Page 484 of 498 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 LastLast
Results 7,246 to 7,260 of 7458

Thread: What opera have you been listening to, lately?

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #7246
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I finished up Act III of Lohengrin from my walk the other day, because I couldn't stand not hearing "In fernem Land":


    Attachment 10569

    Every time I listen to this, I know why I love it so much: Jess Thomas' clarion singing, Elizabeth Grümmer's effortless and expressive Elsa and DFD's Telramund. Oh, and Rudolf Kempe's perfectly paced conducting...
    One of those days I'm not following the cricket; I'm following Hoffmann here today.

  2. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  3. #7247
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like


    I'm hungry for some more Russian opera! From the depths of the unlistened-to-pile, I'm trying Tchaikovsky's Queen of Spades for the first time. So far so good! I plan to collect more Tchaikovsky opera in the near future.

  4. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  5. #7248
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Berkhamsted, UK
    Posts
    4,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a few favourites in this thread

    http://operalively.com/forums/showth...-Russian-opera

    and The legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the maiden Fevroniya is still my favourite

    Name:  Rimsky-Korsakov, The Legend of the Invisible City of Kitezh and the Maiden Fevroniya - Valery Ge.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  71.8 KB

  6. #7249
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still trying to get into this, but the one with Janet Baker and Valerie Masterson is so much better. This one must be a studio recording, just seems very passive, without life.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  7. #7250
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  8. #7251
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    510
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of recent travel so a fair amount of Opera listened to. Listened to all of this for the firs time in absolutely ages
    Name:  51svs8YfFIL._PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  49.5 KB

    Really do like Onegin a lot but because it's in Russian I cant mouth along as often as I can with my Italian or German operas which upsets me a tad.

    Then along with my new Puccini Budden book I delved into my favourite of the big three operas

    Name:  51MpOgXjzqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  21.9 KB

    Shortly after finishing this I also had a listen to the first two acts of La Rondine

    Name:  81qJnSru9lL._SL1417_.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  87.1 KB

    While walking through Edinburgh on the Royal mile during the fringe I listened to Ruggero's aria "Parigi! E la citta dei desideri" at sunset with the amusing result I now think of a different city when I hear the aria though it is a fond memory now.

    Am also still gorging myself on Falstaff as I have taken to it way more than I expected given my slow coming around to other later Verdi Operas (Boccanegra Aida and Don Carlos) though I have come around to some of those to a very large degree after some time the process with Falstaff had been far more instantaneous and more like my immediate infatuation with Rigoletto and Un Ballo in Maschera. I am not sure why but perhaps it is the quick pace Verdi upholds in Falstaff which I find works really well. I am also seeing the debt that Gianni Schicchi by Puccini owes to it though the works are different enough in tone and humor style (Puccini's is of a far more morbid humor!) with a fair amount of self parody in both.

    - - - Updated - - -
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

  9. Likes Amfortas, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
  10. #7252
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    A lot of recent travel so a fair amount of Opera listened to. Listened to all of this for the firs time in absolutely ages
    Name:  51svs8YfFIL._PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,4,-40_OU11__.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  49.5 KB

    Really do like Onegin a lot but because it's in Russian I cant mouth along as often as I can with my Italian or German operas which upsets me a tad.
    I know the feeling but that version is fab.

    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    While walking through Edinburgh on the Royal mile during the fringe I listened to Ruggero's aria "Parigi! E la citta dei desideri" at sunset with the amusing result I now think of a different city when I hear the aria though it is a fond memory now.
    That's really interesting. I walked the same route to work for 20+ years and when I started listening to opera I knew where I'd be when a certain aria etc started. And when the gunshot in my La forza del destino happened!

    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Am also still gorging myself on Falstaff as I have taken to it way more than I expected given my slow coming around to other later Verdi Operas (Boccanegra Aida and Don Carlos) though I have come around to some of those to a very large degree after some time the process with Falstaff had been far more instantaneous and more like my immediate infatuation with Rigoletto and Un Ballo in Maschera. I am not sure why but perhaps it is the quick pace Verdi upholds in Falstaff which I find works really well. I am also seeing the debt that Gianni Schicchi by Puccini owes to it though the works are different enough in tone and humor style (Puccini's is of a far more morbid humor!) with a fair amount of self parody in both.
    It takes ages before some operas click.

  11. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
  12. #7253
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like


    Stravinsky-Rake's Progress
    My first listen! I'm trying to listen to my new aquisitions when I get them instead of building an unlistened to pile

  13. #7254
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
  15. #7255
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,693
    Post Thanks / Like


    Conductor/orchestra: Armin Jordan, Orchestre National de l’Opéra de Monte Carlo
    Cast: Rachel Yakar (Mélisande), Eric Tappy (Pelléas), Philippe Huttenlocher (Golaud), François Loop (Arkel), Jocelyne Taillon (Genevieve), Colette Alliot Lugaz (Yniold), Michel Brodard (Doctor/Shepherd)

    This is certainly an interesting change from the early Verdi/Rossini operas that I’ve been listening to over the past several months. I’ll be attending a semi-staged performance on 20 October, just 10 days before Halloween, and in a certain respect, this work fits in with the ghosts and goblins. There is, of course, the strange child-woman Mélisande with her unknown background. And the opera’s prevailing atmosphere is dark and often foreboding, from the gloomy forests to the dark seaside cave with its bottomless lakes and the castle vault with its stagnant, foul-smelling, likewise bottomless pool. One is reminded of the 19th century medical belief in “miasmas” as a source of all sorts of nasty illnesses such as cholera. The contrast between light and dark, clarity and shadow is also prominent in the characters’ dialogue.
    This is a fine recording, with no weak links anywhere in the cast. Having a lyric tenor Pelléas really helps to differentiate between the two half-brothers and emphasizes that this is the younger of the two. Philippe Huttenlocher is a powerful and very convincing Golaud, and Rachel Yakar’s pure soprano effectively coveys Mélisande’s uncanny nature. François Loup and Jocelyne Taillon are a sympathetic Arkel and Genevieve. The enclosed booklet has only a plot synopsis; no libretto. (At a cost of just over $11.00, this shouldn’t be surprising.) Fortunately, I found a libretto online and was able to obtain a passable English translation.

  16. #7256
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    277
    Post Thanks / Like


    Mozart- Don Giovanni, conducted by Guilini


    My first listen to this particular recording. Giovanni has my favorite Mozart opera overture. The last time I tried to listen to this opera, it was the Jacobs recording, which just didn't move me. But listening today reminds me that this opera had served time as my favorite opera a couple of years ago I'm enjoying it very much.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post


    Conductor/orchestra: Armin Jordan, Orchestre National de l’Opéra de Monte Carlo
    Cast: Rachel Yakar (Mélisande), Eric Tappy (Pelléas), Philippe Huttenlocher (Golaud), François Loop (Arkel), Jocelyne Taillon (Genevieve), Colette Alliot Lugaz (Yniold), Michel Brodard (Doctor/Shepherd)

    This is certainly an interesting change from the early Verdi/Rossini operas that I’ve been listening to over the past several months. I’ll be attending a semi-staged performance on 20 October, just 10 days before Halloween, and in a certain respect, this work fits in with the ghosts and goblins. There is, of course, the strange child-woman Mélisande with her unknown background. And the opera’s prevailing atmosphere is dark and often foreboding, from the gloomy forests to the dark seaside cave with its bottomless lakes and the castle vault with its stagnant, foul-smelling, likewise bottomless pool. One is reminded of the 19th century medical belief in “miasmas” as a source of all sorts of nasty illnesses such as cholera. The contrast between light and dark, clarity and shadow is also prominent in the characters’ dialogue.
    This is a fine recording, with no weak links anywhere in the cast. Having a lyric tenor Pelléas really helps to differentiate between the two half-brothers and emphasizes that this is the younger of the two. Philippe Huttenlocher is a powerful and very convincing Golaud, and Rachel Yakar’s pure soprano effectively coveys Mélisande’s uncanny nature. François Loup and Jocelyne Taillon are a sympathetic Arkel and Genevieve. The enclosed booklet has only a plot synopsis; no libretto. (At a cost of just over $11.00, this shouldn’t be surprising.) Fortunately, I found a libretto online and was able to obtain a passable English translation.
    I've never been able to get into Pelleas....but I've come a long way with Debussy in the last year or two and as I'm listening to more modern opera lately, maybe it's time to give it another go. Your discussion of the brooding atmosphere may help me frame my mind as I listen to it again!

  17. #7257
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post


    Conductor/orchestra: Armin Jordan, Orchestre National de l’Opéra de Monte Carlo
    Cast: Rachel Yakar (Mélisande), Eric Tappy (Pelléas), Philippe Huttenlocher (Golaud), François Loop (Arkel), Jocelyne Taillon (Genevieve), Colette Alliot Lugaz (Yniold), Michel Brodard (Doctor/Shepherd)

    This is certainly an interesting change from the early Verdi/Rossini operas that I’ve been listening to over the past several months. I’ll be attending a semi-staged performance on 20 October, just 10 days before Halloween, and in a certain respect, this work fits in with the ghosts and goblins. There is, of course, the strange child-woman Mélisande with her unknown background. And the opera’s prevailing atmosphere is dark and often foreboding, from the gloomy forests to the dark seaside cave with its bottomless lakes and the castle vault with its stagnant, foul-smelling, likewise bottomless pool. One is reminded of the 19th century medical belief in “miasmas” as a source of all sorts of nasty illnesses such as cholera. The contrast between light and dark, clarity and shadow is also prominent in the characters’ dialogue.
    This is a fine recording, with no weak links anywhere in the cast. Having a lyric tenor Pelléas really helps to differentiate between the two half-brothers and emphasizes that this is the younger of the two. Philippe Huttenlocher is a powerful and very convincing Golaud, and Rachel Yakar’s pure soprano effectively coveys Mélisande’s uncanny nature. François Loup and Jocelyne Taillon are a sympathetic Arkel and Genevieve. The enclosed booklet has only a plot synopsis; no libretto. (At a cost of just over $11.00, this shouldn’t be surprising.) Fortunately, I found a libretto online and was able to obtain a passable English translation.
    That recording sounds good and I may try and get a copy. I'm seeing it on 18 October so we can compare notes.

  18. Likes MAuer liked this post
  19. #7258
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got this after someone else posted listening to it. I checked it out and was interested because
    1) it is Handel/Baroque
    2) there are only women singing
    3) the majority of those women are not sopranos


    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  20. #7259
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    I got this after someone else posted listening to it. I checked it out and was interested because
    1) it is Handel/Baroque
    2) there are only women singing
    3) the majority of those women are not sopranos


    This is the main reason why I struggle with Handel and don't give him the attention he deserves. Now if someone could recommend a Handel with only male singers and with most of the voices bass and baritone ...

  21. Likes MAuer liked this post
  22. #7260
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    1,984
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    This is the main reason why I struggle with Handel and don't give him the attention he deserves. Now if someone could recommend a Handel with only male singers and with most of the voices bass and baritone ...
    Well, there is always barbershop quartets.

    But seriously, I never thought about it because I normally don't seek out the male voice in opera. They do include a countertenor on some sets of Amidigi, but that does not fit your criteria.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

  23. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
Page 484 of 498 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What vocal music have you been listening to, lately?
    By Hoffmann in forum Other Classical Vocal Music
    Replies: 698
    Last Post: Today, 01:47 AM
  2. Current Symphonic Listening
    By Samurai in forum Non-Operatic, Non-Vocal Classical Music
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: February 29th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS