Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My internet friend Andrew (a conservatory student in Russia) and I were discussing the newly released CD of the recording used for the 1961 telefilm of "Dubrovsky," and the ramifications this would have on our subtitle project (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUtUwlNFJM).

While detailing how he had located a vocal score printed in 1902 (a full 70 years earlier than the copy that I have), he provided this interesting little tidbit:

"I'll check the differences between these versions. Perhaps there are different redactions (if you want to know, there was such a thing with Tosca - in ex-USSR it was firsly performed as "Struggle for the commune" and Floria Tosca was replaced by Jeanna Dmitrieva, Russian revolutionary; instead of the painter Mario Cavaradossi they used Arlain, a comissioner etc.)."

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Further details from Andrew:

To say even more - attached is the photo of corrected version of the libretto.
    At the left page it is written:
    ""In the strive for [Paris] Commune". Opera in 3 acts. Music by Puccini. New composition of plot and libretto by N. G. Vinogradov and S. D. Spassky"
    Right page of this "new-born masterpiece":
    "Jeanna Dmitrieva, a Russian revolutionary (instead of "Floria Tosca, famous singer")
    Arlain, a communard (instead of Cavaradossi)
    Galifet, a commader-in-chief of the troops of Versaiiles (instead of "Barone Scarpia, chief of the police")
    Delescluze, leader of the Commune (instead of Cesare Angelotti)
    Priest instead of Sacristan
    Sicres, an officer (Spoletta, a policeman)
    Sciarone, gendarme is "aide-de-camp of Galifet"
    Jailer is replaced by "guard"
    "A shepherd" is omitted".

Action is not in Rome, in 1800 but in Paris, in 1871.

Brilliant.

There were some more examples. The one I can remember at once: my professor gave me a DVD with recording of a concert dedicated to the jubilee of the Bolshoi theater. Final piece performed there was the final choir of Glinka's Ruslan and Luidmila - "Glory to almighty gods". It was sung like this: "Glory to the Soviet world. Glory to its sons, glory to its daughters". Certainly, we were CONSIDERED to be atheists and pray to the gods was not acceptable at all - and it created these "fake masterpieces".

Name:  Toska2.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  94.1 KB

4. Thanks emiellucifuge thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Wally (1932)

I have been searching unsuccessfully for a couple of years now for the 1932 Italian film version of Catalani's "La Wally." According to some sources on the internet, this was the first opera film (if not the first musical film) made in Italy. Other than this, the only other information I have been able to uncover is the list of the cast and crew, as per imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023667/. This same information is available on countless other internet sites. And that's it. Nothing else. I assume, then, that this is a lost film, as I can find no indication that anyone has even seen it since its initial release (there are, however, at imdb some disparaging comments taken from an American review in the late 1930s). Nor can I find a single production still from the film. I was able, however, to uncover this poster from a Swedish release:

Name:  wally.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  71.1 KB

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The new Laurent Pelly production of Robert le diable at ROH is going to be recorded for DVD.

Source: ROH has just responded to a Tweet from yours truly [@F1Annie]
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

7. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Nervous Gentleman, Aksel liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    The new Laurent Pelly production of Robert le diable at ROH is going to be recorded for DVD.

Source: ROH has just responded to a Tweet from yours truly [@F1Annie]
    Hurrah! Any new Pelly production on DVD is a major win. And it will be nice to see the very fabulous Jennifer Rowley's performance (she was the Musetta in the incredibly controversial (on this forum) Oslo Boheme).

9. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Hurrah! Any new Pelly production on DVD is a major win. And it will be nice to see the very fabulous Jennifer Rowley's performance (she was the Musetta in the incredibly controversial (on this forum) Oslo Boheme).
    I was disappointed at first that Diana Damrau had cancelled but now I'm really looking forward to seeing Jennifer Rowley.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Name:  4782551.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  29.8 KB

Another honor for the Abbado Fidelio recording! The recipient of ECHO Classic's 2012 Opera Recording of the Year has now added the same award from Gramophone magazine. The publication's web site includes a charming video from Florestan -- a.k.a. Jonas Kaufmann --accepting the award.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/awards/2012/opera

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    EMI has released a teaser video for Joyce DiDonato's new album 'Drama Queens':

http://www.emimusic.de/video/93558/j...ens-music-clip

Senior Member Involved Member StLukesGuildOhio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Name:  4782551.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  29.8 KB

Another honor for the Abbado Fidelio recording! The recipient of ECHO Classic's 2012 Opera Recording of the Year has now added the same award from Gramophone magazine. The publication's web site includes a charming video from Florestan -- a.k.a. Jonas Kaufmann --accepting the award.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/awards/2012/opera
    Now why did you have to go and tell me this? I have two Fidelios already and its not one of those works that I want dozens of recordings of.
    "Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of
    Congress .. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

14. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, now here's an offer we can't resist: Placido Domingo has a new CD coming out on the Sony label, entitled "Songs." The other vocalists with whom he sings include Zaz, Josh Groban, Susan Boyle, Xavier Naidon, and Katherine Jenkins, among others.

Well, actually maybe I can resist . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, now here's an offer we can't resist: Placido Domingo has a new CD coming out on the Sony label, entitled "Songs." The other vocalists with whom he sings include Zaz, Josh Groban, Susan Boyle, Xavier Naidon, and Katherine Jenkins, among others.

Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, Placido couldn't.

(By the way, for our American readers, have you noticed how Domingo is looking more and more like The Most Interesting Man in the World?

Stay thirsty, my friends.)

18. Likes Nervous Gentleman liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post

Apparently, Placido couldn't.

(By the way, for our American readers, have you noticed how Domingo is looking more and more like The Most Interesting Man in the World?

Stay thirsty, my friends.)
    Well, chances are that Placidone *is* the Most Interesting Man in the World.

And regarding Ms. Jenkins, wow... with her looks, I can forgive her voice.
    We've had another thread with several pictures of her in which she looked stunning, remember?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Placido keeps sinking in my estimation. He's turning into a Popera Tart as well.
    Natalie

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's the protocol for getting an autograph after a performance? Do you just wait outside the stage door? Do opera singers sign autographs usually?