Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's going to be a new Figaro production helmed by Richard Eyre in 2014. I wonder what the cast is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/arts/music/richard-eyre-to-direct-figaro-at-the-metropolitan-opera.html?_r=0

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    So... you mean... that there is hope?
    For you and Erwin, yes.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    For you and Erwin, yes.
    So, you mean, there is hope for me that I'll marry Anna, and hope for Erwin that he'll be free to marry someone else, right? I guess Andriana Chuchman is single. She should be a good match for him.

Now, seriously, I think this note that MAuer has mentioned is completely mistaken. I believe, last I heard, Anna and Erwin were actually planning to have a second child. I don't know why they are coming up with this theory of a split just because she showed up by herself in Salzburg. These singers have busy schedules and Anna and Erwin go to different places on their own all the time.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The great Irish poet, scholar, and Nobel Prize winner, Seamus Heaney, has just died. It's fair to mention him here because although he only attended the opera seven times in his whole life, he did write one: The Burial at Thebes. [clicky]
    Last edited by tyroneslothrop; September 2nd, 2013 at 10:11 AM.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    More on the supposed lack of domestic bliss in the Netrebko-Schrott household: Erwin is supposed to be romantically involved with Cathy Zimmermann, a 31 year-old moderator with ORF, Austria's national public broadcasting network, whom he met at a charity bash this past spring. The rumors about this supposed involvement began circulating back in June. I still hope it's all just the usual groundless speculation and idle chatter, especially for the sake of Anna and Erwin's cute little son, Thiago.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    More on the supposed lack of domestic bliss in the Netrebko-Schrott household: Erwin is supposed to be romantically involved with Cathy Zimmermann, a 31 year-old moderator with ORF, Austria's national public broadcasting network, whom he met at a charity bash this past spring. The rumors about this supposed involvement began circulating back in June. I still hope it's all just the usual groundless speculation and idle chatter, especially for the sake of Anna and Erwin's cute little son, Thiago.
    Where are you getting this from? Is this being reported by any other source, or only by some sort of gossip magazine in Austria? Because if the latter, this kind of stuff is said of celebrities all the time. I hope it's not true; Anna and Erwin do seem very much in love every time they give interviews together, etc., which of course doesn't prove much. But when these things are more than the speculation of some dubious journalist who wants readers, happens to see Erwin chatting with the young lady in question and then rushes to publish this kind of guess, then usually other sources start to report it as well and there is mounting evidence. If it is an isolated guess from the equivalent of TMZ or E!, then the likelihood that it is true is much smaller.

---

This Cathy Zimmerman has a Wikipedia page - [clicky]. She is said, there, to be in a relationship with a gentleman called Roman Rafreider who also works for the Austrian TV (and who also has a Wikipedia page).

---

Well, OK. I explored some sources in German with the help of Google Translate (I don't speak any German). It looks like Cathy Zimmerman and Roman Rafreider have separated. Then she got breast implants and proceeded to show them to the world in nude essays for Playboy and another Austrian magazine, and is said to appear to be in a man-hunting phase, with a well, rather intense love life, including, getting involved with her personal trainer. Then there is this picture:

Name:  cathy-zimmermann-maenner-354428_i.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  18.2 KB

Oh gosh, poor Anna. I hope it's just speculation, but indeed the plot thickens. Again, it doesn't prove anything. The young lady seems to be a celebrity as well, and if she is single and in a bouncing-back phase, she'll be flirtatious and chatting with other men and a journalist then snaps this photo and the rumors start - maybe Erwin was just being friendly.

When I interviewed Anna and she talked about Erwin, one could sense she loved him a lot (well, I've been a psychiatrist for 33 years; by now I've learned to sense genuine emotion when talking with people) - there was this sparkle in her eyes, this enthusiasm and excitement, this unbridled admiration when talking about him. Then I saw the two of them together backstage at the Met and she behaved all girlish and fascinated when looking at him and touching him. Of course this is more than one year ago so it doesn't say anything about the current state of their relationship. But with this kind of evident love, if he then turns out to cheat on her, Anna will be very hurt.

Of course one wonders, with a wife like Anna, would Erwin really be chasing skirts around? For now, I'd rather bet that he was being friendly with the young lady and nothing more. I interviewed Erwin too, and he seems to be very outspoken, friendly, and personable. He is informal and warm, so, the kind of guy who would act very naturally and warmly around other people including those of the opposite gender, which might generate the rumors from a much stiffer and conservative society in Austria as compared to his native Uruguay, so, he might be an easy target for rumors when he interacts with other women given that his social behavior may fall a bit as an outlier in that cultural context.

I've seen South Americans being misinterpreted in Anglo-Saxon cultures as flirting with someone when they are just being their natural selves. Let's hope it's all that this is.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 8th, 2013 at 04:00 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spotted this in another German magazine, and my inclination is still to dismiss it as speculation built upon -- as you note -- pretty scanty evidence. I usually just glance through these things for the occasional laugh and don't attach much credence to their contents. Once in a while, their suppositions turn out to be accurate, but I'm hoping this is not one of those occasions. When some time has passed and it's pretty clear that Anna and Erwin are not parting company, this whole business will probably just quietly go away.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would just dismiss this as celebrity gossip, but I have to say that I have noticed recently that photos of Anna off-stage never have Erwin in them (for example when she is having dinner with Piotr Beczala and his wife Kazia, she is inevitably alone). She and Erwin posted separate pictures of themselves with Thiago on his birthday - Thiago with Mummy, and a day later Thiago with Daddy. A devoted couple would surely celebrate a child's birthday together.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I would just dismiss this as celebrity gossip, but I have to say that I have noticed recently that photos of Anna off-stage never have Erwin in them (for example when she is having dinner with Piotr Beczala and his wife Kazia, she is inevitably alone). She and Erwin posted separate pictures of themselves with Thiago on his birthday - Thiago with Mummy, and a day later Thiago with Daddy. A devoted couple would surely celebrate a child's birthday together.
    That is odd, and likely a much bigger indication of trouble than the gossip magazines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently Erwin Schrott said a couple of months back: "We are no longer a couple - just colleagues." It was taken as a joke related to their busy schedules. Now it takes a different twist. Apparently someone consulted their managers about the rumored separation, and there was no denial - they are just saying "we won't comment on the matter."

This is becoming more credible by the minute.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 9th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Deborah Voigt has withdrawn from singing Isolde in Washington National Opera's upcoming Tristan und Isolde. Following is an article by Anne Midgette in today's (Monday, 9 September 2013) "The Washington Post" that discusses Ms. Voight's difficulty in handling the role during rehearsals leading to Francesca Zambello's interceding, along with acknowledging that it was more difficult for her to 'learn how to sing again' after her weight loss surgery than she had anticipated. Irene Theorin will replace Ms. Voight in the WNO production.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...9d0_story.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Deborah Voigt has withdrawn from singing Isolde in Washington National Opera's upcoming Tristan und Isolde. Following is an article by Anne Midgette in today's (Monday, 9 September 2013) "The Washington Post" that discusses Ms. Voight's difficulty in handling the role during rehearsals leading to Francesca Zambello's interceding, along with acknowledging that it was more difficult for her to 'learn how to sing again' after her weight loss surgery than she had anticipated. Irene Theorin will replace Ms. Voight in the WNO production.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...9d0_story.html
    I admire Ms. Voigt for being very candid about it, and she is of course right. We had expressed doubts on whether or not she was up to the challenge anyway. Yes, she should now move into the repertory of older soprano roles since her voice is not up to standards any longer for these big Wagnerian roles. She knows it, the public knows it, the critics know it, so, moving out of it is the natural and graceful thing to do instead of trying to force her body into doing what it can no longer do. She can continue to have a very nice career without exposing herself to ridicule. Anne Midgette's article is sensitive and the right kind of journalism, I tip my hat to both of them.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 9th, 2013 at 05:35 PM.

14. Likes MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Anne Midgette's article is sensitive and the right kind of journalism, I tip my hat to both of them.
    Yes as opposed to some of the comments on parterre which reminded me of this:

Natalie

16. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news from today's New York Times - front page - that the New York City Opera is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy and dissolving:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/ar...dayspaper&_r=0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Very sad news from today's New York Times - front page - that the New York City Opera is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy and dissolving:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/ar...dayspaper&_r=0
    Very sad news indeed.
    It's concerning for the state of things in our culture.
    You read the comments, and see the enormous ignorance. Many clueless commentators are berating the company for putting Anna Nicole Smith on stage (what are they talking about? It's an excellent opera!). No wonder in this sea of ignorance people are not donating to NYCO. The company was started under the applause of Mayor Fiorello La Guardia; one wonders where Mayor Bloomberg (who can perfectly afford a $7M donation) is, letting a major cultural venue in his city go down under his watch.

The one redeeming factor regarding the state of opera in our nation is that apparently and unlike the clueless commentators suggest, the demise of the company has more to do with mismanagement than with opera's popularity or lack thereof - even in today's environment the company continues to sell out its performances, but apparently has had disastrous management for the last several years, including a boneheaded decision of skipping a full season and looting its endowment while the theater was being renovated, instead of doing what they belatedly tried, that is, performing the season elsewhere (e.g. BAM). Other major companies are apparently turning profits again, so more than a symptom of lack of popularity, it may be rather a symptom of incompetent management.

Still, it is extremely sad and it is concerning that no major donors are coming to the rescue of the company.

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post