Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sad to hear this news. The US is the world leader for Opera in my tiny mind and it is sad to hear that a lack of planning and control can allow this to happen. I sincerely hope this issue is resolved.

2. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am particularly sad because, when I first moved to Washington (in 1975..), NYCO toured here each spring. Among the first operas I ever saw were their productions of Mephistofele with a then barely known Samuel Ramey, La Fanciulla del West (only time I recall it performed here), Turandot and Il Barbiere Di Siviglia with Beverly Sills. Alas.

Image of Norman Treigle as Mephistofele from NY City Opera production:

Name:  Treigle.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  24.1 KB

treemaker
    HERE is a link to the full article.

Seattle Opera has given it's fiscal year report and say they erased a deficit and balanced their budget.

But at what cost?

[excerpt] "But the company has also made sacrifices: it has reduced numbers of productions and performances, implemented salary cuts, furloughs, and fee reductions, eliminated staff positions, and put its much-lauded Young Artists Program on hiatus."

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by treemaker View Post
    HERE is a link to the full article.

Seattle Opera has given it's fiscal year report and say they erased a deficit and balanced their budget.

But at what cost?

[excerpt] "But the company has also made sacrifices: it has reduced numbers of productions and performances, implemented salary cuts, furloughs, and fee reductions, eliminated staff positions, and put its much-lauded Young Artists Program on hiatus."
    Mixed news, indeed, but at least, we are happy that they are headed in the right direction in fiscal terms, unlike New York City Opera.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bayerische Staatsoper schedule of live streamed opera. We had fun (in the other place) when we watched Fidelio together. It would be good to do it again with one of these operas, but it's not easy for Nat because of the time difference.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see La Forza del Destino is among them, which is sort of a good news/bad news situation. I'm afraid that, like Fidelio, Forza will not be released in DVD format later.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I see La Forza del Destino is among them, which is sort of a good news/bad news situation. I'm afraid that, like Fidelio, Forza will not be released in DVD format later.
    I think we've discussed this before but you do wonder what the criteria is for filming an opera for DVD release. You often get fans clamouring for a DVD of a particular production/cast & surely houses do accurate market research.

Oh well, I hope you'll be able to watch Forza. What will be the start time where you live?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I think we've discussed this before but you do wonder what the criteria is for filming an opera for DVD release. You often get fans clamouring for a DVD of a particular production/cast & surely houses do accurate market research.
    This is a bit different - it's a decision by the boss. He says that opera should be a one-off event. That's all well and good, but a one-off of Wozzeck at 6am on a Monday morning is going to be a challenge, way to set up the week (I'll try to watch though).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    This is a bit different - it's a decision by the boss. He says that opera should be a one-off event. That's all well and good, but a one-off of Wozzeck at 6am on a Monday morning is going to be a challenge, way to set up the week (I'll try to watch though).
    Are you listening to Fanciulla?

http://oe1.orf.at/konsole?show=live
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

11. Thanks OperaFanNH, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you listening to Fanciulla?

http://oe1.orf.at/konsole?show=live
    Am now...
    Natalie

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, I hope you'll be able to watch Forza. What will be the start time where you live?
    We're six hours behind Germany here, so I don't think the start time would be an issue.

And one would think that, with public subsidies to opera houses being cut left and right these days, that those in charge there would be very receptive to any additional sources of income, such as might acrue from sales of DVDs. But evidently not . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Well. Wozzeck was amazing. Amazing singing, amazing acting, wonderfully dynamic and moving production. If there was a DVD I'd buy it now.
    Natalie

16. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    treemaker
    HERE is the Patrice Chéreau obituary in the New York Times.

They speak well of his Centenary "Ring" but credit him as father of "eurotrash".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by treemaker View Post
    HERE is the Patrice Chéreau obituary in the New York Times.

They speak well of his Centenary "Ring" but credit him as father of "eurotrash".
    Well, let's get it clear: he credits himself:

“He once jokingly told me,” Mr. Gelb said of Mr. Chéreau in an interview, “that he was responsible for the movement disparagingly referred to as ‘Eurotrash,’ because his production of the Ring at Bayreuth, which is now legendary, was the first kind of high-concept operatic production that radically transformed the action.”
    BTW that Elektra from Aix-en-Provence, which is on Arte TV for three more weeks from time of post, is very fine.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Chereau - and quite young at 68. Serious loss to the world of opera.