Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    8 Great Brünnhildes (and 1 ringer): [clicky]
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A Lohengrin dilemma: Two concerts — which one to watch? [clicky]

Interesting observation:
    Perhaps the 10-minute boo-storm (if only there were a literal equivalent to the useful German word Buhsturm) to which Castdorf was notoriously subjected (and which he even more notoriously encouraged) on opening night represents part of the theatrical experience in Bayreuth. Perhaps music columnists are complicit in promoting the big show by condemning it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anna Netrebko's tribute to Verdi at 200: [clicky]

So tell me, what the heck is she holding up? Or am I just a perv?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Under Zambello, Glimmerglass festival creating a new musical community: [clicky]
    This is a very interesting article. Since I'm scheduled to meet Zambello at her home on August 11 for an Opera Lively exclusive interview (after I attend her Dutchman and Christopher Räth's - one of her main collaborators - King for a Day, I'm getting tempted about challenging her a little about certain choices and about WNO.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Gidon Kremer Attacks Russian Soprano Anna Netrebko and Conductor Valiery Gergiev; Organizes Anti-Putin Concert: Gidon Kremer is teaming up with Martha Argerich and Daniel Barenboim for an anti-Putin concert in Berlin. [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    Met responds to the petition: [clicky]
    Anna Netrebko responds to the petition on Facebook: [clicky]
    "As an artist, it is my great joy to collaborate with all of my wonderful colleagues—regardless of their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. I have never and will never discriminate against anyone." -Anna Netrebko

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was struck while watching "Shark Week" (if only it had a wonderful vocal score, it would have been perfect..), and was struck by the following commercial - I think the composer might have a future:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjFj1df5VNc

8. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elīna Garanča's replacement for some of the performances of the upcoming Carmen at ROH is Anita Rachvelishvili.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some nice pix of Kaufmann/Harteros in Salzburg Don Carlo.......

http://intermezzo.typepad.com/interm...st-photos.html

11. Thanks tyroneslothrop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Some nice pix of Kaufmann/Harteros in Salzburg Don Carlo.......

http://intermezzo.typepad.com/interm...st-photos.html
    Thanks! I love this comment at the bottom of the page you linked:

Of course it would be SO much better, exciting, deeply provocative, dramatically true and credible for the 2013 crowd if it were set in Las Vegas, or in an abattoir on the 3rd moon of Neptune with everyone naked or wearing pink gorilla suits, choruses dressed as 6-foot-tall rats and oodles of simulated blowjobs, toilets, hookers, blood, coke-snorting, etc. Well I guess there WOULD be a lot of people across the generations who wouldn't mind seeing a naked Kaufmann Don Carlo.

13. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I love this comment at the bottom of the page you linked:
    Yes that comment made me laugh too.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    THE BOOK SHELF: "On My Way: The Untold Story of Rouben Mamoulian, George Gershwin, and Porgy and Bess": [clicky]

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting NY Times article in today's Arts and Leisure section about a new production of Le Nozze di Figaro at the Mostly Mozart Festival (NYC). The production, as conceived by Ivan Fischer, is designed as something in between a traditional production and Regie.

[The link may not work for everyone because the NYT allows reading some articles, but starts charging after a certain number have been read every month. However:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/ar...?ref=arts&_r=0

17. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Interesting NY Times article in today's Arts and Leisure section about a new production of Le Nozze di Figaro at the Mostly Mozart Festival (NYC). The production, as conceived by Ivan Fischer, is designed as something in between a traditional production and Regie.

[The link may not work for everyone because the NYT allows reading some articles, but starts charging after a certain number have been read every month. However:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/11/ar...?ref=arts&_r=0
    Thank you! A very nice article on an interesting concept.

Not sure about Fischer's Cherubino fixation though as I am not sure Mozart had any specific gender- or class-related intent in casting a woman to play the part of a man dressed as a woman. Beaumarchais and then Mozart probably focused more on Cherubino's womanizing. BTW, I found it interesting how the role came about and was first filled, as it was filled as something of an afterthought. Unlike Susanna, it's not clear Mozart had anyone in mind for Cherubino. Here is what Michael Rose has written about this:

The joker in the pack is of course Cherubino, another survivor from the commedia dell'arte tradition but given a new lease of life, as well as a discreet but explicit sexual dimension, by Beaumarchais.

Beaumarchais: Still guided by nature, everything he touches has the power to agitate him. Perhaps he is no longer a child, but he isn't yet a man―and this is the moment I have chosen in order to engage the feelings of the audience without obliging anyone to blush.... [Beaumarchais: 120]

For Cherubino's first aria, Non so più cosa son, cosa faccio, Da Ponte in fact did little more than adapt Beaumarchais's words into decent verse; it is Mozart's setting that finally transforms the traditional page of French farce into a boy palpitating on the brink of adolescence. We do not know whether Mozart had any particular singer in mind for the role because Dorotea Bussani, who eventually sang it, was a late addition to the company. She was the twenty-three-year-old wife of Francesco Bussani, the stage manager and general factotum of the Italian troupe, who was at a loss to find a fifth female singer and no doubt saw this as an opportunity to promote his new wife's career. Da Ponte, who regarded Francesco as a scheming opponent (which he probably was), allowed his distaste to rub off on Dorotea,

Da Ponte: ... who, though awkward and of little merit, by dint of grimaces and clowning, and perhaps by means more theatrical still, built up a large following among cooks, grooms, lackeys and wigmakers, and was therefore considered a jewel. [Da Ponte, 1918, I: 139]

Others were more charitable, allowing her 'a beautiful low voice' and 'a lovely figure', but she was not an experienced singer, and it is possible that her difficulties with Non so più resulted in its removal during the first performances of the opera―a cut that must have distressed Mozart, whose widow told Vincent Novello that it was one of his favorite arias.
    ADDED: It occurs to me that if the character of Cherubino was crafted by anyone specifically for the opera, that would have been by Da Ponte probably and not Mozart. Da Ponte was a noted priest/womanizer and even got himself tossed out of Venice for 15 years due to his licentiousness. Da Ponte probably found Beaumarchais's Cherubino to be interesting and ironic.
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; August 11th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.

19. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opinion: When artists could speak out: Pressure mounts on Russian musicians supporting Putin campaign to repudiate anti-gay laws: [clicky]