Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Working fulltime, Pappano only earns two and a half times what Fleming does in Chicago for a few hours of part-time work a week: [click]
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bryn Terfel reveals how his personal life has been hit by operatic stardom: "Baritone Terfel says his ex-wife 'can do no wrong in my eyes' and he would not change a thing about his relationship with childhood sweetheart": [clicky]

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call me, Chicago. I'm not too far away, and you can have me for half what you're paying Renee.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Bryn Terfel reveals how his personal life has been hit by operatic stardom: "Baritone Terfel says his ex-wife 'can do no wrong in my eyes' and he would not change a thing about his relationship with childhood sweetheart": [clicky]
    Oh, this is a shame. I was told that Bryn Terfel was known for not accepting many roles, due to always putting his family first and trying to spend more time with them. Still, the marriage went down the drains - apparently even though he was said to make this effort, he still wasn't there for essential occasions like the birth of two of his sons. The divorce rate among opera singers is 50% higher than among the general population.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    What a pleasant change from the war of words that usually results when a couple splits. I'm so sorry for both Mr. Terfel and his family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glyndebourne 2013: Don Pasquale - Do I hear a waltz?: [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    Wagnerian tenor Spas Wenkoff dies at age 84: [clicky]

Name:  wenkoff-tristan77.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  15.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Are HD broadcasts “cannibalizing” the Metropolitan Opera’s live audiences? [clicky]

Post Thanks / Like
    Classicalite's Five Worst: Operatic Disasters: [clicky]

Senior Member Involved Member StLukesGuildOhio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to assume that Alma hasn't missed this... but just in case:

Heads up from Anna's Facebook account:

Listen to the Verdi album in its entirety for one week only, courtesy of NPR Music:

http://bit.ly/VerdiFirstListen
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of
    Congress .. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

11. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StLukesGuildOhio View Post
    I'm going to assume that Alma hasn't missed this... but just in case:

Heads up from Anna's Facebook account:

Listen to the Verdi album in its entirety for one week only, courtesy of NPR Music:

http://bit.ly/VerdiFirstListen
    Yes! I posted this to the Anna Netrebko thread. Great!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Elīna Garanča's replacement for some of the performances of the upcoming Carmen at ROH is Anita Rachvelishvili.

Well, Luiz, Natalie, look who is replacing Elīna Garanča in the other performances!!

I might just have to go. And me going to see an opera because of the female singer will be a first.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    And me going to see an opera because of the female singer will be a first.
    Hehehe, ACA will do that to you!

I'm thinking of a male equivalent... I'm not sure if I'd go see an opera for the sole reason that, say, Jonas Kaufmann was in it.

As a heterosexual guy, I don't develop crushes on other guys.

It's different when I have interviewed them and connected with them on a more human level, to the point of growing an appreciation for their qualities as persons. In this case, yes, I'd go see an opera with some of them, to have the pleasure of meeting them again. I did have opportunities when I did just that, going to see again an opera with one of them and meeting them for a second time: it has happened with Jay Hunter Morris, Larry Brownlee, Matthew Polenzani, Liam Bonner, and Piotr Beczala. In all of these occasions, meeting them again was extremely nice and satisfying. I can think of some others I'll be in the lookout for an opportunity to do it.

But that's a bit different, because yes, I'd definitely go see an opera with certain female singers for the sole reason that they're part of the cast, independently of having met them and interviewed them before.

So, since I've never met Mr. Kaufmann, I wouldn't go just for him.
    But I've never met Miah Persson either, and yes, I'd definitely go just for her. Patricia Petibon? I'd go to the moon to meet her. Kristine Opolais? You bet!
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 15th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

16. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Hehehe, ACA will do that to you!

I'm thinking of a male equivalent... I'm not sure if I'd go see an opera for the sole reason that, say, Jonas Kaufmann was in it.

As a heterosexual guy, I don't develop crushes on other guys.

It's different when I have interviewed them and connected with them on a more human level, to the point of growing an appreciation for their qualities as persons. In this case, yes, I'd go see an opera with some of them, to have the pleasure of meeting them again. I did have opportunities when I did just that, going to see again an opera with one of them and meeting them for a second time: it has happened with Jay Hunter Morris, Larry Brownlee, Matthew Polenzani, Liam Bonner, and Piotr Beczala. In all of these occasions, meeting them again was extremely nice and satisfying. I can think of some others I'll be in the lookout for an opportunity to do it.

But that's a bit different, because yes, I'd definitely go see an opera with certain female singers for the sole reason that they're part of the cast, independently of having met them and interviewed them before.

So, since I've never met Mr. Kaufmann, I wouldn't go just for him.
    But I've never met Miah Persson either, and yes, I'd definitely go just for her. Patricia Petibon? I'd go to the moon to meet her. Kristine Opolais? You bet!
    I would go see J.K., even if he doesn't have boobs. What does that say about me? On second thought, don't answer that.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I've never met Mr. Kaufmann, I wouldn't go just for him.
    Well I have (sort of!) but his voice does nothing for me so I wouldn't go just for him.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery