Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I have a lovely vision of Pinkerton flying through the paper walls propelled by a well-aimed kick to the derriere.

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone was just telling me the other day about how they're a huge Andreas Schager fan. At this rate, I may have to somehow find room in the budget for a second Paris trip! Especially if the Met gives Gurnemanz to someone who is not Gunther Groissbock. But I am going to go with Jonas Kaufman cancelling and being replaced at the last minute by ... Christopher Ventris?
    Berlin. Berlin probably is the best place to find Schager. Also, Berlin has three major opera houses to choose from - what's not to like?

I've also seen Schager sing Siegfried/Götterdämmerung, which wasn't as successful as his Parsifal. Of course, that was several years ago, and he may have gained confidence since then.

4. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Berlin. Berlin probably is the best place to find Schager. Also, Berlin has three major opera houses to choose from - what's not to like?

I've also seen Schager sing Siegfried/Götterdämmerung, which wasn't as successful as his Parsifal. Of course, that was several years ago, and he may have gained confidence since then.
    He sang Bacchus in the Ariadne auf Naxos I saw in Warsaw. Superb.

6. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    He sang Bacchus in the Ariadne auf Naxos I saw in Warsaw. Superb.

Lucky you! That's a tough role to do well. And, he's also young enough to look right for the role.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can identify with this guy and how opera makes him feel

9. Likes Dichteurehalle, MAuer, Hoffmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can identify with this guy and how opera makes him feel

Amen.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So many of these are true!
    Natalie

14. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful opera houses

http://mymodernmet.com/beautiful-opera-houses/

I wouldn't describe the Harbin opera house in China as 'beautiful' but it's certainly unusual.

More here http://mymodernmet.com/david-leventi-opera/

16. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful opera houses

http://mymodernmet.com/beautiful-opera-houses/

I wouldn't describe the Harbin opera house in China as 'beautiful' but it's certainly unusual.

More here http://mymodernmet.com/david-leventi-opera/

Out of all of those beautiful opera houses, I've only been to three (ROH, Met and Vienna).

I also would include Chicago's Lyric, an Art Deco gem (the auditorium is vast, so difficult to photo):

Name:  Lyric-Opera-2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  59.1 KB

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody got any experience with using a ticket resale website for obtaining tickets to a sold-out performance at the Met? I was scheduling a trip, and waited around too long to try and see if somebody wanted to go with me. (I'm gonna try to check "See Renee Fleming live" and "See Anna Netrebko live" off my bucket list.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    Anybody got any experience with using a ticket resale website for obtaining tickets to a sold-out performance at the Met? I was scheduling a trip, and waited around too long to try and see if somebody wanted to go with me. (I'm gonna try to check "See Renee Fleming live" and "See Anna Netrebko live" off my bucket list.
    I bought tickets for Carmen a couple years ago off Stubhub (for the back end of Family Circle for $200! To see Jonas Kaufmann, who cancelled!!) and everything was fine, though the Stubhub fees were pretty high, $25 or something ridiculous? I'd offer to sell you some of my tickets at cost (I live here, I can go to any dates), but afaik, the only sold out performance is the last Rosenkav, and I don't have a ticket for that date.

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    I bought tickets for Carmen a couple years ago off Stubhub (for the back end of Family Circle for $200! To see Jonas Kaufmann, who cancelled!!) and everything was fine, though the Stubhub fees were pretty high, $25 or something ridiculous? I'd offer to sell you some of my tickets at cost (I live here, I can go to any dates), but afaik, the only sold out performance is the last Rosenkav, and I don't have a ticket for that date.
    The last performance of Onegin on 4/22 also very recently sold out. I was very surprised that it did so quickly, as I had checked last week and there were plenty left in the rear sections, so I imagine resellers snapped the rest up.

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    The last performance of Onegin on 4/22 also very recently sold out. I was very surprised that it did so quickly, as I had checked last week and there were plenty left in the rear sections, so I imagine resellers snapped the rest up.
    Ah yep, that's the one Peter Mattei performance I didn't get tickets for; guess I'm not seeing him 4 times this run I kind of understand why people/resellers would want to buy up all the tickets for the last Rosenkav (Fleming's farewell to staged operas!), but I do not understand why people would value going to the last Onegin. All the people who want to see it but neglect to see it/buy tickets until there's a single performance left?

22. Likes Nemorino liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post

I think I've learned my lesson paying big $$ to see Jonas Kaufmann! I paid $200 or so to see him sing Walther (Die Meistersinger) in Munich, but he was a no-show. Then, his cover called in sick. We ended up seeing the third string tenor - who was ok. However, the out of the way trip to Munich (during Oktoberfest), on top of the tickets was, shall we say, pricey - so the whole thing was kind of a bust.