Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    Really, please link them because I haven't found any!
    Some reviews haven't been so good but it's only opinion!

link1

link2

link3
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I found this blog entry by soprano Elisabeth Meister well thought out & very moving.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

3. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why does Waltraud Meier travel around so often with Daniel Barenboim? They work together super often.

In the middle of a lunch interview with Andrew Clark, Meier just shows up to say hi.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    Why does Waltraud Meier travel around so often with Daniel Barenboim? They work together super often.
    Given some of the results, I imagine both of them would want to continue the partnership.

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interview request: Any chance of getting an Opera Lively interview with Kate Lindsey/Jones in the future? I really like her voice.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Given some of the results, I imagine both of them would want to continue the partnership.
    While he was still actively performing, Siegfried Jerusalem was another close partner of both Barenboim and Meier. The accompanist on one of his Lieder recordings is Elena Bashkirova, a.k.a. Mrs. Barenboim. And one of the first major artists to take part in a special program of the Nürnberg Hochschule für Musik (music university), where Jerusalem is on the faculty and was then serving as the university's rector, was Waltraud Meier.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Interview request: Any chance of getting an Opera Lively interview with Kate Lindsey/Jones in the future? I really like her voice.
    Yes, we can try. These things are hits or misses; sometimes we get these interviews, sometimes we don't (although lately hits are becoming more frequent than misses). What is the /Jones for? I only see her billed as Kate Lindsey.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

9. Thanks Tardis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, she just got married last year but I guess she's keeping her maiden name.

Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Yes, we can try. These things are hits or misses; sometimes we get these interviews, sometimes we don't (although lately hits are becoming more frequent than misses). What is the /Jones for? I only see her billed as Kate Lindsey.

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is extraordinary regie production of Barbiere, they turned Don Basilio into Beethoven (see 0:36):

I'll be seeing this production in a week. I already saw that tenor live, very fine fellow - I'd go as far as to claim he'd be worthy to burnish vocal cords of Zanzarone.

Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Off topic but the guest to member ratio on this forum is very high.

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    People are afraid to join us when they see how knowledgeable and stuff we are. They exchange links between each other, I mean opera lovers, but they also say "go and learn what you can but do not register, do not post there, you'll only ridicule yourself among these all-knowing super mega ultra opera professors of force".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    People are afraid to join us when they see how knowledgeable and stuff we are. They exchange links between each other, I mean opera lovers, but they also say "go and learn what you can but do not register, do not post there, you'll only ridicule yourself among these all-knowing super mega ultra opera professors of force".
    They obviously haven't read my posts then ...
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Advice on writing a review: I would like to write a review for some of the upcoming productions I will be seeing. I have never written a review before. Is there a particular structure or specific things I should mention in the review on the music or singing? I would like the review to be helpful and that's why I am asking. Thanks.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Advice on writing a review: I would like to write a review for some of the upcoming productions I will be seeing. I have never written a review before. Is there a particular structure or specific things I should mention in the review on the music or singing? I would like the review to be helpful and that's why I am asking. Thanks.
    There is a thread in the DVD-CD-Blu Ray forum, stuck to the top of the forum, that contains extensive advice on how to write a review.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it is the case for all forums out there, maybe with variable ratio but it is pretty typical that readership is several times more than membership.
    Another reason is that we're not just a forum like some other sites are. We also have journalistic content, so people come to read the content and they aren't necessarily the type who likes to stick around and post comments in a forum. So we can't compare our ratio to those of sites who don't publish exclusive interviews and exclusive articles like we do. Our counters count hits for the journalistic pages as well and do not differentiate those from hits for the forum pages.