Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1411
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Is it this production?

    Good lord!! Alma is going to need some serious cough medication!

  2. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  3. #1412
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, these days, Anna's Manon is a bit more discreet than Kristine's Manon.

    Name:  anna-netrebko.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  33.4 KB

    Seriously, I'm guessing that Anna's "artistic differences" with the production might be some requirement of partial nudity, which Anna wouldn't do and Kristine would.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  4. #1413
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    These hamsters don't have cough cough assets cough cough.
    A good Manon Lescaut needs cough cough assets cough cough.
    Kristine Opolais definitely has the required cough cough assets cough cough so I hope they are put to good use in this production.
    Honestly there is no pleasing some people. I offer you a Manon with THREE pairs of assets and she's not wearing any clothes and you just complain.
    Natalie

  5. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva), MAuer liked this post
  6. #1414
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    TMI!!

  7. #1415
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Honestly there is no pleasing some people. I offer you a Manon with THREE pairs of assets and she's not wearing any clothes and you just complain.


    I'm rather hoping the ROH production of Manon Lescaut is released on DVD simply because I want to hear this cast. I also have a hunch Neuenfels' "concept" involves some nudity, but unfortunately for Alma, Nikolaus Bachler has resisted releasing Munich's productions on video.

  8. #1416
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Posts
    843
    Post Thanks / Like
    Got a ping this a.m. that Opera Rara had successfully performed Donizetti's Les Martyrs in concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Singing the leads: Michael Spyres, Joyce El-Khoury and David Kempster. Sir Mark Elder conducted. The performance followed the recording of this work for future release. Opera Today's review was very positive. Save your pennies, kiddies; OR's releases ain't cheap.

  9. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton liked this post
  10. #1417
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad about Opolais ditching the Met's Boheme. I've seen her sing Mimi and she is wonderful!

    MAuer is right about singers not knowing who their Director will be when they sign contracts - five years out for big names. In addition to the German magazine, this issue was highlighted in an Opera News interview with Ferrucio Furlanetto.

    Neuenfels doesn't always do nudity. I saw his production of La Finta Giardiniera in Berlin. Everyone stayed fully clothed (mostly) and, although he updated the (incomprehensible) plot, the opera nonetheless remained, well, incomprehensible. There were a couple of risqué moments (the tenor, in one scene, comes out wearing a pink bustier and prods one of the other singers with an over-large papier mache phallus thing), but nothing serious enough, I don't think, to scare away a singer. Unless one is the tenor, that is ...

  11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  12. #1418
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post


    I'm rather hoping the ROH production of Manon Lescaut is released on DVD simply because I want to hear this cast. I also have a hunch Neuenfels' "concept" involves some nudity, but unfortunately for Alma, Nikolaus Bachler has resisted releasing Munich's productions on video.
    Well, that would be grounds for opening an exception and relinquishing my beef with pirate versions. If anyone can direct me to a DVD of Anna or Kristine where their outstanding vocal and other cough cough assets cough cough are displayed, I'm game!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  13. #1419
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Too bad about Opolais ditching the Met's Boheme. I've seen her sing Mimi and she is wonderful!

    MAuer is right about singers not knowing who their Director will be when they sign contracts - five years out for big names. In addition to the German magazine, this issue was highlighted in an Opera News interview with Ferrucio Furlanetto.

    Neuenfels doesn't always do nudity. I saw his production of La Finta Giardiniera in Berlin. Everyone stayed fully clothed (mostly) and, although he updated the (incomprehensible) plot, the opera nonetheless remained, well, incomprehensible. There were a couple of risqué moments (the tenor, in one scene, comes out wearing a pink bustier and prods one of the other singers with an over-large papier mache phallus thing), but nothing serious enough, I don't think, to scare away a singer. Unless one is the tenor, that is ...
    I'd say the people being probed with the giant phallus thing might be scared too.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  14. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  15. #1420
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    In an interview with a publication identified only as the Kurier that appears on the Jonas' unofficial web site, he sheds a little bit of light on La Bellissima's cancelation in Munich. Sorry to disappoint Alma, but nudity does not seem to be involved here. According to Jonas, Neuenfels has a very cool, matter-of-fact aesthetic. He doesn't go in for very emotional interpretations, but tends to be abstract in his approach. Also, says der Jonas, the chemistry between the diva and the director just didn't seem to work, and he thinks there may have been a linguistic barrier as well. (Which rather puzzles me -- she's an Austrian citizen, so I would expect that she speaks at least passable German.) He observes that this is just the way art is sometimes, but adds that a part of his heart is also with Anna.

  16. #1421
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, that would be grounds for opening an exception and relinquishing my beef with pirate versions. If anyone can direct me to a DVD of Anna or Kristine where their outstanding vocal and other cough cough assets cough cough are displayed, I'm game!
    THe ROH one was on YouTube for a bit, and I'm sure I posted a link, but of course it's gone now. You gotta be quick.
    Natalie

  17. #1422
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Got a ping this a.m. that Opera Rara had successfully performed Donizetti's Les Martyrs in concert at the Royal Festival Hall. Singing the leads: Michael Spyres, Joyce El-Khoury and David Kempster. Sir Mark Elder conducted. The performance followed the recording of this work for future release. Opera Today's review was very positive. Save your pennies, kiddies; OR's releases ain't cheap.
    Newsletter from Opera Rara...

    The broadcast...
    If you weren't lucky enough to attend the concert you can hear this on BBC Radio 3 this Saturday, 15 November 2014, at 6.15pm (GMT). To aid your listening we have put a pdf of the libretto on our website.

  18. #1423
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Newsletter from Opera Rara...

    The broadcast...
    If you weren't lucky enough to attend the concert you can hear this on BBC Radio 3 this Saturday, 15 November 2014, at 6.15pm (GMT). To aid your listening we have put a pdf of the libretto on our website.
    I can't find the pdf. Could you post a link?



    As you were. Link.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  19. #1424
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alma will be happy to learn that La Bellissima has received Germany's Echo Klassik Award this year in the category of Best Female Singer.

    http://www.echoklassik.de/en/klassik-preistraeger-2014/

    It's buried near the bottom of the list, but der Jonas' Verdi album also won the award for best solo vocal recording.

  20. #1425
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Alma will be happy to learn that La Bellissima has received Germany's Echo Klassik Award this year in the category of Best Female Singer.
    Well, duh, that's just their obligation, because she *is* the best!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS