Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Who is now on his way to Seattle. Watch out for Seattle Opera, the utterly predictable warhorses edition.
    Well, after reading this, I take back what I said:

"He concurrently maintained an international career as a freelance director, staging Brazil's first production of Wagner's Ring at Manaus's Teatro Amazonas, as well as productions of Le Comte Ory (Welsh National Opera), Monteverdi's Il Ritorno d'Ulisse in Patria (Lisbon), The Turn of the Screw (Salzburg) and the British premieres of Frederick Delius's The Magic Fountain (Scottish Opera) and Cornet Christoph Rolke's Song of Love and Death by Siegfried Matthus (Glyndebourne). As artistic director of the Buxton Festival, Lang augmented the festival's repertory with both Baroque and contemporary music."

He does have the capacity to be adventurous. I mean, whoever takes the Ring to Manaus, Brazil, has my respect. Maybe his choices for New Zealand Opera had more to do with local conditions than with his ambitions. Hopefully at Seattle he will be able to expand his horizons more than he was able to do in NZ.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, after reading this, I take back what I said:

"He concurrently maintained an international career as a freelance director, staging Brazil's first production of Wagner's Ring at Manaus's Teatro Amazonas, as well as productions of Le Comte Ory (Welsh National Opera), Monteverdi's Il Ritorno d'Ulisse in Patria (Lisbon), The Turn of the Screw (Salzburg) and the British premieres of Frederick Delius's The Magic Fountain (Scottish Opera) and Cornet Christoph Rolke's Song of Love and Death by Siegfried Matthus (Glyndebourne). As artistic director of the Buxton Festival, Lang augmented the festival's repertory with both Baroque and contemporary music."

He does have the capacity to be adventurous. I mean, whoever takes the Ring to Manaus, Brazil, has my respect. Maybe his choices for New Zealand Opera had more to do with local conditions than with his ambitions. Hopefully at Seattle he will be able to expand his horizons more than he was able to do in NZ.
    He's left us with Traviata, La Boheme and Don Giovanni next year. Even New Zealand can support something more adventurous. I mean, I could have done just as well picking operas out of the top ten warhorses hat.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I mean is, maybe he was under orders, and the Chairman of the Board told him "you pick three operas among the top 10 warhorses or else; we need to fill those seats." Which then, might have been one of the reasons why he left. Artistic directors don't always have the freedom to pick. It seems weird that someone would pick the Ring for Manaus, and Baroque and contemporary music for other venues, but would only pick Trav, Bohme, and DG somewhere else, unless he was told to do so. Just my guess, but if it's the case, then your local company might remain unadventurous in spite of this man's departure.

Maybe what is needed is a reaction from the public. Why don't you write a letter to your company's board? Say that their unimaginative picks have been discussed unfavorably in International web sites such as Opera Lively of which you are a staff member. Maybe this will get you some traction. Sometimes we find out that we're more prestigious than we think.

With good people skills, the criticism would be sandwiched between two pieces of praise - "glad that you are bringing opera to New Zealand..." etc., etc., and would be well received.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

4. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 25 minutes, 9 PM Eastern, Moby Dick with Jay Hunter Morris will be showing on my local PBS station, and I hope also in yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw it. Great show.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recorded it, watched part of it so far. Lively, driving music that seems well suited to the story, and an evocative production. May have to get the DVD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Recorded it, watched part of it so far. Lively, driving music that seems well suited to the story, and an evocative production. May have to get the DVD.
    I watched Moby Dick too and very much enjoyed it. "driving" is a good word for the music, I'd maybe add "sea-worthy" too. There was always a pulse to be found. I enjoyed the whole production, including the lighting, the staging, the smoke and clouds, and even the projected and/or digital effects. (I won't include a spoiler, but I got a kick out of the ending too...predictable, but still brought a smile.)

I'm now listening to Moby Dick (the book) as an audiobook in the car. If interested (and you have a lot of time in the car), here's a link to download MP3's (or other formats) for free:

http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/boo...erman-melville

Another oddity (for me) was that what I thought I'd love most about the opera (Ahab!), was what troubled me the most. I can't put my finger on it, but the singing of Ahab (and I DO like Jay Hunter Morris) was very eerie...maybe even oddly eerie. JHM surely appeared menacing and obsessed, but it's AS IF the musical phrasing of his part was handled differently than all the others in the crew...maybe on purpose, maybe to add to the slightly manic aspect of Ahab, but still it felt a little odd...almost out of place. I'll have to re-watch it and see if I feel the same. (I look forward to that too!)

9. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting article by Keith Cerny, General Director of the The Dallas Opera, highlighting the fact that opera single ticket purchases recently have overtaken subscription sales at the box office. He discusses the practical effects of how this phenomenon figures into how opera companies make their programming decisions.

http://www.theaterjones.com/ntx/feat..._A&promo=19549

If you read through to the bottom of the article, there is a list of his archived earlier articles that sound equally interesting.

11. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro), Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool article. Thanks.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Any Wagner fans out there? (heh-heh!) Well, if you also happen to have an iPad 2 (or later) and are FAST (as in TODAY) there's a very cool app available. Here's the link...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...645473964?mt=8

The app is called The Wagner Files HD. It's an interactive graphic novel of sorts...with tons of pictures, animations, music (of course), and more.

BUT...I SAY AGAIN...I believe this is FREE only for a very short time (probably just TODAY)...so if interested, check it out. I have no idea what price it will become when the FREE offer expires.

Enjoy!

Here's the blurb taken from the link above...

Description

*** Featured in AppsGoneFree. Your daily free app resource. ***

+++ The Wagner Files HD - Interactive Graphic Novel +++
    The Extra-Sensory Wagner Experience

The Wagner Files HD explores exciting ways of storytelling: by the fusion of animations, videos, historical letters, music scores and photographs, Wagner is experienced with all senses.

The story of Wagner's life is told from Hans von Blow's point of view: Starting with the premiere of Rienzi in 1848 until Wagner's death in Venice in 1883.

+++ Features +++
    - 41 pages Graphic Novel illustrated by Flavia Scuderi
    - 240 animated images
    - more than 60 minutes of Wagner's music
    - 23 "interactive points" that provide access to historical documents such as letters, photographs or scores

+++ Four Modes+++
    - Graphic Novel Mode
    - Animation Mode
    - Animation Mode with Audio Version
    - Auto-Play Mode with Audio Version

+++ Special Features+++
    - Music Visualization of the ouverture of "The Flying Dutchman" by US-programmer and composer Stephen Malinowski (who worked on Bjrk's "Biophelia"-App)
    - Photographs of the most important persons in Wagner's life (i.e. Cosima Wagner, Franz Liszt, King Ludwig II., Hermann Levi)
    - hand-written historical letters, original scores
    - rare gramophone records of Wagner's operas from the 1920s and 30s
    - Interviews with Wagner-experts Eva Rieger, Oliver Hilmes, Simone Young, Katharina Wagner and others
    - Interactive map with 33 stages and background information

- Trailer of the film „The Wagner Files“
    - Preview of the Graphic Novel (print) „Wagner“

+++ Languages+++
    - German
    - English
    - French
    - Japanese

WAGNER FILES – The App is part of the cross-medial production “The Culture Files“, consisting of the Graphic Novel “Wagner“ (print) and the documentary “THE WAGNER FILES“ (90/52min). The film is also available on iTunes.

Technical Requirements: iPad 2

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Very interesting article by Keith Cerny, General Director of the The Dallas Opera, highlighting the fact that opera single ticket purchases recently have overtaken subscription sales at the box office. He discusses the practical effects of how this phenomenon figures into how opera companies make their programming decisions.

http://www.theaterjones.com/ntx/feat..._A&promo=19549

If you read through to the bottom of the article, there is a list of his archived earlier articles that sound equally interesting.
    Very interesting, and it explains a few things I'm seeing with my local opera company.

15. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, lots of activity on Opera Lively recently. I'm sorry that I haven't been very active. Please don't think I'm abandoning the site. It's this darn vacation of mine that disrupted everything. In my line of work in my day job, if you dare to take two weeks and two days of vacation, things accumulate so much that you're busy for weeks trying to catch up.

Besides, I have some pending Opera LIvely projects that I'll need to take care of - Laurent Pelly's interview is stalled (I transcribed one third of it in French and then stopped for weeks) and the super-interesting interview with Greek National Opera artistic director maestro Myron Michailidis will be long in the making because he gave me so much information! Then there is volume 2 of our Interviews series, and the stalled project of the Written on Skin guidebook. So I'll continue to be so busy that I won't be able to post much, but I'm glad to see that people are carrying on and keeping the forum very... lively. Thank you all for what you do, and hopefully in a couple of months I'll be done with the backlog and able to contribute more.

17. Likes MAuer, Amfortas, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    NORTH CAROLINA OPERA, NEW MUSIC RALEIGH AND CAM RALEIGH PRESENT

JOHN SUPKO’S ALL SOULS IN CONCERT

Featuring the New Music Raleigh chamber orchestra, vocalist Ashleigh Semkiw and conductor Timothy Myers

RALEIGH, N.C.– Directly following its world premiere at Washington D.C.’s National Gallery of Art, North Carolina Opera, New Music Raleigh and CAM Raleigh will present John Supko’s concert piece ALL SOULS, on Monday, November 25, 7:30 pm at CAM Raleigh.

“In addition to underscoring North Carolina Opera’s commitment to presenting a variety of repertoire from the standard to cutting edge, this collaboration between three young and vibrant Raleigh arts organizations illustrates perfectly how each of us value cross-pollination and connecting to our community,” said NC Opera’s Artistic Director & Principal Conductor Timothy Myers.

Written by composer and Duke University faculty member John Supko, ALL SOULS is a setting of nine excerpts drawn from Cees Nooteboom’s novel All Souls Day. A concert piece utilizing a blend of orchestral composition, electronic sampling, and live and recorded voices, ALL SOULS brings to life the intense relationship of a widowed, middle-aged documentary filmmaker, and a beautiful, mysterious woman half his age, whom he meets in wintery Berlin. Performed by the New Music Raleigh chamber orchestra, under conductor Timothy Myers, the performance features Canadian vocalist Ashleigh Semkiw, an artist known for her breadth of artistry and style.

“New Music Raleigh is honored to be performing the world premiere of ALL SOULS by John Supko. This piece is a demonstration of John's natural ability to compose dramatic, emotionally driven music that creates an experience far beyond what would be typically expected of a small ensemble concert work,” said New Music Raleigh Curator Shawn Galvin. “These performances will be incredibly exciting due, in no small part, to the immense talents of Ashleigh Semkiw and Timothy Myers.”

Name:  timothymyers.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  29.0 KB
    Maestro Timothy Myers

Name:  All Souls.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  91.8 KB
    Soprano Ashleigh Semkiw

"CAM Raleigh is thrilled to be collaborating with the NC Opera and New Music Raleigh. As a museum and an urban community center, we strive to offer visual and performance art experiences that are unique and memorable." ALL SOULS is a fantastic example of this type of programming, and we are excited to partner with these creative organizations," said Gab Smith, Executive Director of CAM Raleigh.

ALL SOULS contains mature content and is not recommended for younger audiences.

The performance, beginning at 7:30 pm, will take place at CAM Raleigh, 409 West Martin Street, Raleigh. Tickets, $25 each, can be purchased through NC Opera - online at www.ncopera.org or by calling the North Carolina Opera offices at 919.792.3850. For more information on ALL SOULS, visit www.ncopera.org/performances/all-souls.

ABOUT NORTH CAROLINA OPERA

North Carolina Opera was formed in 2010 from the merger of Capital Opera Raleigh and The Opera Company of North Carolina. It is dedicated to presenting operatic performances at the highest level throughout the Triangle. We also have a robust education program that brings opera to schools across Wake County and surrounding counties. North Carolina Opera brings international level artists to Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, and also engages the best in local Triangle talent. Information about North Carolina Opera’s programs and events is available on our website www.ncopera.org or by phone at 919.792.3850.

ABOUT NEW MUSIC RALEIGH

New Music Raleigh, founded in 2009, has become the Southeast's leading voice for the presentation of contemporary classical music. NMR is a collective of dynamic musicians that presents cutting-edge new works and collaborations. New Music Raleigh challenges the traditional perception of classical music through carefully constructed programs and partnerships, by engaging and inspiring diverse audiences, and giving voice to today's most innovative and relevant modern music. NMR audiences experience "Classical music you might call hip," (News and Observer). Information about New Music Raleigh’s programs and events visit www.newmusicraleigh.org.

Name:  New Music Raleigh.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  28.0 KB
    New Music Raleigh curators Shawn Galvin and Karen Strittmatter Galvin

ABOUT CAM RALEIGH

CAM Raleigh, The Contemporary Art Museum in North Carolina, seeks to curate the most current and essential works of art and design today--from artists still emerging, growing and living. Opened in April 2011, CAM Raleigh is among the pioneering museums worldwide exploring what is now and is nearing with a sense of urgency. As an urban community center, CAM Raleigh fosters creative thinking, innovation and collaboration through dynamic exhibitions and programs that are fresh and always changing. CAM Raleigh is located at 409 West Martin Street, Raleigh, NC 27603 in downtown Raleigh's Warehouse District. Information about CAM Raleigh's exhibitions, programs and special events is available on the website at www.camraleigh.org or by phone at 919.513.0946. Follow @camraleigh on Twitter.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); November 7th, 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like there is a superb current production of one of my favorite operas - Satyagraha - in London, at the ENO. I wonder if some of our British members have seen it and would comment upon it. Let's hope for a DVD.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...ra-review.html

Post Thanks / Like
    A little heads up to Opera Lively. My own website (winograd.com) is mostly about my software for Macintosh accounting (exciting, eh?). But for fun, I also maintain three Quick Link Pages (QLP) on some of my interests, including opera, ham radio, and physics. I mention this because I just happened to update my Opera QLP page today, and Opera Lively is mentioned often (always positively, except for its effect on my wallet!).

If you're curious, you can check it out here:

http://www.winograd.com/opera

Thanks all...