Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this somewhere and while it is probably an obvious fact to most on this site, I found it interesting and so am posting it:

The word ‘opera’ is Latin and means ‘the works’; it represents a synthesis of all the other arts: drama, vocal and orchestral music, dance, light and design.
    What drew me to opera in the first place way back in the 1980s was the idea that it would be far more interesting to have the story, acting, and singing along with the music than simply attending a symphony. But then I had a 35-year hiatus from opera. So in that way, opera is relatively new to me beginning about two years ago, when I picked up my first opera DVD of Fidelio.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    What drew me to opera in the first place way back in the 1980s was the idea that it would be far more interesting to have the story, acting, and singing along with the music than simply attending a symphony. But then I had a 35-year hiatus from opera. So in that way, opera is relatively new to me beginning about two years ago, when I picked up my first opera DVD of Fidelio.
    It must be exciting, being still relatively new to opera. One thing you may someday find enjoyable, as you learn more about the art form, is collecting multiple versions of the same opera, to compare different interpretations.

Oh wait . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    One thing you may someday find enjoyable, as you learn more about the art form, is collecting multiple versions of the same opera, to compare different interpretations.

Oh wait . . .
    In the same hour you wrote that, I ordered my 8th Der fliegende Hollander set!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't feel bad, I seem to recall our friend Festat saying somewhere that he has 27 or so Cosi fan tuttes. I'm still getting started - I only have 9 Normas.
    Last edited by Hoffmann; December 19th, 2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: damn auto-correct!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am on Cos no. 30 right now.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Don't feel bad, I seem to recall our friend Festal saying somewhere that he has 27 or so Cosi fan tuttes. I'm still getting started - I only have 9 Normas.
    A certain former member here had about a hundred Normas. So you won't run out any time soon.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have two Gianni Schicchis? As a student I can't really afford to double up on recordings Hence I try to get the best recording I can of any opera I like from the start so I can stay contented.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    I have two Gianni Schicchis? As a student I can't really afford to double up on recordings Hence I try to get the best recording I can of any opera I like from the start so I can stay contented.
    That is a great idea but sometimes difficult because everyone has a different best recording, so advice of others only goes so far in selecting the best.

Besides that, there is the factor that if you listen to the same opera enough, the variety of performances becomes a plus to keep it more interesting. I think I would have burned out on Fidelio if I only had one. However, all that depends on how much you listen. And there are enough different operas out there that one does not have to listen to the same one over again that often--unless they are obsessed with it like me and the Hollander.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    That is a great idea but sometimes difficult because everyone has a different best recording, so advice of others only goes so far in selecting the best.

Besides that, there is the factor that if you listen to the same opera enough, the variety of performances becomes a plus to keep it more interesting. I think I would have burned out on Fidelio if I only had one. However, all that depends on how much you listen. And there are enough different operas out there that one does not have to listen to the same one over again that often--unless they are obsessed with it like me and the Hollander.
    Hence why I try to spice things up. I don't double up on many recordings but I do have quite a few single opera performances. The variety means that the single versions I have never bore me. I tend to dip in and out with my favourite arias or entire versions of my favourite opera at a whim. On some days I can listen to my favourite highlights from all 4 of the Verdi operas I have on my iPod while other days I will listen to all of one of my Puccini operas (Act 2 of La bohme is just about perfect as its the exact length of the bus ride to campus!). Christmas is also going to increase my collection substantially!
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was once at a production of Faust at the met and during intermission I went to restroom and was waiting in line. I guess one of the people using the stalls was sick and he was throwing up but it was very loud so we could all hear it in the line. The guy behind me said "Well..boy...It's not THAT bad..."

haha!

I will never forget that

Orestis Sinis
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; December 21st, 2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: removed url from post

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis23 View Post
    I was once at a production of Faust at the met and during intermission I went to restroom and was waiting in line. I guess one of the people using the stalls was sick and he was throwing up but it was very loud so we could all hear it in the line. The guy behind me said "Well..boy...It's not THAT bad..."

haha!

I will never forget that

Orestis Sinis

Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; December 21st, 2015 at 10:07 PM. Reason: removed url from quoted post

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am NOT going to tell how many videos of L'Elisir D'Amore are on the shelves; that would, I fear, constitute evidence of the wrong kind if She Who Must Be Obeyed stalks these hallowed halls ...

However, I have found that choosing the evening's music becomes more difficult as (1) one ages, and (2) as one's opera collection expands. I think it akin to the legendary mule which finds itself equidistant between two identical sources of food ...

14. Likes MAuer, Clayton, Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Orestis23 View Post

haha!

I will never forget that

Orestis Sinis

Very funny. Welcome to Opera Lively, Orestis23.
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; December 21st, 2015 at 10:06 PM. Reason: removed url from quoted post
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Very funny. Welcome to Opera Lively, Orestis23.
    Thank you!

Orestis Sinis
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; December 21st, 2015 at 10:04 PM.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Decca has issued a double CD set "Ten Top Tenors"

Bocelli? Really?

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

18. Likes Florestan liked this post