Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carmina Burana at the train station in Vienna

Senior Member Involved Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    two new chamber operas for philadelphia this week, one premiere called "Slaying the Dragon" from a low-budget troupe, and the second run of Nico Muhly's "Dark Sisters" at the Kimmel Center.

Nico Muhly is about as modern as a hipster from juilliard, and he's just about the most avant-garde event in recent Philadelphian history. Not that I'd know anything about it, because I'm protesting higher culture by not paying 60 dollars for the cheapest - sorry - "least expensive" seats. Maybe I'm in a bad mood, but it just seems silly to have the adventurous programming of philly's opera company with the prices that lock out everyone but adventure-loathing senior citizens.

Surely, I can support the lower budget troupe with their lower-brow effort. ... ... ... except they're 60 bucks too.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanGesamtkunstwerk View Post
    two new chamber operas for philadelphia this week, one premiere called "Slaying the Dragon" from a low-budget troupe, and the second run of Nico Muhly's "Dark Sisters" at the Kimmel Center.

Nico Muhly is about as modern as a hipster from juilliard, and he's just about the most avant-garde event in recent Philadelphian history. Not that I'd know anything about it, because I'm protesting higher culture by not paying 60 dollars for the cheapest - sorry - "least expensive" seats. Maybe I'm in a bad mood, but it just seems silly to have the adventurous programming of philly's opera company with the prices that lock out everyone but adventure-loathing senior citizens.

Surely, I can support the lower budget troupe with their lower-brow effort. ... ... ... except they're 60 bucks too.
    Not sure what your simile means ... but it's a shame it's so expensive. They're not going to encourage the young (& the poverty stricken) to go.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted in the "How as your day?" thread that the performance of Parsifal last night was astounding. Im going to see it again on the 25th and will write a proper review.

5. Likes Aksel, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    I posted in the "How as your day?" thread that the performance of Parsifal last night was astounding. Im going to see it again on the 25th and will write a proper review.
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it even more second time around. Look forward to reading it!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've just read surprising opinion elsewhere:

The Don Giovanni epilogue is one of the most terrifying scenes of opera. After the death of Don Giovanni, the characters return to the ordinary and the banal
    What? I never seen it that way. When Donnas and Dons enter after Giovanni is gone I never felt anything like suggested here. This ending is rather natural, as the whole opera is "dramma giosco" by intention. Do I miss something?

Post Thanks / Like
    A ramble with Simon Keenlyside.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Likes CountessAdele, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member CountessAdele's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting vid for you. Personally, I like it.

Only the positive!

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Munich Ring looks really exciting! I do hope there will be a DVD.
    Last edited by Aksel; July 13th, 2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: DAMN YOU, ENGLISH LANGUAGE!

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, that was brilliant. The rhinemaidens appeared out of the watery crowd as if by magic...

Schigolch
    *Our* Leah Crocetto is going to sing Desdemona at La Fenice:

http://www.teatrolafenice.it/dettagl...Spettacolo=617

Funny thing is Gregory Kunde will sing Otello.... This must be one of those rare occasions that one tenor have sung both Rossini's and Verdi's Otello.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta go! Don't miss the pleasure of seeing Leah on stage! I'll have it tonight for the second time, and I can't wait!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Schigolch
    One year ago, I would've most probably go.

Regrettably, I'm in a much more restricted agenda, those days.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schigolch View Post
    *Our* Leah Crocetto is going to sing Desdemona at La Fenice:

http://www.teatrolafenice.it/dettagl...Spettacolo=617

Funny thing is Gregory Kunde will sing Otello.... This must be one of those rare occasions that one tenor have sung both Rossini's and Verdi's Otello.
    This seems to tie in with Roberto Alagna's assertion that Verdi's Otello can be sung by a lyric tenor; that casting the role with dramatic tenors was a trend that began in the mid/late 20th century. Unless his voice has undergone some vast change of which I'm unaware, Kunde is definitely a lyric tenor.

Schigolch
    Well, Verdi's Otello *is* written for a dramatic tenor. It was first sung by Tamagno, but also by Hermann Winkelmann (the first Parsifal), Giovanni de Negri, Giuseppe Borgatti or Antonio Paoli, all of them quite dramatic voices, well before the mid 20th century.

But yes, Kunde is not a dramatic, or even a spinto, tenor at all. So it would be an interesting performance.