Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    It sounds quite serious and he's cancelled a further three performances.
    My husband is just recovering from an infection like this and he has been at home in bed for 4 weeks now.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    On the met labor issue, a friend in the area e mailed me that a tentaive agreement was reached. I tried to search a link for the faithful here, but none yet, so it's still unsubstantiated. One can hope ...
    This looks promising

More news
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); August 18th, 2014 at 07:11 PM.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

3. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    My husband is just recovering from an infection like this and he has been at home in bed for 4 weeks now.
    That sounds really bad, 4 weeks is a long time to be ill. Did the doctors give it a name? Hope he gets better soon.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    That sounds really bad, 4 weeks is a long time to be ill. Did the doctors give it a name? Hope he gets better soon.
    Yes, the infection was bacterial and treated with antibiotics, but of course being a doctor himself he has refused to seek any further medical advice for the after-effects. Infuriating.

Hopefully Placidone will be a bit more sensible. He should never have sung in the live broadcast - I'm watching it at the moment and he looks knackered and strained.
    Natalie

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ms. Natalie, I too wish your husband a speedy recovery. Infections are truly debilitating.

But, ma'am, lack of sensibility on matters medical is not limited to medical people. It seems to be a "guy thing". Just ask my SO. She'll tell you at length and ad nauseam. And most of it true.

We like to be "tough"; it's a self image thing. But those little microbes are tough, too, and they don't have testosterone!

7. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We like to be "tough"; it's a self image thing.
    I am a huge baby when sick, and make no bones about it.

9. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the met labor issue, a friend in the area e mailed me that a tentaive agreement was reached. I tried to search a link for the faithful here, but none yet, so it's still unsubstantiated. One can hope ...
    Yes, I saw a link, but I was busy and didn't copy it to paste it here. The link said that an agreement has been reached with 5 guilds including orchestra and chorus, but there are 10 more without an agreement, with an extended deadline of tomorrow at midnight.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Yes, the infection was bacterial and treated with antibiotics, but of course being a doctor himself he has refused to seek any further medical advice for the after-effects. Infuriating.
    Oh boy, four weeks of after-effects, still in bed? That doesn't sound right. There's some factor perpetuating this, that needs to be looked up. Doctors are notoriously terrible to take care of their own health. You need to step in and make him do it, Nat.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like good progress, though I'm uncertain that amount saved by the initial agreement(s) is much more than symbolic, what with $90 million saved over 4 years compared against $1.1 billion spending over 4 years, but it's a start. More to come with other union negotiations proceeding:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/19/ar...pgtype=article

13. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    A ping in an amazon.com opera discussion group indicated that labor issues were resolved at the Met. No backup on that that I could find.

Post Thanks / Like
    A ping in an amazon.com opera discussion group indicated that labor issues were resolved at the Met. No backup on that that I could find.
    Let's hope so.

Post Thanks / Like
    An article about the Met labor agreement:

[clicky]

17. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good choices in the Gramophone awards:

I particularly love the production of L'enfant et les sortilèges on this DVD from Glyndebourne, which won the opera category. In fact I can't imagine it done any better.

I think we have all agreed this is a great opera in a fantastic production. It won the contemporary category.

Der Jonas' exciting "Hoodiereise" got the solo vocal:

And Iestyn Davies' Restoration compilation took the recital:

All richly deserved, IMO.
    Natalie

19. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some good news regarding the budget of a number of American opera companies:

Lyric Opera of Chicago reports a break-even for fiscal year 2014.

Opera Theater of St Louis posted an 8.4 % growth in subscriptions and attendance for the second consecutive year. First-time subscribers volume has doubled over 2013.

Seattle Opera reports a surplus.

Tulsa Opera got a $600,000 bequest from the state of a longtime chorus master, Laven Sowell.

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation has awarded grants of $750,000 each to both Houston Grand Opera and Minnesota Opera for commissioning of new American opera. One of the works commissioned is by our interviewee Kevin Puts for his upcoming new opera The Manchurian Candidate.

21. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Some good news regarding the budget of a number of American opera companies:

Lyric Opera of Chicago reports a break-even for fiscal year 2014.

Opera Theater of St Louis posted an 8.4 % growth in subscriptions and attendance for the second consecutive year. First-time subscribers volume has doubled over 2013.

Seattle Opera reports a surplus.

Tulsa Opera got a $600,000 bequest from the state of a longtime chorus master, Laven Sowell.

The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation has awarded grants of $750,000 each to both Houston Grand Opera and Minnesota Opera for commissioning of new American opera. One of the works commissioned is by our interviewee Kevin Puts for his upcoming new opera The Manchurian Candidate.
    Excellent news

Not so excellent news
    Lucy Maud Montgomery