Page 140 of 499 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 LastLast
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 7478

Thread: What opera have you been listening to, lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #2086
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Verdi: La Traviata
    Strauss, R: Der Rosenkavalier



    I just joined today! As an opera newbie, you'll see me listen to very basic repertoire for a while. I heard La Traviata for the first time only six months ago!

    Richard Strauss does not disappoint with his fabulous orchestration; the music is so good that I haven't even read the entire libretto but enjoying it very much without following the story.
    That's a recording of La Traviata I love.

    And that's a recording of Der Rosenkavalier that's on my wish list.

    I open my account this morning with Handel.

    Ariodante
    Joyce DiDonato (Ariodante), Karina Gauvin (Ginevra), Marie-Nicole Lemieux (Polinesso), Sabina Puértolas (Dalinda), Topi Lehtipuu (Lurcanio), Matthew Brook (King of Scotland), Anicio Zorzi Giustiniani (Odoardo)
    Il Complesso Barocco,
    Alan Curtis

    Name:  ariodante.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  31.0 KB

  2. #2087
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donizetti: Roberto Devereux
    Edita Gruberova (Elisabetta), Delores Ziegler (Sara), Don Bernadini (Roberto), Ettore Kim (Nottingham), Benoit Boutet (Lord Cecil), Merih Kazbek (Sir Gualtiero Raleigh), Francois Richert (Un Paggio/Un Familiare)
    Orchestre Philharmonique de Strasbourg, Choeurs de l'Opéra du Rhin,
    Friedrich Haider
    Recorded 19.-23. 03. 1994., Palais de la Musique et des Congres, Strasbourg

    Name:  Roberto Devereux Gruberova Ziegler Bernardini Kim Haider.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  38.1 KB

    Edita wonderful.

    recording cover design, not so good.

  3. #2088
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Posts
    1,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Verdi: La Traviata
    Strauss, R: Der Rosenkavalier



    I just joined today! As an opera newbie, you'll see me listen to very basic repertoire for a while. I heard La Traviata for the first time only six months ago!

    Richard Strauss does not disappoint with his fabulous orchestration; the music is so good that I haven't even read the entire libretto but enjoying it very much without following the story.
    We discuss this here often, I think the best way to get started in opera when possible is to buy a good DVD or Blu ray of an opera and use subtitles to learn the story and words to songs associated with actions on stage.....then in future when you listen to CD you already have scences to visualize in your head instead of trying to read libretto while listening to music

    For instance the Gheorghiu Traviata has very good DVD for reasonable price used.......


  4. Likes PoloniumCyanide liked this post
  5. #2089
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    221
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd agree, I mean, I love classical music, but there's something about seeing it, knowing the characters, then recreating scenarios in your head when you listen to a CD. IF I don't like the characters, I will then just delete them from memory and still listen to the CD for the music's sake

  6. #2090
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or...

    Sometimes the synopsis, the music and an over active imagination is perfectly sufficient to enjoy the opera at first.
    Read the synopsis later when you are more curious.

    I think I am in a very small minority with this approach though...

    Anyway, I have decided to travel from Elizabethan England to Venice, 15th century.

    Verdi: I Due Foscari
    Piero Cappuccilli (Francesco Foscari), José Carreras (Jacopo Foscari), Katia Ricciarelli (Lucrezia Contarini), Samuel Ramey (Jacopo Loredano), Vincenzo Bello (Barbarigo), Elizabeth Connell (Pisana), Franz Handlos (Servo de Doge), Mieczyslaw Antoniak (Fante del Consiglio de' Dieci)
    ORF Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Vienna,
    Lamberto Gardelli
    Recorded - Vienna, June 1976

    Name:  I due Foscari Katia Riciarelli Jose Carreras Pierro Cappuccilli Samuel Ramey Lamberto Gardelli.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  45.1 KB

    I need some Jose Carreras.

  7. #2091
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious to see how the ROH version of Written on Skin compared with the Aix version which I had seen on Youtube about 18 months ago when it premiered - same cast, director etc. Although the Aix version was stunning, the cast has grown so much into their roles that this performance was totally electrifying. I think it's a brilliant opera, but I don't know if I could bear to watch it with anyone but Barbara Hannigan as Agnès. It's confirmed my view of her as a force of nature. And Purves and Mehta are also excellent.

    Everyone MUST own this.

    Natalie

  8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Amfortas liked this post
  9. #2092
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Or...

    Sometimes the synopsis, the music and an over active imagination is perfectly sufficient to enjoy the opera at first.
    Read the synopsis later when you are more curious.

    I think I am in a very small minority with this approach though...

    Anyway, I have decided to travel from Elizabethan England to Venice, 15th century.

    Verdi: I Due Foscari
    Piero Cappuccilli (Francesco Foscari), José Carreras (Jacopo Foscari), Katia Ricciarelli (Lucrezia Contarini), Samuel Ramey (Jacopo Loredano), Vincenzo Bello (Barbarigo), Elizabeth Connell (Pisana), Franz Handlos (Servo de Doge), Mieczyslaw Antoniak (Fante del Consiglio de' Dieci)
    ORF Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, Vienna,
    Lamberto Gardelli
    Recorded - Vienna, June 1976

    Name:  I due Foscari Katia Riciarelli Jose Carreras Pierro Cappuccilli Samuel Ramey Lamberto Gardelli.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  45.1 KB

    I need some Jose Carreras.
    I'm there with you. I close my eyes and listen to cds and imagine.
    I love the music.
    Especially with modern productions, I find disappointment and unintended laughter.

  10. #2093
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody help me.

    The house next door is being renovated and U.S. labor is too expensive, so investors use Latin American labor. Worse, the house, being empty except for hard surfaces, is one big echo chamber. So: Mariachi. All day.

    I drowned them out with Les Huguenots for a while - then with Rigoletto. It worked pretty well until they started singing along.

    I need me one of Alma's nuclear devices.

  11. Likes MAuer liked this post
  12. #2094
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    We discuss this here often, I think the best way to get started in opera when possible is to buy a good DVD or Blu ray of an opera and use subtitles to learn the story and words to songs associated with actions on stage.....then in future when you listen to CD you already have scences to visualize in your head instead of trying to read libretto while listening to music

    For instance the Gheorghiu Traviata has very good DVD for reasonable price used.......

    I got the other La Traviata by Gheorghiu on Blu Ray. It was my first opera video I watched. I would say the video was the biggest reason I was able to really get into opera. Seeing the singers in action and beautiful stage production go really far.

    Still listening to Der Rosenkavalier while reading synopsis.

  13. #2095
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Somebody help me.

    The house next door is being renovated and U.S. labor is too expensive, so investors use Latin American labor. Worse, the house, being empty except for hard surfaces, is one big echo chamber. So: Mariachi. All day.

    I drowned them out with Les Huguenots for a while - then with Rigoletto. It worked pretty well until they started singing along.

    I need me one of Alma's nuclear devices.
    Oh goodness, I can sympathise, except that NZ builders listen to commercial radio with inane pop and 120812789482364018531 adverts an hour. I blast Wagner. My recording of the Ring with Nilsson has its uses.
    Natalie

  14. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post
  15. #2096
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Somebody help me.

    The house next door is being renovated and U.S. labor is too expensive, so investors use Latin American labor. Worse, the house, being empty except for hard surfaces, is one big echo chamber. So: Mariachi. All day.

    I drowned them out with Les Huguenots for a while - then with Rigoletto. It worked pretty well until they started singing along.

    I need me one of Alma's nuclear devices.
    Drown them with Parsifal. That will do it!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  16. #2097
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I was curious to see how the ROH version of Written on Skin compared with the Aix version which I had seen on Youtube about 18 months ago when it premiered - same cast, director etc. Although the Aix version was stunning, the cast has grown so much into their roles that this performance was totally electrifying. I think it's a brilliant opera, but I don't know if I could bear to watch it with anyone but Barbara Hannigan as Agnès. It's confirmed my view of her as a force of nature. And Purves and Mehta are also excellent.

    Everyone MUST own this.

    Hey! That's why you must vote for Written on Skin in our list of recommended operas! I've been voting alone for it since the batch of 11-20!

    PS - Over here its' in pre-order; it will be released on January 28.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  17. #2098
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    3,328
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  DerFreischütz.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  54.6 KB

    Great singing on this recording!

  18. #2099
    Senior Member Involved Member Itullian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    So. Cal.
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Name:  DerFreischütz.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  54.6 KB

    Great singing on this recording!
    My favorite Freischutz.

  19. #2100
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Somebody help me.

    The house next door is being renovated...

    1. How about take some Die Walküre length walks with your iPod (mind the traffic if using your new noise cancelling earphones) and take some more pictures for the "where I live thread"!

    2. Unexpected visit to out of state concert/opera house which your friends has always been mentioning to try to get you to visit them but you've slightly rudely never followed through (only mildly curious).

    3. Method acting; buy a six pack of yellow beer and some tortilla chips from the supermarket, stick on the "TV" with a soccer match and see if you can get in to character and enjoy the mariachi.

    4. Consult with your otolaryngologist and architect to fully understand the limits before starting a sound off.

    5. Go to library and borrow book on how to meditate. Practise there (nice and quiet) whilst pretending to read, for a couple of days until you're up to challenge of mariachi builders.

    6. Pharmaceutical options.

    Whatever option you decide, good luck,
    and peace be with you, my friend.


    whatever that means.

Page 140 of 499 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you been listening to, lately?
    By Hoffmann in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 699
    Last Post: November 19th, 2017, 05:27 PM
  2. Current Symphonic Listening
    By Samurai in forum Non-Operatic, Non-Vocal Classical Music
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: February 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS