Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    So, overall I loved the show, even if it could have been slightly better.
    And I hope the tickets to Onegin worked out!

Senior Member Involved Member jflatter's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    In defense of the outrageously traditional people I share an opera house with (multiple people have tried to claim to me that the Frisell Aida production used to involve elephants before "political correctness became all-important." What sort of shared hallucination is this?!), I rather get the impression that the issue wasn't Carsen's updating of the time frame, and that there would have been none of this booing if the entire 1911 staging had been done in that beautiful-but-austere way Carsen has. But it was the raunchy, party Robert Carsen who staged the third act, and there were flashing stripper windows hahaha.

And I agree, Gunther Groissbock is fantastic! I've really liked him in everything I've seen him in (Landgrave and Lodovico last year, as well as Don Fernando last month), and I will admit to harboring secret hopes that he'd get a couple performances for next season's Gurnemanz (not that I'm not quite excited about Rene Pape, but I've seen him do this before).
    I'm sure it was the raunchy part that got the audience going... but going back to the merits of the production, I was surprised when I heard Carsen was doing the production as I thought originally that Christoph Waltz's production from Antwerp was meant to be coming to ROH and the Met. I presume Mr Waltz was busy with other things so could not do the rehearsals and therefore Carsen may have been asked to step fairly late. This production to me appears nothing more than his Salzburg production with new sets.

Groissbock also impressed as Fasolt in Bayreuth this summer and is coming over to ROH to sing the role next year. Rumour is that he maybe penciled in for Wotan in the new production of the Ring at Bayreuth in 2020 but that is only rumour. I heard his Gurnemanz in Amsterdam was pretty good.

3. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I hope the tickets to Onegin worked out!
    Yes, it did! I got lucky and found a last-minute returned ticket. Front row of Dress Circle. Most expensive ticket I've bought yet to an opera, but worth every penny.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    At least in its earlier Salzburg incarnation, I found Carsen's 1911 fin-de-siecle concept effective. In this approach, the "aging and fading beauty" applied, not just to an upper-class woman past her prime, but, more ominously, to an entire continent and a way of life. And along with that, of course, came the suggestion that this "beauty" may have always had its darker underside.

True, such a concept goes beyond the bounds of Strauss and Hofmannsthal's intention. But it's very much in keeping with the historical circumstances from which the opera emerged.

In reading your comment, I realize that I probably should see the production before deciding that I don't like Carsen's concept. Good point, thanks.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sasha Cooke talks about her role as Laurene Jobs in The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs at Santa Fe Opera.

http://www.schmopera.com/talking-wit...s-sasha-cooke/

7. Likes Nemorino, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Russian bass arias. Some singers I'd not heard before.

http://www.russianartsong.com/arias-for-bass

9. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

ROH trailer for new production of Otello next month. I certainly hope der Jonas stays healthy (he had to cancel his final Cavaradossi in Vienna after catching a cold -- possibly the one that felled Angela Gheorghiu earlier) -- not only for the sake of everyone who has a ticket to the Otello performances, but also because I'm hoping a DVD of the production (with him, of course) will be released later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mariusz Kwiecien on Classic Talk. He discusses Krol Roger (Nemorino, you're getting the ROH Kasper Holten production with Kwiecien in 2 years!) and how he got into music/opera.

12. Thanks Festat thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mariusz Kwiecien on Classic Talk. He discusses Krol Roger (Nemorino, you're getting the ROH Kasper Holten production with Kwiecien in 2 years!) and how he got into music/opera.
    My all-time opera crush.

Post Thanks / Like
    WHAT?!?!? Sweet! Dallas Opera knocking it out of the ballpark again. I just became a donor this month, even though I can barely afford it, and they're the farthest of the 4 main opera companies in my home-state.

15. Likes Dichteurehalle, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I've been procrastinating work the whole night with Classic Talk and they have the most enchanting interview with Renata Scotto:

The great primedonne, we always call them by their last names. Callas, Sutherland, Freni, Tebaldi, Caballé, Moffo, Sciutti... Scotto, though, was always Renata for me. I always liked her so much on a personal level, I don't really know why. She's always so relatable it's like we're friends even though I never knew much about her beyond the usual. I felt I didn't need to. She's always so open and so willing to give on stage I feel like I know her and by that interview I wish I really did.

Now the sun will rise in a minute and I have to hit the road by noon. Work will have to wait until tomorrow. Mission accomplished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemorino View Post
    WHAT?!?!? Sweet! Dallas Opera knocking it out of the ballpark again. I just became a donor this month, even though I can barely afford it, and they're the farthest of the 4 main opera companies in my home-state.
    Whoa, are you a donor to four separate opera companies?

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoa, are you a donor to four separate opera companies?
    No, just to the farthest of the 4! LOL. Sorry I didn't make that clear. As soon as I make enough money, I promise to donate to more. But Dallas makes me the most excited. And I don't even particularly like spending time in Dallas!! But they put on some ambitious repertoire. Their pre-opera talks are generally more informative than Houston's, too, which feel dumbed-down to the point of being condescending.

19. Likes Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hyperion has a very unusual section on their website...

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's certainly an interesting sales tactic.