Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Cool video. I'd forgotten all about that aria!

That Berlioz was way ahead of his time . . .
    He he. Well I'm looking forward to hearing Brindley Sherratt sing De quels revers menaces-tu Carthage, one of the most beautiful bass arias I know.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elektra View Post
    What a commercial for Les Troyens
    And there I was thinking it's a Rolex ad.
    Natalie

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The question is - which one is Donizetti:

Those XIXth century portraits are always so faithful and similiar one to another. If Lablache is down right then I must admit he looks very much like here:

treemaker
    Hi. I hope I have permission to post this (Alma? Would Seattle Opera mind?).

This just came to me it is a video of Seattle Opera director Speight Jenkins interviewing Patricia Racette, who will sing Butterfly starting next month. Access here:

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    treemaker, posting a link to a video that Seattle Opera has made public on YouTube is perfectly legal and is considered to be fair use. Actually it helps Seattle Opera's purpose so I don't see how they could possibly be upset.

About copyrights, it is important to post at most brief excerpts or descriptions and *links* to material from other sites. We don't copy and paste other people's materials unless we have express authorization. But if we're talking about an interview published by another site from which we haven't received this authorization, what is appropriate is to say something to the effect of "have you guys read the interview with... [artist name] in which he/she addressed ...[topic x]? It's been published by ... [name of site], here is a link." But it's not OK to go and reproduce here the whole interview.

YouTube videos are generally covered under fair use rules so it's generally OK to quote them here and even embed them.
    Some of them can not be embedded and need to be watched on YouTube - but they take care themselves of including such codes.

The important thing is, if anybody ever gets upset and sends us a take down notice asking any kind of material to be removed, we have to react immediately and remove it.

So, in summary, no extensive copying and pasting unless authorized, links are OK, YouTube videos are generally OK, with exceptions. I hope this helps.

Oh, and no posting of copyrighted material such as a downloadable files for a complete opera that has been released commercially, or even mention of sites that sell pirated (bootleg) copies. The sheer mention of them is publicity for them and we don't do this on Opera Lively.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); July 21st, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Les Troyens trivia

I expect Star Trek fans will know this but Captain Jean-Luc Picard is an opera fan.

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

treemaker
    This is what I'm doing this month: My local library, the King County Library System (KCLS) is actually a nationally recognized system, winning an award for "Busiest and Best". They do very good opera talks to help get people ready for the latest Seattle Opera production. I have told the moderator about Opera Lively in the hopes we can get some advertisement.

For more information, here is a link to their website.

8. Thanks Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) thanked for this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    And there I was thinking it's a Rolex ad.
    Yes, that wristwatch is rather visible, isn't it?

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just had weird feeling, I suddenly thought out of the blue about the fact that I love opera so much and it felt very awkward, I mean how is it possible that I love it, HOW DID IT CAME TO THIS?

Mysterious ways of life,
    all of us have thus led,
    and all resist and mighty strife,
    and all those tears that we've shed,
    shan't loose that tremendous bond...
    we shall all drown... in operatic...... pond.............................

11. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check your home for blue flies. Get a good insecticide. These opera bugs bite unexpectedly, and then it's the first step to financial ruin.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

13. Likes CountessAdele, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A look 'behind the scenes' of Falstaff and Les Troyens, two new productions at Royal Opera House.

clicky
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

15. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Likes CountessAdele liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Love it. She lost weight and looks gorgeous. I had noticed the weight loss when I attended Manon last week.

treemaker
    Yes, I agree. Nice picture of Anna Netrebko.

I have a small rant I need to get off my chest. I took it upon myself to try to understand the Andrea Bocelli phenomenon. I've been listening to his "Werther". I adore "Werther" and have watched it enough I am familiar with all the music. And, even though this is a public forum, I think I still feel comfortable saying that Bocelli is a horrible singer. I wouldn't even want to hear him sing pop music. I have no idea how he shot to fame. I wish I had enough musical knowledge to understand *why* I don't like Bocelli's voice, but I don't.

Enough said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that proves that you have a fine pair of ears. Andrea Bocelli *is* a horrible singer.
    First of all, he most definitely is *not* an opera singer and would be a total disaster on the operatic stage without amplification. I have aggressive impulses to kill anybody who tells me he is an opera singer.
    The worst is when a well-intentioned but clueless friend learns that I love opera, comes to my birthday party, and proudly says - since you love opera I figure that this is the perfect gift for you - and hands me a CD or DVD of Andrea Bocelli, which of course finds its way to the garbage can when we do the clean up after the party.
    Why did he shot to fame? Well, certainly, not because of opera lovers. He is just part of the same phenomenon of mass culture that propels to fame people like Britney Spears and Justin Bieber. Probably the fact that he is blind helped him, for the pity factor - 'Look, the poor guy [hehehe, actually he is filthy rich] is blind and can sing [hehehe, actually, he can't].'
    I mean, he is popular. So is McDonald's. I don't eat at McDonald's. Enough said.

20. Likes operababe liked this post