Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CD/Blu-ray/DVD-related chat (exception here: not a thread for reviews)

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can anyone tell me which other performances at Teatro Giuseppe Verdi, Busseto have been released on DVD? I've got these.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's it.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I think that's it.

Thanks Nat.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the C Major "Tutto Verdi" series were filmed in the Teatro Giuseppi Verdi. Atilla is one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    Some of the C Major "Tutto Verdi" series were filmed in the Teatro Giuseppi Verdi. Atilla is one.

You mean this?

Looks like I'm going to have to get it eventually!!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if there are any complete recordings of Lucio Silla on period instruments? CD or DVD....

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ComposerOfAvantGarde View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any complete recordings of Lucio Silla on period instruments? CD or DVD....
    Yes

Lucio Silla

Conductor Nikolaus Harnoncourt - 1989 (live composite recording)

Orchestra - Concentus Musicus Wien
    Chorus - Arnold Schönberg Chor
    Lucio Silla - Peter Schreier
    Giunia - Edita Gruberova
    Cecilio - Cecilia Bartoli
    Celia - Dawn Upshaw
    Cinna - Yvonne Kenny

Teldec CD, aslo available as part of the Mozart 250th birthday edition by Warner Classics

Available on Amazon: [clicky]

As for being complete, it is somewhat abridged, with 4 missing arias and some trimming of the recitatives. The running time is 154 minutes.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 2nd, 2014 at 03:56 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

8. Thanks Nekrotzar thanked for this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please excuse me if this is not the right topic but I let myself convince to buy a new multi player .
    DVD and Blue ray, so the question is........where to start, I don't going down the road to replace all my discs.
    To make myself looks like a snob ... I don't really like the package of blue ray but that aside....
    Where to go next?

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Please excuse me if this is not the right topic but I let myself convince to buy a new multi player .
    DVD and Blue ray, so the question is........where to start, I don't going down the road to replace all my discs.
    To make myself looks like a snob ... I don't really like the package of blue ray but that aside....
    Where to go next?
    My plan would be to visit your favourite department store (physically or electronically) like in the UK John Lewis

http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/elec...d-bars/_/N-akq

and get a rough idea of spending plan and what kind of device I like the looks of (I think looks are important for a large device that you are going to share your home and love with)

and what the prices are. Then to understand what the differences in performances are, I want to go to consult an organization dedicated to comparing these (understanding that they may have other interests like sponsorship) like What hi fi

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/be...y-players-2015

Armed with a better understanding of what I want, I can adjust my spending plan accordingly. Then if I understand that for my intended spending plan the differences in performance are minimal, I will just choose the model I like the looks of and check prices with different vendors (but only purchase from those that are trusted!).

Of course during this I would continue to keep forum members posted on progress!

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    My plan would be to visit your favourite department store (physically or electronically) like in the UK John Lewis

http://www.johnlewis.com/browse/elec...d-bars/_/N-akq

and get a rough idea of spending plan and what kind of device I like the looks of (I think looks are important for a large device that you are going to share your home and love with)

and what the prices are. Then to understand what the differences in performances are, I want to go to consult an organization dedicated to comparing these (understanding that they may have other interests like sponsorship) like What hi fi

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/be...y-players-2015

Armed with a better understanding of what I want, I can adjust my spending plan accordingly. Then if I understand that for my intended spending plan the differences in performance are minimal, I will just choose the model I like the looks of and check prices with different vendors (but only purchase from those that are trusted!).

Of course during this I would continue to keep forum members posted on progress!

Thank you for the advice, I do have a store where I buy all my equipment, that's not the problem
    (get even a reasonable discount as valued customer)
    My problem is that I don't want to go buying DVD's I already own in Blue Ray.
    Being their, done that from L.P to CD and from Tape to DVD.
    I think I just have to look at new recordings on blue ray from now on.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the advice, I do have a store where I buy all my equipment, that's not the problem
    Last year we moved to smaller quarters. As part of the downsizing, we got a flat screen HD TV. The old set didn't have the horsepower to display HD DVDs, but the new one does, so I ended up replacing many older DVDs with Blu ray, because the picture and sound are so dramatically better in Blu ray that the temptation was overwhelming.

(Of course, I am notoriously weak willed anyway ...)

Be warned about Blu ray.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Blu ray player makes even my regular DVDs look better, so it's a worthwhile investment no matter what format you watch.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you need to throw away your DVDs. Blu-ray players can play both, and most modern DVDs are decent quality and I wouldn't spend money buying the exact same production on Blu-ray. I'd buy from now on, every production that interests you and comes in both formats, on Blu-ray. Besides, there are plenty of productions that exist on DVD but not on blu-ray so even if you wanted to replace your entire collection you wouldn't be able to, so you'll still have to live with DVDs even after you buy your blu-ray player.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

15. Thanks Adrian thanked for this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3