Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    When allegations are of a very serious nature, it's not that unusual for businesses, agencies, or organizations to suspend a person while an investigation is ongoing. Like Annie, I'm going to wait until the investigation is completed and the results are announced before commenting.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Note: Sorry, this post doesn't make a lot of sense any more as I have deleted a piece of gossip. It occurred to me, too late, that 40 year old events are getting people into trouble and I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

As you know, I supered in some of the Met's Wolf Trap and Kennedy Center performances over several years, when the company came to DC, so came to know the supernumerary handlers and costumers/dressers - and they loved to gossip.

There was a (pretty terrible) soprano who "sang" Desdemona - across from Domingo of all people - who had the staff hold some kind of throat spray for her when she was off stage (they even pointed it out to me). These guys (and it was all guys in those days) laughed and told me that no amount of throat spray would ever magically give her a voice. I have to say that when I found Domingo after the performance to ask him to sign my Victor Book of the Opera, said soprano was standing next to him and offered to sign when he was done. I didn't have the heart to tell her 'no', that I wasn't interested.
    Last edited by Hoffmann; December 4th, 2017 at 02:35 PM.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Note: Sorry, this post doesn't make a lot of sense any more as I have deleted a piece of gossip. It occurred to me, too late, that 40 year old events are getting people into trouble and I don't want to add fuel to the fire.

As you know, I supered in some of the Met's Wolf Trap and Kennedy Center performances over several years, when the company came to DC, so came to know the supernumerary handlers and costumers/dressers - and they loved to gossip.

There was a (pretty terrible) soprano who "sang" Desdemona - across from Domingo of all people - who had the staff hold some kind of throat spray for her when she was off stage (they even pointed it out to me). These guys (and it was all guys in those days) laughed and told me that no amount of throat spray would ever magically give her a voice. I have to say that when I found Domingo after the performance to ask him to sign my Victor Book of the Opera, said soprano was standing next to him and offered to sign when he was done. I didn't have the heart to tell her 'no', that I wasn't interested.
    I've heard several stories about Domingo!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    I've heard several stories about Domingo!!
    I might have told you one of them?!?
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Gelb addresses Met patrons:

Dear Mr. Gazzola
    I’m sure you have read news reports over the past 48 hours detailing allegations of sexual misconduct on the part of James Levine, the Met’s Music Director Emeritus. The Board of Directors and I are deeply disturbed by these reports, and I want to assure you that we are committed to a complete investigation. This is a sad moment in the company’s history and a tragedy for anyone whose life may have been affected, and we are prepared to take whatever measures are called for. We will keep our loyal audience apprised of any developments as they happen, and in the meantime, I thank you for your support of the Met. I also want to assure you that we will never lose focus on our artistic mission to continue to deliver performances of the highest artistic level.
    Thank you for your continued support of the Met.
    Sincerely,

Peter Gelb
    General Manager
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I might have told you one of them?!?
    I think you did!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Met has just Tweeted:

#CastChange Emmanuel Villaume will conduct Tosca on 12/31/17 & 1/3, 6, 9, 12, 23, & 27, 2018, replacing James Levine. Gareth Morrell will conduct 1/18, 2018. The conductor for 1/15 is TBA.The April/May performances will be conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann Lander (sospiro) View Post
    Met has just Tweeted:

#CastChange Emmanuel Villaume will conduct Tosca on 12/31/17 & 1/3, 6, 9, 12, 23, & 27, 2018, replacing James Levine. Gareth Morrell will conduct 1/18, 2018. The conductor for 1/15 is TBA.The April/May performances will be conducted by Bertrand de Billy.
    Thanks. I'll be there on 1/23. Emmanuel Villaume is good. He is the artistic director of Dallas Opera and the chief conductor of the Prague Philharmonia which is an orchestra I've heard before and they were very good. He conducted the recent Met Romeo et Juliette so I almost saw him but the day I attended was with Noseda. He is the guy conducting the recording session of the Barcarolle with Anna Netrebko and Elina Garanca that is a popular YouTube clip. Anna's CD Souvenirs is with him. I think we are in good hands.

Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 5th, 2017 at 05:51 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    The glamorous life of an opera singer!

http://www.katharinedain.com/merde/
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this is the wrong thread for this and I'll only know when I get an answer. I occasionally see threads on a particular opera but the thread title is prefaced by "OTF." So, what does OTF mean?

Here is an example (albeit an old one):
    http://operalively.com/forums/conten...-Rosenkavalier

Um, oh, now I see it in the thread location. It is in a sub forum titled, "Once or Twice A Fortnight."

So these threads do not seem open to general discussion of the opera, but are more focused to a specific performance? I have often wanted to post about a particular opera and could not find any threads but these OFT threads and was wary of throwing it off topic with a new post that is not specific to the performance under discussion.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the post's of our Canadian friend "I think you'll like this music too" who has a interweb blog that's written in a style to introduce music to those who don't know and (or) more detailed information on performances for others who know a little more about the music. He also shares some posts onto this forum.
    I think it's a thread open to discussion, like you do, for those who want to discuss further. ITYLTMT does come back to the thread when people do post something.

13. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Florestan View Post
    Maybe this is the wrong thread for this and I'll only know when I get an answer. I occasionally see threads on a particular opera but the thread title is prefaced by "OTF." So, what does OTF mean?

Here is an example (albeit an old one):
    http://operalively.com/forums/conten...-Rosenkavalier

Um, oh, now I see it in the thread location. It is in a sub forum titled, "Once or Twice A Fortnight."

So these threads do not seem open to general discussion of the opera, but are more focused to a specific performance? I have often wanted to post about a particular opera and could not find any threads but these OFT threads and was wary of throwing it off topic with a new post that is not specific to the performance under discussion.
    I don't think that our good Canadian friend would mind a follow-up post. Do it at will; I'm sure he will respond.

15. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

17. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Designer Leslie Travers, who designed the set for Grimes On The Beach, occasionally posts photos from where he's working.

This is the Scenic Paint Room at La Scala.

Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member Nemorino's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Houston Opera season will be announced tomorrow, but first I thought someone might like to see this bit of social media promotion. On Twitter over the last 6 days, they have given a hint about 1 of the operas from next season.

I’m pretty sure I know what a couple of these shows are, but I thought some of y'all might find it fun to guess:

1. The return of a past HGO world premiere with an HGO Studio alumna as the title character.
    2. This is one of the most frequently performed operas worldwide and a Houston audience favorite.
    3. A French opera that has never before graced the HGO stage (Past repertoire).
    4. It’s been 10 years since we performed this romantic German opera.
    5. An exciting new production of an Italian operatic masterpiece will come to Houston.
    6. Our biggest world premiere in a decade will star 2 famous singers who are related.
    Last edited by Nemorino; Today at 09:35 PM. Reason: spelling