Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    And I apologize, I'm about to brag... I just got back from Santa Fe, and I adored "La fanciulla". As a movie guy, I was really impressed with how well the libretto integrates Western tropes that would go on to be important in cinema. It's a bit like Tosca with a happy ending isn't it? That hopeful ending got me choked up, I'm not gonna lie.
    Yaaaaaaassssss.
    Natalie

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are some interesting bits of gossip about Christian Thielemann embedded within the review of this year’s Bayreuth Festival Tristan und Isolde that appears in the September issue of Das Opernglas. Specifically:
    - While it was confirmed in earlier media reports that Thielemann had been sitting in on rehearsals for Bayreuth’s Parsifal and generally interfering with things, which eventually led to Andris Nelsons’ decision to withdraw from the production, the review provides further details. According to rumor, Thielemann decided to illustrate how he though a part of the score should be interpreted by taking the baton out of Nelsons’ hand and giving a demonstration. (If that’s true, it’s no wonder Nelsons withdrew. A professor may treat a student that way, but between colleagues, it’s completely unacceptable.) The reviewer also found that the conducting of his replacement, Hartmut Haenchen, was less than impressive and reflected the emptiness of Uwe-Eric Laufenberg’s production to the point that it nearly amounted to a “death blow.” Nelsons, on the other hand, is still remembered for his masterly reading of this opera with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. The upshot is that Thielemann’s meddling cost Bayreuth a top-notch conductor and resulted in a weak Festival opening performance for the second year in a row.
    - At the conclusion of the Tristan und Isolde premiere, Thielemann took three solo curtain calls within the space of a minute. Apparently, he wanted to shield Festspiele director Katharina Wagner (who staged the production) from some booing with his “winner’s aura.” The gesture evidently came across as pretty self-satisfied to a number of those in the audience, so that the Maestro found himself on the receiving end of a “salvo” of boos at his third solo bow.
    - Recently, Thielemann seems to have developed a penchant for a rather self-enamored, leisurely pacing of performances that doesn’t always make things easy for the soloists. His conducting of this past spring’s Lohengrin at the Dresden State Opera is supposed to have thoroughly dampened Anna Netrebko’s enthusiasm for singing Wagner, so that La Bellissima has decided she would prefer to sing Strauss with Barenboim instead. One wonders what will happen with regard to the prospects of her performing Elsa at the Festspiele. (It’s never been confirmed that she’ll sing the role in the new Lohengrin slated for 2018, when Roberto Alagna will be making his role – and Bayreuth – debuts as the Swan Knight.)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    There are some interesting bits of gossip about Christian Thielemann embedded within the review of this year’s Bayreuth Festival Tristan und Isolde that appears in the September issue of Das Opernglas. Specifically:
    - While it was confirmed in earlier media reports that Thielemann had been sitting in on rehearsals for Bayreuth’s Parsifal and generally interfering with things, which eventually led to Andris Nelsons’ decision to withdraw from the production, the review provides further details. According to rumor, Thielemann decided to illustrate how he though a part of the score should be interpreted by taking the baton out of Nelsons’ hand and giving a demonstration. (If that’s true, it’s no wonder Nelsons withdrew. A professor may treat a student that way, but between colleagues, it’s completely unacceptable.) The reviewer also found that the conducting of his replacement, Hartmut Haenchen, was less than impressive and reflected the emptiness of Uwe-Eric Laufenberg’s production to the point that it nearly amounted to a “death blow.” Nelsons, on the other hand, is still remembered for his masterly reading of this opera with the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra. The upshot is that Thielemann’s meddling cost Bayreuth a top-notch conductor and resulted in a weak Festival opening performance for the second year in a row.
    - At the conclusion of the Tristan und Isolde premiere, Thielemann took three solo curtain calls within the space of a minute. Apparently, he wanted to shield Festspiele director Katharina Wagner (who staged the production) from some booing with his “winner’s aura.” The gesture evidently came across as pretty self-satisfied to a number of those in the audience, so that the Maestro found himself on the receiving end of a “salvo” of boos at his third solo bow.
    - Recently, Thielemann seems to have developed a penchant for a rather self-enamored, leisurely pacing of performances that doesn’t always make things easy for the soloists. His conducting of this past spring’s Lohengrin at the Dresden State Opera is supposed to have thoroughly dampened Anna Netrebko’s enthusiasm for singing Wagner, so that La Bellissima has decided she would prefer to sing Strauss with Barenboim instead. One wonders what will happen with regard to the prospects of her performing Elsa at the Festspiele. (It’s never been confirmed that she’ll sing the role in the new Lohengrin slated for 2018, when Roberto Alagna will be making his role – and Bayreuth – debuts as the Swan Knight.)
    After reading his book I had decided 2 things about Thielemann:
    • He thinks he is God's gift to Wagner
    • He is not really a people person
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.qzzr.com/c/quiz/263763/t...est-opera-quiz

Somehow I don't think I'll do very well ...
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly guessing I got:

7/15 · Scored 46%
    Result: 7-9 Finding your forte
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

6. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm finding my forte, too -- 9/15; 60%. Some I definitely knew, some I had to guess at, and a few I had no idea.

8. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    11/15 some of them were guesses but most of them were 50 50 guesses rather than just random one out of four guesses. (as in i managed to rule out two options and coin flip with the last choice.
    "Non sono in vena" Rodolfo summing up P.B's feelings on his dissertation.

10. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A bit of a rave up in Dubai next year, but 'Britain’s leading tenor - Alfie Boe' ??

http://www.al-press.com/index.php/en...omenal-line-up
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

12. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I'm finding my forte, too -- 9/15; 60%. Some I definitely knew, some I had to guess at, and a few I had no idea.
    Yes, me too. Where's Festat? Is there a meme for embarassed?

14. Likes MAuer, Festat, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got 9 too, but I wish it would show me the right answer for those I missed.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    8/15, ditto on the answers...

17. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    An inspirational and possibly life changing project for Maestro Muti

http://blogs.wfmt.com/offmic/2016/09...onal-facility/

http://chicagoontheaisle.com/2016/09...in-full-glory/
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

19. Likes Florestan, MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds a very interesting project and I salute the musicians working to help these troubled young people.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    "It's about sex, sex,sex" is how Christopher Purves describes Don Giovanni (as reported in the Guardian newspaper)...

how succinct

23. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post
    Likes Hoffmann, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post