Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about Alma -- there went his half-performance of Guillaume Tell. The only possible excuse I can offer for the individual responsible is that those who are grieving aren't always thinking clearly.

2. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about Alma also. What a shame.

The individual undoubtedly knew he could never get permission for scattering his friend's ashes and was determined to honor this last request. 25 years ago it might have been seen as eccentric, unfortunately in this day and age when white powders can be all sorts of unfortunate substances, it is criminal conduct.

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    OH NO THE MINUTE I SAW THIS I THOUGHT ABOUT YOU HOPING IT WASN'T YOUR NIGHT

The ~unknown substance~ ended up being... ASHES.
    Rotten deal. How could someone be so ignorant as to try throwing human ashes in an orchestra pit?
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, like I said in my review, the Gods of Opera didn't want me to see this Guillaume Tell complete, since with a lot of effort I was able to move the meeting I had at 11:30 to 9:30 and did make it to the Met at 12 noon so I saw the complete acts I, II, and III, but then, this happened.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

7. Likes Povero Buoso liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Ever since I bought my ticket to The Thieving Magpie at Glimmerglass in August, I have been on Francesca Zambello's Glimmerglass email list.

Reading her most recent issue, which includes comments about her new production of Aida for San Francisco and then goes on to talk excitedly about a new production of Donizetti's The Siege of Calais for Glimmerglass next season, I noticed that there wasn't a word about her plans for Washington National Opera. With the exception of the Ring this past May, WNO's seasons have been uninspired the past couple of years. Since it is clear that Glimmerglass is Francesca's passion, closely followed by her various directing assignments, it isn't surprising why WNO seems so lame:

http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u...5&e=5262755595

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh oh.

I'm reading the "Los Angeles Times" review of Akhnaten, which includes this little nugget: "There are no surtitles... The audience isn't expected to know what's what (although advance preparation on the L.A. Opera and English National Opera websites is a good idea)."

I'm seeing (barring another fall or some such...) Akhnaten on Thursday night. Guess I better hit the websites pronto.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...030-story.html

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Uh oh.

I'm reading the "Los Angeles Times" review of Akhnaten, which includes this little nugget: "There are no surtitles... The audience isn't expected to know what's what (although advance preparation on the L.A. Opera and English National Opera websites is a good idea)."

I'm seeing (barring another fall or some such...) Akhnaten on Thursday night. Guess I better hit the websites pronto.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...030-story.html
    SO SO envious. It looks amazing. Some of it will be in English (the rest in Ancient Egyptian hehe)
    Natalie

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Der Jonas was supposed to return to action today with a concert appearance in GŁtersloh. However, he’s contracted a nasty cold, so this appearance is now the latest one to be scrapped. (However, it’s supposed to be rescheduled at a later date.) Later this month, he’s supposed to head over to Japan for some concert appearances there. Part of me hopes he’ll be fine and is able to perform; the other part of me worries about the impact on his health such long transoceanic travel will have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Der Jonas was supposed to return to action today with a concert appearance in GŁtersloh. However, he’s contracted a nasty cold, so this appearance is now the latest one to be scrapped. (However, it’s supposed to be rescheduled at a later date.) Later this month, he’s supposed to head over to Japan for some concert appearances there. Part of me hopes he’ll be fine and is able to perform; the other part of me worries about the impact on his health such long transoceanic travel will have.
    I've given up. I don't think he really exists...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to a lovely intimate concert last night with Simon O'Neill and the NZ trio - Mahler, Strauss, Bach and a new commission based on poems by Emily Dickinson (what was that woman on when she wrote?). It made me realise how much I miss Mahler with my self-imposed only opera listening. Must make an exception for him - at least the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 8th Symphonies, which used to be among my favourite music.
    Natalie

17. Likes Amfortas, Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Latest installment in the Jonas Kaufmann cancelation saga: the concert at Madrid's Teatro Real scheduled for next Tuesday has been scrapped, evidently because he hasn't recovered from the (latest) cold he's contracted. This event was supposed to replace a concert at the Teatro Real that illness had forced him to cancel earlier this year. I suspect 2016 will be a year the poor guy will wish he could just forget.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Latest installment in the Jonas Kaufmann cancelation saga: the concert at Madrid's Teatro Real scheduled for next Tuesday has been scrapped, evidently because he hasn't recovered from the (latest) cold he's contracted. This event was supposed to replace a concert at the Teatro Real that illness had forced him to cancel earlier this year. I suspect 2016 will be a year the poor guy will wish he could just forget.

What a shame.

I've read that top athletes are prone to infection and an opera singer is an athlete. Also their lifestyle of constant flying/travelling won't help.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think maybe it's a difficult balance pushing the body to the limits (or maximising output) and allowing recovery time. All the fans (and there are many) want to hear JK and the entertainer wants to satisfy the demand...

Post Thanks / Like
    The issue of declining audiences for opera performances has been a continuing worry for me, as you no doubt have noticed. Especially alarming is the rapid decline of audience at WNO performances at the Kennedy Center here in the DC area. Last week I attended WNO's Daughter of the Regiment (Donizetti), which is a new production headlined by Lawrence Brownlee and Lisette Oropesa. My subscription seat is in the first tier/balcony, which for Wednesday's performance was barely half full. The orchestra, which typically is close to sold out (and which I can see from my seat), looked to have about 20% empty seats. During the Domingo years (his directorship preceded Francesca Zambello), the entire house typically was 90% full or close to being sold out.

Either local opera fans really, really hate Daughter of the Regiment or people are voting with their feet regarding Francesca Zambello's not so inspired programming. The productions now seem to have a cheap quality to them - flimsy looking rayon costumes in Marriage of Figaro, which is not surprising since they originated at the much smaller Glimmerglass Festival, and Regiment's first act was a nearly bare stage with some fake rocks in front of a broadly painted backdrop of the Tyrol - framed by a wooden frontispiece with an oval cut-out which transformed into a fancy entry hall in the Berkenfield mansion in Act II.

Alternatively, Zambello is doing the best she can and is hampered in her choices by the Kennedy Center management. WNO had been independent, but after the economic collapse and loss of Domingo, was subsumed by the Kennedy Center - which makes lots more money from staging Broadway musical road shows. Maybe both. Don't know, but don't like what I'm seeing.

There was an article in last week's "Wall Street Journal" which, unfortunately, I won't bother posting since it requires a WSJ subscription to view. The article discussed a new effort by the Boston Lyric Opera during a recent performance of its production of Mark-Anthony Turnage's Greek to provide a section of seating devoted to audience that likes to use their cell phones to "tweet" during the performance. Apparently, this does appeal to Millennials who like to share their feelings and observations of what is going on around them. I don't think the idea is routine at this point - just a trial - and I guess I wouldn't have a problem with it in theory, as long as the glow from the cell phones didn't affect me. Go figure.

22. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post