Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kunde as Verdi's Otello? That *is* surprising! Is it even a good idea, Schigolch? Does he risk damaging his voice, trying to force it into such dramatic territory?

Schigolch
    At this stage in his career, I don't think he has much of a voice to damage. He is 58, and most probably he has only left a few years singing, so he is fine to take some risks. I'm interested in the results, though I don't really think it will be good... Then again, I might be wrong. Let's find out next season!.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow! The New York Times music critic Cori Ellison said in an article about Elizabeth Futral that La Juive was composed by Meyerbeer (it's Halévy) and I Puritani by Donizetti (it's Bellini). Can't the NYT afford to hire more knowledgeable "music critics"???
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Holy cow! The New York Times music critic Cori Ellison said in an article about Elizabeth Futral that La Juive was composed by Meyerbeer (it's Halévy) and I Puritani by Donizetti (it's Bellini). Can't the NYT afford to hire more knowledgeable "music critics"???
    Send in your résumé!

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Send in your résumé!
    Why would I want to write for The New York Times if I write for a much better publication, Opera Lively?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would I want to write for The New York Times if I write for a much better publication, Opera Lively?
    More money?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    More money?
    Money?

1. I'm a rich man.
    2. I do it for the love of the art form.

(Well maybe item 1 is not *entirely* accurate)

Senior Member Involved Member CountessAdele's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2258259841

Wonderful link to watch Joyce Didonato in "Homecoming" on the pbs website.
    Only the positive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CountessAdele View Post
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2258259841

Wonderful link to watch Joyce Didonato in "Homecoming" on the pbs website.
    Yes I was sorry that I missed that on TV, I was planning to watch. Do you know for how long this will be up? Never mind, I got it: expires July 28, bummer, I'm so busy now!

OK, I'm watching it, and of course everything that Joyce does is exquisite, intelligent, highly competent, and enjoyable. But what were these people thinking when the video edition/direction kept cutting on the music all the time? They should have the documentary part, all the interviews and Joyce's wonderful insights, but then the musical numbers should have been presented separate, and in their integrity. I kept thinking, "I want to listen to the music!" It is just like attending a concert with some chatty seat neighbors who keep talking during the music. What a blunder, PBS! Don't you know that people who are into classical music like to... listen to the music?? Seems obvious enough, no?? Amazing!!!
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); July 23rd, 2012 at 07:36 AM.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    VERY happy. I've just found out that there is a concert performance of Nabucco next month (with Boris Statsenko and Paoletta Marrocu) and I'm now the possesor of a good ticket to it. Better start some homework, don't know it very well apart of course from va pensiero.
    Natalie

11. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real relation between Stalin and Shostakovich. I loved this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Shostakovich-S...akovich+stalin

Have you read it? Things were much more complex than we could imagine in Dmitri's life. And he was kind of lucky comparing to the other composers neglected by tis dictator. This book is going deeper in this relationship. I strongly recommend it. I also read two perspectives of Mozart's life, his wife and his sister. Of course I also read many books about other composers I like, like R-K, Tchaikovsky, etc

Martin

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zerbinetta (Likely Impossibilities blog) is in Salzburg for the festival.

She has just tweeted
    salzburg boheme insanity! pereira emerged. beczala is ill. we must wait 40 minuted for sub. hisses. dramatic pause. sub is Jonas Kaufmann
    Follow the rest of the drama here.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hehehe, this is really interesting. Can you imagine the commotion? People are hissing, angry at having to put up with some sub... and the sub turns out to be the biggest current tenor star!!! Pretty wild stuff!

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    People are hissing, angry at having to put up with some sub... and the sub turns out to be the biggest current tenor star!!!
    She wrote that the sub was Kaufmann, not Flórez. It's such a short text and you still had to misread.

17. Likes Amfortas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    She wrote that the sub was Kaufmann, not Flórez. It's such a short text and you still had to misread.
    Flórez who? Who is this Flórez???

19. Likes Amfortas, MAuer liked this post