time and space the way I want. That's how I decide whether to do something or not. Otherwise, I could just as well work for the railway system and make sure the trains run on time. I'm more interested in the detours. I talked about this with conductor Kyrill Petrenko, who conducts the "Ring" here, and he said: "I really request that that we stick to the score."

That's one way to look at it. But you can also tell a story a different way: more complex, yet maybe even more accurately, without damaging the original. That's what we're trying to do here. It's also about, as Wagner termed it, "artistic terrorism."
    All I can say is, "Hurray for Maestro Petrenko!"

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. The gods cavorting at a sleazy motel on Route 66 in the Castorf Ring. This will not be the finest hour of Bayreuth. Sad for Wagner's 200th.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG. The gods cavorting at a sleazy motel on Route 66 in the Castorf Ring. This will not be the finest hour of Bayreuth. Sad for Wagner's 200th.
    Perhaps. But people were similarly distraught at the Bayreuth 100th anniversary Ring cycle, when the curtain opened to reveal, not the Rhine river and cavorting water sprites, but a hydroelectric dam and strolling hookers.

And yet today, nearly four decades later . . .

(BTW, if we have any Ring virgins in our midst, head straightaway to this post to see the Boulez/Chereau Ring Cycle.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Perhaps. But people were similarly distraught at the Bayreuth 100th anniversary Ring cycle, when the curtain opened to reveal, not the Rhine river and cavorting water sprites, but a hydroelectric dam and strolling hookers.

And yet today, nearly four decades later . . .
    Actually, you may have overstated the complaints about the Boulez/Chereau production. Certainly by the end of that bygone summer, everyone under the age of 65 was pretty much OK with it, which is more than can be said for the Lepage Ring Cycle.

Do read the link to the article where Castorf admitted he was told by the conductor to stick to the music/libretto.
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; July 25th, 2013 at 01:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, you may have overstated the complaints about the Boulez/Chereau production. Certainly by the end of that bygone summer, everyone under the age of 65 was pretty much OK with it, which is more than can be said for the Lepage Ring Cycle.
    People got over their initial, snap-judgment reservations by giving the production a chance. So now, with the upcoming Castorf Ring, perhaps we can bear in mind the words of a very wise man:

. . . just goes to show that I need to see a production first before commenting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    People got over their initial, snap-judgment reservations by giving the production a chance. So now, with the upcoming Castorf Ring, perhaps we can bear in mind the words of a very wise man:
    ok, but...

Post Thanks / Like
    Do read the link to the article where Castorf admitted he was told by the conductor to stick to the music/libretto.
    Radical revisions of the libretto and score may well be the next logical step in the Regie movement. There have been similar trends in spoken theatre (Shakespeare's text completely rearranged), though I think they're less fashionable now. One can probably make an especially strong argument against taking such a collage approach to music, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see this as the next great controversy on the opera horizon.