Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Operas by Wagner on DVD/Blu-Ray/CD

Bookmark and Share
    Schigolch
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchie View Post
    - There is about 10 minutes cut from some of the most sublime music in Act 2. Why it was necessary to cut 10 minutes from a 4 hour opera I'll never know. It occurs right before the Liebesnacht and for people familiar with the opera the whole duet goes on to feel premature.
    I don't know about this production, but one fairly common reason to do this kind of cuts is sometimes not to go beyond a defined time, after which you have to pay extra fares to the orchestra and chorus.

Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    I don't know about this production, but one fairly common reason to do this kind of cuts is sometimes not to go beyond a defined time, after which you have to pay extra fares to the orchestra and chorus.
    Cutting Wagner for financial reasons? I'm sure he just did a violent barrel roll in his grave.

3. Likes Nekrotzar liked this post
    Schigolch
    In this case, it sounds more like a rolling scissors.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg

This is a new and very good addition to the Meistersinger collection of recordings. Marek Janowski and the Berlin Rundfunk-Sinfonieorchester provide a fast paced and thrilling account of the score. They are ably assisted by Rundfunk choir who are in great voice. This is a live recording and is available in hybrid SACD and therefore it is great quality sound.

The cast on the whole for a modern Wagner recording are very good. Albert Dohmen is very good as Hans Sachs and Robert Dean Smith is a fine Von Stolzing. Edith Haller is a wonderfully fresh Eva. The possible weak link is Dietrich Henschel as Beckmesser who seems to lack the character of the role.

Other than that I would recommend this to anyone who wants to add to their Meistersinger collection.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    - Brangäne, Kurwenal, Marke: All exceptional.
    Really? Bo Skovhus was the one big drawback to an otherwise very wonderful Tristan. But that might just be because I don't like him.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Really? Bo Skovhus was the one big drawback to an otherwise very wonderful Tristan. But that might just be because I don't like him.
    Who does?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

8. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Who does?
    True. Very true. But he was actually very good in the Decca recording of Nielsen's Maskarade. I was surprised myself.

Senior Member Involved Member Couchie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    His acting was a bit hammy, but who cares, it's opera. I couldn't really fault him for the vocals.

Post Thanks / Like
    His acting was a bit hammy, but who cares, it's opera. I couldn't really fault him for the vocals.
    Oh, nevermind the acting, it's his singing I don't like.

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I acquired this on download (I don't need another Parsifal libretto). This is the third in the Pentatone series of Wagner recordings. It is a pretty good effort but cannot compare to any of the great recordings. However it does well against some of the more modern recordings like Gergiev. Janowski tempi is pacey and this does lose a little bit of the power in Act 1. Frans-Josef Selig has improved as Gurnemanz since his Thielemann recording. Yvgeny Nikitin has also improved as Amfortas compared to the Gergiev recording. His German has improved (I wonder since he is playing the Dutchman at Bayreuth this year).Things do pick up very well in Act 2. Michelle De Young is a very good Kundry and is a powerful temptress.

Christian Elsner is not a name I recall previously. He is a pretty good Parsifal in todays standards but does not meet the standards of a Windgassen.

So overall a pretty good effort if you want a modern Parsifal and is certainly better than Gergiev's effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today I rewatched the Munich 2009 Lohengrin with Jonas Kaufmann and Anja Harteros. It's the first time I've seen it since I saw the premiere in Munich, and it was every bit as good now as then.
    I don't really have anything to say about it, other than that I agree with Nat's review a little further up, and that you should all see it. Now.

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Tristan recording Ive got is Furtwangler's legendary one from the 50s which I love, but Ive decided to also invest in a more recent one so I can take advantage of the better sound quality and enjoy the full orchestral textures. Any recommendations?

Schigolch

I do like this one.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post

I do like this one.
    Really? Me too, although I always feel as though I shouldn't.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that recommendation. Can you give any comments about why you like it?
    Ive been reading a bunch of reviews and overviews of the recordings available and have order the Bohm/Bayreuth just because...
    and for my 'modern' recording im wondering about the Pappano, Barenboim and Thielemann sets. Are you familiar with the latter two?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast