Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a load of tripe--The Telegraph opines on the difference between musicals and operas: [clicky]
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Opera" composers had never been to an opera: [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    Soprano, Evelyn Lear has died at age 86: (actually, this was awhile ago) [clicky]

Name:  Evelyn-Lear-008.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  22.0 KB
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; August 4th, 2013 at 11:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    What a load of tripe--The Telegraph opines on the difference between musicals and operas: [clicky]
    What aspect of this do you consider tripe? The style of the article, including the anecdote about Sondheim, is silly. But he is pointing out a distinction in musical life in America: the apparent (and sometimes silly) hard line between opera and musical.

Opera companies perform classic American musicals, like the Lyric Opera of Chicago's Rodgers and Hammerstein project. Sondheim is also regularly performed by opera companies.

Now I will admit that West Wide Story is a harder work for an opera company to perform, because of how important the Jerome Robbins choreography is to the work. Opera choruses are not known for their dancing skills.

Personally, I am skeptical of a hard line between opera and musicals. I think of them as the 20th-21st century American equivalent of 19th century French opera comique/bouffe.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Soprano, Evelyn Lear has died at age 86: [clicky]
    This is sad news. She was admired in roles as different as Pamina (I have the Böhm recording with her) and Lulu, and was a noted Marschallin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deNoget View Post
    What aspect of this do you consider tripe?
    Tripe:
    The lyrics, too, support the musical genre – serious and they belong to opera; humorous and they belong to the musical.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    This is sad news. She was admired in roles as different as Pamina (I have the Böhm recording with her) and Lulu, and was a noted Marschallin.
    Indeed.

Evelyn Lear and Thomas Stewart were long time residents of the Washington, DC metropolitan area. I heard her sing the fairy godmother in Massenet's Cendrillon at the Kennedy Center on two occasions, and she was stellar both times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tripe:
    The lyrics, too, support the musical genre – serious and they belong to opera; humorous and they belong to the musical.
    Yes, that is a silly line. An idea with a long history though: connecting serious and "higher" against comedy and "lower." A distinction that often gets blurred as genres evolve, like Carmen as an opera comique. Or Sweeney Todd as a musical comedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by deNoget View Post
    Yes, that is a silly line. An idea with a long history though: connecting serious and "higher" against comedy and "lower." A distinction that often gets blurred as genres evolve, like Carmen as an opera comique. Or Sweeney Todd as a musical comedy.
    Yes, and Sweeney Todd was followed by such musicals on serious topics as Les Misérables, Phantom of the Opera, and even Rent. That said, perhaps even though it uses rock music, I think it's Rent that best highlights the differences between the musical and opera subgenres, as it can pretty much be compared directly with La bohème with regard to topic and contrasted in approach.

The works themselves aside, I also personally think of opera singers as singers who are sometimes called on to dance, while I consider musical singers as dancers who are sometimes called on to sing.
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; August 5th, 2013 at 12:13 AM.

10. Likes deNoget liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The works themselves aside, I also personally think of opera singers as singers who are sometimes called on to dance, while I consider musical singers as dancers who are sometimes called on to sing.
    Unless it's French Baroque opera. Then you've got singers who *alternate* with dancers.

12. Likes deNoget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All over Britain, people are dreaming the opera dream – and that doesn’t just mean they’d love to see La Bohème at Covent Garden, it also means that they long to make their own contributions to the art form as well. [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything that Kevin Puts writes about composing symphonies in this little piece, I'd wager also applies to composing operas: [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    Gatti's readings of Wagner never fail to impress me--I think he did an outstanding job with Parsifal a few months ago at the Met conducting score-lessly. I really hope this new Herheim Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg will be released on video: [clicky]
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; August 6th, 2013 at 01:59 PM.

16. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have mixed feelings about this review on Britten's Curlew River performed at Tanglewood, but the review is interesting nonetheless: [clicky]. I do wish I could see it, but except for some at its 75th anniversary celebration, none of the Tanglewood productions have ever seemed to make it to video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive. Glyndebourne has been filling 96% of their seats also. The Met needs to take a page from their book. [clicky]