Thread: News

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1426
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    A news clip in the November issue of Opera Now (http://www.rhinegold.co.uk/magazines/opera_now/) is reporting that the Rome Opera fired its entire chorus and orchestra in November, an apparent cost-saving measure for a house that was pulled from the brink of bankruptcy this past summer by a name change and some legislative finagling by the national government. It looks as though they'll try to engage choristers and musicians on flexible contracts or hire visiting ensembles. According to the clip, several major European houses use this model, among them Amsterdam's Dutch National Opera and Madrid's Teatro Real.

    And Dominique Meyer, the Intendant of the Vienna State Opera, continues to "win friends and influence people," to borrow the title of a mid-20th century self-help book. According to another clip, conductor Bertrand de Billy has canceled four engagements at the house. This follows Franz Welser-Möst's resignation as General Music Director in September and cancelation of all of his engagements to conduct at the Staatsoper. Both conductors explained their decisions by referencing conflicts with Meyer.

    @ D_A: You may want to stop by a Barnes and Noble to see if this issue is in stock. Your favorite soprano is the cover girl and there's a nice feature about the box set of her remastered recordings from the Abbey Road studios.

  2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  3. #1427
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    A news clip in the November issue of Opera Now (http://www.rhinegold.co.uk/magazines/opera_now/) is reporting that the Rome Opera fired its entire chorus and orchestra in November, an apparent cost-saving measure
    Massimo Cavalletti broke this news to us in his recent interview with us.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  4. #1428
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    An English-language review of the Bavarian State Opera's new production of Manon Lescaut, from Jonas Kaufmann's unofficial web site:

    http://www.jkaufmann.info/reviews_en...Muenchen15.htm



    It's a Hans Neuenfels production, all right. (Wish der Jonas would shave that beard.)

  5. #1429
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    An English-language review of the Bavarian State Opera's new production of Manon Lescaut, from Jonas Kaufmann's unofficial web site:

    http://www.jkaufmann.info/reviews_en...Muenchen15.htm



    It's a Hans Neuenfels production, all right. (Wish der Jonas would shave that beard.)
    Hehe, this is quite funny. The likely European reviewer finds that it's just business as usual and can't see what the "artistic differences" are, while commenting upon the "red-haired oompa-loompas in silver spacesuits," Edmondo "in circus master attire" and the "purple priests' robes and crosses."
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  6. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
  7. #1430
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    A news clip in the November issue of Opera Now (http://www.rhinegold.co.uk/magazines/opera_now/) is reporting that the Rome Opera fired its entire chorus and orchestra in November, an apparent cost-saving measure for a house that was pulled from the brink of bankruptcy this past summer by a name change and some legislative finagling by the national government. It looks as though they'll try to engage choristers and musicians on flexible contracts or hire visiting ensembles. According to the clip, several major European houses use this model, among them Amsterdam's Dutch National Opera and Madrid's Teatro Real.

    And Dominique Meyer, the Intendant of the Vienna State Opera, continues to "win friends and influence people," to borrow the title of a mid-20th century self-help book. According to another clip, conductor Bertrand de Billy has canceled four engagements at the house. This follows Franz Welser-Möst's resignation as General Music Director in September and cancelation of all of his engagements to conduct at the Staatsoper. Both conductors explained their decisions by referencing conflicts with Meyer.

    @ D_A: You may want to stop by a Barnes and Noble to see if this issue is in stock. Your favorite soprano is the cover girl and there's a nice feature about the box set of her remastered recordings from the Abbey Road studios.
    I can't seem to find it on the New York Times' website, but there was a short item in yesterday's (Wed, 11/19) NYT "The Arts" section that says the Rome Opera has backed away from firing182 musicians, having reached an agreement with them that will keep them on staff in exchange for pay cuts and their pledge not to strike. Rome Opera claims the agreement will save some 3 million Euros/year and also would require the musicians to take cuts to overtime pay and bonuses.

    Must have hired that guy from San Diego...

  8. Likes MAuer liked this post
  9. #1431
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would start a 2015/2016 Season thread to highlight this item, but it probably is jumping the gun a bit.

    Luiz, in comments on the Washington National Opera, dropped the news that WNO will be staging 3 cycles of Wagner's Ring in 2016. Upon returning from the Thanksgiving holiday, I had the full brochure announcing the Ring waiting in my mailbox. WNO's Ring was initiated as an "American Ring" that was done in partnership with San Francisco Opera, and was staged there several years ago.

    For those who are interested, here is the cast list and the obligatory pre-ticketing donation schedule to get in line for the best seats:

    http://web.kennedy-center.org/Marketing/Ring/Landing

  10. Thanks Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
  11. #1432
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I would start a 2015/2016 Season thread to highlight this item, but it probably is jumping the gun a bit.

    Luiz, in comments on the Washington National Opera, dropped the news that WNO will be staging 3 cycles of Wagner's Ring in 2016. Upon returning from the Thanksgiving holiday, I had the full brochure announcing the Ring waiting in my mailbox. WNO's Ring was initiated as an "American Ring" that was done in partnership with San Francisco Opera, and was staged there several years ago.

    For those who are interested, here is the cast list and the obligatory pre-ticketing donation schedule to get in line for the best seats:

    http://web.kennedy-center.org/Marketing/Ring/Landing
    Oh wow, they got Nina Stemme for cycle III!!!! I know already what cycle I'll be attending!!!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  12. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  13. #1433
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Oh wow, they got Nina Stemme for cycle III!!!! I know already what cycle I'll be attending!!!
    Me too!

    Unfortunately, I don't recognize most of the rest of the cast, excepting Gordon Hawkins, Alan Held and Soloman Howard. Soloman Howard is a local DC resident who has been training with WNO and is a really wonderful bass. So far he was been relegated to comprimario roles, so Fafner will be more advanced billing, and a great opportunity for him.

  14. #1434
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Me too!

    Unfortunately, I don't recognize most of the rest of the cast, excepting Gordon Hawkins, Alan Held and Soloman Howard. Soloman Howard is a local DC resident who has been training with WNO and is a really wonderful bass. So far he was been relegated to comprimario roles, so Fafner will be more advanced billing, and a great opportunity for him.
    Christopher Ventris, the British tenor, is quite famous. I know Elizabeth Bishop and William Burden; I've heard Elizabeth live two or three times, and William once. They are both good. We've interviewed Elizabeth a while ago, and Gordon Hawkins more recently. Ryan McKinny is also quite good, and also a former OL interviewee. Other than Nina Stemme of course, that's about it for me. I don't know anyone else.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  15. #1435
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Me too!

    Unfortunately, I don't recognize most of the rest of the cast, excepting Gordon Hawkins, Alan Held and Soloman Howard. Soloman Howard is a local DC resident who has been training with WNO and is a really wonderful bass. So far he was been relegated to comprimario roles, so Fafner will be more advanced billing, and a great opportunity for him.
    Meagan Miller sang Primadonna/Ariadne in the Ariadne auf Naxos which I saw in Warsaw. She is superb.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  16. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  17. #1436
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is good news. There are people interested in resurrecting New York City Opera. Every time I think of the company's demise, I get sad, so it will be wonderful if it comes back.

    [clicky]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  18. Likes Hoffmann, Clayton liked this post
  19. #1437
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Meagan Miller sang Primadonna/Ariadne in the Ariadne auf Naxos which I saw in Warsaw. She is superb.
    So what I get from the ones Hoffman knows, the ones I know, and the one Annie knows, seemingly this is a very good cast, with some great international names and some very good domestic singers. Hopefully this will be a very good Ring. I very much want WNO to do well and step up to a position of leadership and prestige as a national opera company, providing some competition to the Met and the other big companies, not to forget that the better these national companies do, the more hiring opportunities for the singers, and the more vitality in the American operatic environment.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  20. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
  21. #1438
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,795
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    This is good news. There are people interested in resurrecting New York City Opera. Every time I think of the company's demise, I get sad, so it will be wonderful if it comes back.

    [clicky]
    Interesting. At first the whole thing sounded a bit tenuous (they would pay next to nothing for essentially just the name) but the investment group's own website indicates a planned season for 2015 in Lincoln Center's Rose Theater.

    Here's hoping they pull it off.

  22. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  23. #1439
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    This is good news. There are people interested in resurrecting New York City Opera. Every time I think of the company's demise, I get sad, so it will be wonderful if it comes back.

    [clicky]
    The NY City Opera situation is so unfortunate. I saw some of my first operas with this company, and it's all very sad.

    The situation, as I read it, still sounds messy. Investors investing in opera? A $5 million endowment still up in the air? What is it about this that makes me skeptical?

    It is good news that folks are still interested in resurrecting/reinventing a venerable name. I only hope that when someone undertakes the effort they do it right.

  24. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  25. #1440
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    The NY City Opera situation is so unfortunate. I saw some of my first operas with this company, and it's all very sad.

    The situation, as I read it, still sounds messy. Investors investing in opera? A $5 million endowment still up in the air? What is it about this that makes me skeptical?

    It is good news that folks are still interested in resurrecting/reinventing a venerable name. I only hope that when someone undertakes the effort they do it right.
    It's evolving in the right direction, with already 2.6 million. The old board has signed agreement, now it is up to the bankruptcy court.

    http://www.operacandy.com/new-new-york-city-opera/
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  26. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS