Thread: News

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Just don't throw tomatoes; we don't do that anymore.
    not even in Napoli?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've received this announcement from the Philharmonia Orchestra and we're happy to diffuse it:

-----------

We'’ve just launched a new episode of our audio podcast, Backstage Pass, about our recent production of Maurice Ravel's opera, 'L'Enfant et les Sortilèges'. This episode features interviews with soloists Barbara Hannigan, Chloe Briot, Omo Bello and Jean-Sebastien Bou, as well as conductor Esa-Pekka Salonen. We thought this podcast would be of special interest to operalively.com and its followers, particularly fans of Barbara Hannigan and French opera.

The podcast is available on SoundCloud at the following link and will be available on iTunes shortly-

https://soundcloud.com/philharmonia/...ing-with-ravel

Please feel free to share the podcast across social media, or any other relevant platform. We're particularly excited about this podcast, given the positive reception of the performance, and are keen to share it.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

3. Likes Floria, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking forward to listening to the Saturday performance of Carmen with Jonas Kaufmann and Elina Garanca and came across this.

The Met announced that Kaufmann has cancelled his March 4th performance of Carmen. He is suffering with the flu and was unable to travel this past Sunday. He hopes to recover and be able to make the March 7th matinee performance. Younghoon Lee is to replace Kaufmann for the March 4th performance.

5. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Floria View Post
    I was looking forward to listening to the Saturday performance of Carmen with Jonas Kaufmann and Elina Garanca and came across this.

The Met announced that Kaufmann has cancelled his March 4th performance of Carmen. He is suffering with the flu and was unable to travel this past Sunday. He hopes to recover and be able to make the March 7th matinee performance. Younghoon Lee is to replace Kaufmann for the March 4th performance.
    Younghoon Lee is more of a Calaf than a José, sounds good but lacks subtlety. Good-looking though.
    Natalie

7. Thanks Floria thanked for this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fingers crossed . . .

9. Likes Floria liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't feel too bad - below is the NYT article about the cancellation, also highlighting that online ticket were selling tickets for the Grand Tier (whatever that is) for about $1,000!

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...t/?src=me&_r=0

All that for a tenor
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); March 4th, 2015 at 06:15 AM.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    ... highlighting that online ticket were selling tickets for the Grand Tier (whatever that is) for about $1,000!

All that for a tenor
    I get so cross when the price gets hiked for stars like Kaufmann. Top price for the recent Andrea Chénier with Kaufmann was £265 ($407). Top price for Falstaff with Ambrogio Maestri, who is a superb singer, is £141 ($217). I have nothing against Kaufmann getting whatever fee he can command but I wish ROH would even out the prices a bit.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

12. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if anything, I think it is worse in the U.S. than elsewhere because there is no government support outside of occasional grants where the funds always must be spent on specific projects that are anything but direct subsidies.

I am aware that there is ongoing concern in Berlin, where the City (and, I would guess, state and federal) government subsidies help support their three major opera houses. The companies may have had their support reduced, but all three companies remain in business

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    if anything, I think it is worse in the U.S. than elsewhere because there is no government support outside of occasional grants where the funds always must be spent on specific projects that are anything but direct subsidies.

I am aware that there is ongoing concern in Berlin, where the City (and, I would guess, state and federal) government subsidies help support their three major opera houses. The companies may have had their support reduced, but all three companies remain in business
    Opera all over Europe seems to be thriving.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't feel too bad - below is the NYT article about the cancellation, also highlighting that online ticket were selling tickets for the Grand Tier (whatever that is) for about $1,000!

All that for a tenor
    The craziest thing I did in terms of operatic expenses, was when I spent a huge amount to see Lisette Oropesa as Gilda. The thing is, I interviewed her and found her lovely.

Name:  08-lisette-oropesa_verylarge.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  93.6 KB

I was in New York City for other operas and was leaving the next day. She was performing in the evening, when I was supposed to be gone. So I suddenly had the impulse of seeing her performance. I changed the flight, paid the changing penalty to the airline (two tickets, my wife was with me), paid another night of hotel, and bought the two Met tickets (good orchestra seats), not to forget that we had to eat more restaurant meals. The additional expense adding up all of that came up to about $2,000. I enjoyed the show. I don't regret it. I then took my wife backstage to meet Lisette and her husband, it was all very pleasant. Lisette is very sweet and friendly and her husband is a nice guy.

For a tenor? Nah... I wouldn't have done it for a tenor...
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); March 4th, 2015 at 06:16 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realise that $1,000 was the price from what we call a ticket tout. I thought that was the price the Met was charging!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I didn't realise that $1,000 was the price from what we call a ticket tout. I thought that was the price the Met was charging!
    I love it when something like this happens and scalpers lose money. I hope they got stuck with unsold tickets. I hate scalpers.

19. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sir Simon Rattle is to join the London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) as its music director...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-31696988

21. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All that for a tenor
    Ah yes, but what a tenor!!
    I think I'm suffering from a chronic case of Jonasmania.

23. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Floria's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jonas Kaufmann has canceled his performance as Don José in Bizet’s Carmen this Saturday, March 7 matinee, as he is still ill with the flu and unable to travel to New York. Yonghoon Lee, who substituted for Kaufmann at last evening’s performance, has agreed to sing Don José on Saturday.