Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The Metropolitan Opera Guild has just sent me a reminder that it's time to renew my membership (time as they define it, apparently; my membership doesn't expire until 30 November). Anyway, the enclosed brochure with the headline, "Please renew your Membership today," is graced with a photo of my adored Herr Kaufmann, costumed as Parsifal, and seeming to stare the reader straight in the eye. Reminds me in a way of those old Uncle Sam "I Want You" recruiting posters . . . except that der Jonas is a heckuva lot better looking than old Unk.
    Good market research! They obviously know their target audience well.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Metropolitan Opera Guild has just sent me a reminder that it's time to renew my membership (time as they define it, apparently; my membership doesn't expire until 30 November). Anyway, the enclosed brochure with the headline, "Please renew your Membership today," is graced with a photo of my adored Herr Kaufmann, costumed as Parsifal, and seeming to stare the reader straight in the eye. Reminds me in a way of those old Uncle Sam "I Want You" recruiting posters . . . except that der Jonas is a heckuva lot better looking than old Unk.
    Yes, but is he *dressed* like Uncle Sam?

Now that would be an interesting Parsifal.

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Really, I saw photo of that thing for the first time today. I've seen only Palais Garnier so far and thought it's the "main" Paris opera house, that's where they had that famous Donna del Lago not long ago and now I've been exposed to brutal truth.

IT'S UNBELIVEABLY AWFUL

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is. Although the inside is rather nice. And they have very tasty sandwiches.

7. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post

Really, I saw photo of that thing for the first time today. I've seen only Palais Garnier so far and thought it's the "main" Paris opera house, that's where they had that famous Donna del Lago not long ago and now I've been exposed to brutal truth.

IT'S UNBELIVEABLY AWFUL
    And it has awful acoustics as well. And yes, most of the Opéra National de Paris productions are given at Opéra Bastille, and just a few at Palais Garnier, which is kept more for ballet, concerts, etc. - although this season they do have a fair number. But Paris has other fabulous houses - Châtelet, Salle Favart at Opéra-Comique which are not part of the Opéra National but are equally prestigious. So, the season is sort of evenly divided between the four.

The 2012-13 season:

Châtelet:

West Side Story
    Street Scene
    Carousel
    Sunday in the Park with George
    I was Looking at the Ceiling... and Then I Saw the Sky

Favart:

Limbus-Limbo
    Venus and Adonis
    David et Jonathas
    Ciboulette
    Il Segreto di Susanna
    La Voix Humaine
    Il Diluvio Universale
    Cendrillon
    Mârouf, Savetier du Caire

Bastille:

Les Contes d'Hoffmann
    Le Nozze di Figaro
    La Fille du Régiment
    Tosca
    Carmen
    Khovanshina
    Das Rheingold
    Die Walküre
    Falstaff
    Siegfried
    La Gioconda
    Götterdämmerung

Garnier

Capriccio
    The Rake's Progress
    La Cenerentola
    Der Zwerg
    L'Enfant et les Sortilèges
    Hänsel und Gretel
    Giulio Cesare
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 25th, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Santa Fe Opera's conductor Frédéric Chaslin, resigns.

Seems to have been very sudden.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Santa Fe Opera's conductor Frédéric Chaslin, resigns.

Seems to have been very sudden.
    Well, this is a case of Opera Lively getting the scoop before anybody else. He had already said as much to us on August 24 (and then, again on August 25, replying to a follow-up question) in his interview with us that is currently featured as the top one in our Home page. His answers do provide some context in terms of additional possible reasons for his resignation.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); August 29th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

11. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post

IT'S UNBELIVEABLY AWFUL
    It doesn't even look like an opera house. It looks more like a science museum.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Lyric Opera of Chicago and/or Renèe Fleming wins at life.

Case in point:

14. Likes emiellucifuge, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    The Lyric Opera of Chicago and/or Renèe Fleming wins at life.

Case in point:
    Sheer inspired genius.

More please.
    Natalie

16. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oops . . . I was reading a review of a historic recording of Cosi fan tutte in the September issue of "Opera News," and came across this statement: " . . . but the revelation of the recording is the team of three native Italian speakers in the male roles. Luigi Alva's Ferrando is rightly the central pillar of the show . . . " Except that Alva was not Italian, but Peruvian. He adopted the Italian version of his first name, Luis. As did the Spanish tenor Jaume (Giacomo) Aragall.

18. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oops . . . I was reading a review of a historic recording of Cosi fan tutte in the September issue of "Opera News," and came across this statement: " . . . but the revelation of the recording is the team of three native Italian speakers in the male roles. Luigi Alva's Ferrando is rightly the central pillar of the show . . . " Except that Alva was not Italian, but Peruvian. He adopted the Italian version of his first name, Luis. As did the Spanish tenor Jaume (Giacomo) Aragall.
    They really need to get us on board as editors, whaddyareckon?
    Natalie

20. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Recently we've seen some very silly positions being voiced by doomsday prophets - including from people who should know better, like conductors and opera company directors - talking about the decline of opera (and particularly silly were those who talked about some ridiculous Hollywood movies as being at the heart of the decline).

Well, guess what, in the middle of one of the worst economic crises to ever hit Europe, here's what happened in Salzburg:

Attendance for the 2012 festival: 278,978 people, the all-time attendance record, since the start of the festival 92 years ago. Box office receipts: 28 million euros (35.2 million USD). Many performances sold out even before the opening day, and those that didn't, operated at 90% capacity.

Yeah, right, opera is dying.

And just wait to see what will happen after this long economic crisis is finally over (they all end at some point).

The doomsday prophets fail to look at this historically, with a longer-term perspective, and take the downturn in attendance and financial trouble for some companies (like the ones in Italy, and some regional US companies) as proof of inevitable decline rather than just the effects of a global economic downturn that affects ALL sectors, not just opera.

Opera has always survived - for the last 413 years, something no other musical genre can say; there is no other musical genre that has been producing new composers, new works, new artists CONTINUOUSLY for over four centuries - and will continue to survive just fine.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); September 16th, 2012 at 06:37 PM.

22. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opera survived that last depression. I think we'll be just fine after this one. People haven't even begun using money as wallpaper yet.

24. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pereira knows what he's doing in Salzburg. I think this festival will continue to remain healthy financially and artistically.