Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: New interviews in Home page

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our second Silent Night interview for Piedmont Opera is with tenor Kirg Dougherty. This interview is way more interesting and important than one done simply for the local environment of this opera company in North Carolina. Kirk is very erudite and his take on contemporary opera is something that all opera lovers will enjoy. Not to be missed! The link is the same above; just scroll down for Kirk's interview.

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...-Night-artists
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cyrano, a contemporary opera by Italian-American composer David DiChiera (with a French libretto by Bernard Uzan) is being given this weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina. We interviewed the three principal singers (mini-interviews) and the composer (a longer one). It's always interesting to speak with a composer, so don't miss this one (all four interviews are in the same article, which also contains a video clip of a beautiful and melodious piece by Dr. DiChiera):

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...Opera-Carolina
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    A new exclusive Opera Lively interview has been published, with British conductor and composer David Robert Coleman - it's a must read for lovers of contemporary music and opera, but can be enjoyed as well by any other opera lover.

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...r-and-composer

Post Thanks / Like
    And now we released the long overdue interview with a very important figure in the world of opera: Jürgen Flimm, the prestigious stage director who also directed, among others, the Salzburg Festival and the Berlin Staatsoper.

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...J%FCrgen-Flimm

Post Thanks / Like
    New and VERY interesting interview with German baritone Otto Katzameier, who is a great contemporary opera singer:

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...tto-Katzameier

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    New and VERY interesting interview with German baritone Otto Katzameier, who is a great contemporary opera singer:

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...tto-Katzameier

Thanks, Luiz!

Reading the interview with Otto brought back memories of that fun afternoon and what an interesting, smart and very charming man he is.

For the record, we did change our plans and see Luci mie traditrici - and both of us enjoyed it. It was a quite intense and surprising opera as the musical vocabulary Sciarrino uses is so unique. We have tickets next summer for the Staatsoper's production of Ti Vedo Ti Sento Mi Perdo, and am looking forward to seeing Otto Katzameier sing again. Although they are modern operas - rather than contemporary operas - we also will be seeing Shreker's Die Gezeichneten and Shostakovich's The Nose next summer.

As an update, I am not yet a lover of contemporary opera. I am, however, more open to and gradually building an appreciation for its interesting musical vocabulary and dramatic intensity. I continue to believe that one has to see modern and contemporary opera to appreciate it - that it is less accessible as an audio experience than traditional opera.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 2nd, 2017 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Thanks, Luiz!

Reading the interview with Otto brought back memories of that fun afternoon and what an interesting, smart and very charming man he is.

For the record, we did change our plans and see Luci mie traditrici - and both of us enjoyed it. It was a quite intense and surprising opera as the musical vocabulary Sciarrino uses is so unique. We have tickets next summer for the Staatsoper's production of
    Ti Vedo Ti Sento Mi Perdo, and am looking forward to seeing Otto Katzameier sing again. Although they are modern operas - rather than contemporary operas - we also will be seeing Shreker's Die Gezeichneten and Shostakovich's The Nose next summer.

As an update, I am not yet a lover of contemporary opera. I am, however, more open to and gradually building an appreciation for its interesting musical vocabulary and dramatic intensity. I continue to believe that one has to see modern and contemporary opera to appreciate it - that it is less accessible as an audio experience than traditional opera.
    Hi, Jim, yes, nice memories... I'd consider going back to Berlin to see the new Sciarrino as well; we'll see. I think you should post the above as a comment on the interview page, because it provides a nice supplement to say that Otto was actually successful in convincing you to come and see the opera, and it is nice that you and your companion liked it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Jim, yes, nice memories... I'd consider going back to Berlin to see the new Sciarrino as well; we'll see. I think you should post the above as a comment on the interview page, because it provides a nice supplement to say that Otto was actually successful in convincing you to come and see the opera, and it is nice that you and your companion liked it.
    Ok, Done!

It would be great if you could come to Berlin and join us for the Sciarrino! Elisabeth would love to see you again, and asked about you last summer. Her new place is much closer to the hotel you stayed in last year - about 1 1/2 blocks - if you were to stay there again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Done!

It would be great if you could come to Berlin and join us for the Sciarrino! Elisabeth would love to see you again, and asked about you last summer. Her new place is much closer to the hotel you stayed in last year - about 1 1/2 blocks - if you were to stay there again.
    Fantastic, I'll certainly think about it.

Jesus, I was so tired yesterday after spending several intensive hours transcribing this long and complex interview! For expediency, I remember that during the transcription there were typos and other mistakes and I just went ahead, not to waste time stopping the recording, and thinking "I'll correct them at the end." Then I forgot! The interview went live with a huge number of mistakes. I realized it this morning and took care of them, but I hope not many guests read this piece in its uncorrected state; if they did, they will have acquired a poor opinion of our standards...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, Done!

For what day are your tickets for the new Sciarrino?

Post Thanks / Like
    For what day are your tickets for the new Sciarrino?
    9 July for the Sciarrino - but 11 July is Die Gezeichneten at the Komische Oper and 12 July is L'Incoronazione di Poppea at the Staatsoper with Max Emanuel Cencic and Xavier Sabata. So...

Post Thanks / Like
    This interview was done two and a half years ago but never published because the agent never got back to us with his input. Belatedly, I decided to publish it anyway, with an explanation of the reason for the delay. Tenor Stephen Costello.

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...ephen-Costello

Post Thanks / Like
    For the longest time I neglected my interviewing duties. One of the reasons is the jaded feeling of "been there done that" I've been experiencing already for a long time after 235 interviews (233 + the two still awaiting transcription; Opera Lively has 235 published interviews, counting my 233 and 2 by other staff members). Another reason is the fatigue; it's really, really hard work. The third and most important reason is that I hesitated in engaging in new work with several past work pieces pending conclusion, because it would add to the backlog.

So for the last year and a half (almost) I still had Berlin Staatsoper interviews pending, and had to finish up the Aix-en-Provence ones. So other than the work done for the partner companies (which included at least two with prestigious artists; Marcello Giordani and composer/opera administrator David DiChiera, which got published in the Local North Carolina area given that they were for Opera Carolina), I stopped soliciting interviews. I visited the Met a few times during this stretch, and missed several opportunities to talk with some amazing artists, for this very reason.

Now the Berlin ones have been published, and there are only two still pending from Aix, with Sandrine Piau, and Bernard Foccroulle. I neglected Sandrine's because it was conducted in French so it's more work (transcribing, then translating), and Bernard Foccroulle's is a complex, non-exclusive one (it was a small press conference in his office with Opera Lively represented by me, but also three other press organizations).

But now, optimistic that my push to complete (which resulted in four old interviews seeing the light of day, lately), I finally solicited a new one.

It feels good to be somewhat of a buddy with Roberto Alagna... we have each other's cell phone numbers and have exchanged text messages. So since I'll be watching his wife's performance at the Met on January 25th, I text-messaged Roberto yesterday and asked him to transmit to her my request for an interview. She immediately said yes, and it's been scheduled for January 23rd; so I'll be interviewing the lovely Aleksandra Kurzak.

I kind of want to finish the Piau and Foccroulle ones before I solicit more... but it feels good to have finally moved ahead from this long hiatus and have solicited a new one, with a positive answer. If I conclude the two pending ones relatively soon, I'll consider more interviews at the Met in January.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very, very important interview with Bernard Foccroulle, the Artistic Director of the Festival d'Aix-en-Provence and former director of La Monnaie in Brussels. It's a mini-press conference with Opera Lively and three other journalistic organizations but the majority of his words came in response to Opera Lively's questions so I'm kind of still calling it an interview (although not exclusive). A must-read; he is a very intelligent and articulate man with interesting views on how to keep opera alive. I think it's one of the best pieces we've ever published.

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...ely-and-others

Post Thanks / Like
    Another interview from the belated Aix-en-Provence set got finally published and it is gorgeous. Sandrine Piau adds incredible insight into the psychological aspects of Così fan tutte and her character Despina. You'll never think of Despina the same way after reading this intelligent singer. A must read!

http://operalively.com/forums/conten...-Sandrine-Piau
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 11th, 2017 at 05:45 PM.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast