Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cardiff Singer of the World 2017 catch-up for those in UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...d-2017-round-1

Much comment on Social Media on the Norwegian mezzo's dress. Too revealing?

Name:  Screenshot.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  47.1 KB

2. Likes Festat liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cleavage seems to be her thing. Look at her pictures on Google Images. She must really like that one, though, apparently she's been wearing it since 2012! It looks like a nice dress.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the dress in full view. I must admit I have a soft spot for velvet and green is my favorite color.

5. Likes Hoffmann, Dichteurehalle liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    TBH anything that makes opera visible is fine. Might distract public attention from the crooning Welsh Barbie so they can hear quality singing
    Natalie

7. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    I must admit I have a soft spot for velvet and green is my favorite color.
    I love this shade of green! If I found a nice dress in this color, I would definitely buy it and wear it, revealing or no.

Listened to the ROH Meistersinger over the weekend. I thought Pappano's read involved a "main" line that was less prominent than usual and correspondingly greater emphasis on the other lines. (Gosh, I don't know the proper term for anything. In college, we were required to take 8 liberal arts classes, and I'm really regretting only doing economics for that. A music theory class or two would have been fantastic.) Though during the Act 3 Sachs and Beckmesser confrontation, there were several times when everything was momentarily unrecognizable. Other than the previously-known-to-me Terfel, Willis-Sorensen, and Kranzle, I liked Gwyn Hughes Jones (could this name be more Welsh?) and really liked Allan Clayton's David. I think Glyndebourne is broadcasting him as Hamlet in a couple weeks?

Also went to the Met summer recital with some coworkers on Monday. I was really looking forward to Stephen Costello singing a primarily French program ("La fleur que tu m'avais jetee", "Salut, demeure chaste et pure", and "Pourquoi me reveiller"), but he cancelled and was replaced by Petr Nekoranec, one of the Lindemann Young Artists the day of. We looked him up, saw he was making his debut as the third esquire in Parsifal, shrugged, and made silly faces at each other. We shouldn't have, he was really good! (Admittedly, they were amplified for this). The tone is nice, the high C is secure, he sings French really nicely, and best of all, the passagio is super smooth.

1. "La donna e mobile"
    2. "Ah mes amis"
    3. "Je crois entendre encore" - this wasn't quite up to the same standards as the others, he took a couple breaths a word or two early, which broke the line ("O nuit enchanteresse divin // ravissement")
    4. Cherry Duet from L'Amico Fritz
    5. "Au mont Ida" - this was really great
    6. "Che gelida manina" to the end of the scene - it looked like Susanna Phillips maybe intended to stand-and-sing it, and Nekoranec surprised her when he offered his hand, led her to a chair, and started singing as he took off his suit jacket and put it around her shoulders.
    7. "Granada" as an encore, which he introduced by saying "Probably it would be better to sing 'New York, New York' haha. My coworker's (Mexican) husband says his Spanish was sharp, really good.

9. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    TBH anything that makes opera visible is fine. Might distract public attention from the crooning Welsh Barbie so they can hear quality singing
    I'm sure Luiz would approve -- he's probably hoping La Bellissima acquires one like it!

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dichteurehalle View Post
    I love this shade of green! If I found a nice dress in this color, I would definitely buy it and wear it, revealing or no....
    quite.

ditto.

Post Thanks / Like
    My goodness... who wasn't completely blown away by that Cardiff Singer of the World Song Prize?

I almost want to buy a ticket to UlongBator straight away and go walk abouts on the plains of Mongolia...

absolutely fabulous performance and well deserved winner!

Post Thanks / Like
    post script..

it was a joint win, for the first time in the competition history and a tiphat to Catriona too... I shall keep a close eye on her developments too...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Name:  Screenshot.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  47.1 KB
    "My voice is up here."

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    "My voice is up here."

A friend of mine said he didn't know where to look!

16. Likes Amfortas, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a good final. I favoured Louise, Kang and Catriona; perhaps Kang a little more because of the last piece and Catriona a little less because of diction but an excellent result nonetheless. I was a little disappointed that the Ganbataar performance wasn't the mind blowing performance of the night before in the song prize final (I get teary eyed just remembering it) but I saved that to the hard drive as soon as I heard it so will no doubt go back to it in the future!

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to top the couture and cleavage discussions. Velvet crushes too easily. Anyway....

All of my classmates in German class are working toward certificates - certificates verifying competence in German are required both by employers and for entry into University. I am the only plodder who doesn't worry about such things. One element of the "Prüfung" is an extemporaneous monologue. I kind of was yawning my way thru our teacher's (Katya) explanation of what is involved with the monologue - not dissimilar to a presentation one might give at work, but without notes, when she told us the class was going to practice.

I was given my topic - Handel - and had to speak for one minute about Handel in German (ganz auf Deutsch). I thought you guys would do much better on the subject, but I did earn a round of applause.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have liked to have heard that. In another world where I speak German of course.

Did it include "Handel was naturalized as a British citizen by the King himself. That would be George of Hanover..."?

20. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I would have liked to have heard that. In another world where I speak German of course.

Did it include "Handel was naturalized as a British citizen by the King himself. That would be George of Hanover..."?
    So one German naturalized another German as a British citizen . . . ?