Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    After the scandalous cost overruns and delays that have plagued the renovation/restoration work on the Berlin State Opera’s house on Unter den Linden (which was supposed to reopen in 2013, but now is projected to reopen later next year), it seems repairs and upgrades to the Cologne Opera’s home on Offenbachplatz are also taking much longer than expected. The house was supposed to reopen this past Fall; now this is supposed to occur in 2017 as well. In the meantime, performances have taken place in a variety of substitute venues, some more suitable than others. Latest is the 1920s Staatenhaus in the city’s Deutz neighborhood, which is apparently so lacking in the necessary theatrical infrastructure that Carlus Padrissa and his production troupe La Fura dels Baus had to overhaul their staging concept for Cologne’s new production of Benvenuto Cellini that opened the 2015-16 season.
    Blimey! I didn't realise the Berlin house still hadn't re-opened.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    After the scandalous cost overruns and delays that have plagued the renovation/restoration work on the Berlin State Opera’s house on Unter den Linden (which was supposed to reopen in 2013, but now is projected to reopen later next year), it seems repairs and upgrades to the Cologne Opera’s home on Offenbachplatz are also taking much longer than expected. The house was supposed to reopen this past Fall; now this is supposed to occur in 2017 as well. In the meantime, performances have taken place in a variety of substitute venues, some more suitable than others. Latest is the 1920s Staatenhaus in the city’s Deutz neighborhood, which is apparently so lacking in the necessary theatrical infrastructure that Carlus Padrissa and his production troupe La Fura dels Baus had to overhaul their staging concept for Cologne’s new production of Benvenuto Cellini that opened the 2015-16 season.
    Not to mention the new Brandenburg Airport which originally was set to open in 2011 and now is not expected to open until late in 2017.

Speaking only for myself, I've become quite accustomed to the interim Staatsoper venue of the Schiller Theater in Charlottenburg which has been described by a friend as "ridiculously intimate" - as it seats about 900.

Name:  schillertheater.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  73.0 KB

Unlike most visitors to Berlin, who tend to stay in the Mitte area, I stay in (dowdy old) Charlottenburg (the former West Berlin), so going to the opera at the Schiller is very easy - not to mention that the Deutsche Oper is located just down the street.

The historic Staatsoper building (built in 1741-43, destroyed in the war and rebuilt using the original plans) is on Unter den Linden on the other side of the city - much more accessible using public transportation, but will require more time and planning.

Name:  BerlinStaatsoper.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  64.0 KB

Interesting that the renovations should be so complex for a building that only dates to 1955!

3. Likes Clayton, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And another source puts the reopening date for the Cologne Opera House back to 2018, while costs have nearly doubled over the original estimate.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a nice backstage shot from Bayerische Staatsoper.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    This is a nice backstage shot from Bayerische Staatsoper.

Thanks! I love these pics from backstage! They're scary and remind me of Nostromo (Alien).

Name:  alien-nostromo-spaceship4.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  19.9 KB
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

7. Likes Amfortas, MAuer, Clayton, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quiz.

I got 73% which surprised me. I know more than I think I do!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Quiz.

I got 73% which surprised me. I know more than I think I do!

I did ok - 87%, but have to say that I didn't like some of the trick questions! Also, I got some questions right because I was able to figure out the answer - not because I knew the opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I did ok - 87%, but have to say that I didn't like some of the trick questions! Also, I got some questions right because I was able to figure out the answer - not because I knew the opera.
    That's really good! I confess to some lucky guesses.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

12. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Me too.
    Natalie

14. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

70%

16. Likes Povero Buoso, Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    73%. I was on a roll until the questions on modern compositions, about which I remain in blissful ignorance. I even did alright on Wagner, mainly because of my interest in history.

18. Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got 77% and I did a LOT of guessing. That is the weakness of multiple choice exams. At least I got the Tosca question correct since I just finished it last night and took note of her final words.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn 70%. A fair bit of guessing but I'm not much of a baroque, bel canto or Wagner fan (yet). I got a lot of wrong ones where it was a heads up between two options and I failed to go with my gut... Unless its an Edgar question I don't think I would get a Puccini opera question wrong though.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    73%. I was on a roll until the questions on modern compositions, about which I remain in blissful ignorance. I even did alright on Wagner, mainly because of my interest in history.

I didn't know the modern ones, either. Those are the ones I had to figure out or suffer with a wild-assed guess.

22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Polish mezzo Agnes Zwierko has updated her schedule.

I'm intrigued by Mussorgsky's The Fair at Sorochyntsi.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery