Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reading the biographies of major stars, it sounds like more than half of them get their start substituting for the sick, dropout singer of a lead role.

What about the other one half? You never hear those stories, slow and steady wins the race, etc. You never hear that someone got their big break at an audition... It's always person X got sick, Y replaced X, a star is born, etc etc.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If they have children you could always give them something for the child.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I think flowers are a very unexceptionable gift. Go for it.
    I agree. And for a chap?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I agree. And for a chap?
    You can't go wrong with socks.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A pony! Who doesn't want a pony?

6. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Anna Netrebko said she truly likes flowers.
    I remember that one. The man asked her "what kind of flowers exactly do you like?" and she answered "och, yes, I love flowers, I never go to bed before they're all in water!!!!".

Such a smart girl.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Question for opera fans, what's the protocol for giving presents to an opera singer you are a fan of?
    What are appropriate presents to give? Are flowers OK or would that be too much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    You can't go wrong with socks.

Not sure what Simon Keenlyside's reaction would be.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    A pony! Who doesn't want a pony?

Of course!!! It can sit beside me & we can watch Die Zauberflöte together & then we can trot round to the Stage Door & Simon can ride him home. Keep checking back for photos.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to see Lohengrin today (first live opera), mostly disappointed; not sure whether it's because of the performance, the poor (i.e. cheap) seating/poor acoustics of the hall, the singers, the rank, geriatric people sandwiching me with binoculars, but they were all factors. The biggest surprise was how small and distant the voices were. Petra Lang was the only singer that stood out for me (she received a few loud "bravos" from the audience. A few reviews (who knows, maybe they're shills) of the earlier performances of the same production are ecstatic, I guess things trail off on the last day? I was probably setting up myself for disappoint by reviewing the 1991 Abbado Lohengrin and the 2006 Nagano Blu-Ray (both featuring Waltraud Meier as Orturd). Or maybe my hearing is just awful. This is making me hesitant in investing big bucks in the Gheorgiu Tosca, especially after reading this yesterday from Alma.

That's why I love Anna Netrebko and Renée Fleming and I don't care much for Angela Gheorghiu. The former have likable personalities and are reliable professionals. Angela is a fine singer but is also histrionic and over narcissistic. Her Prima Donna affectation gets in my nerves, and not even on DVD I like her. While I don't hesitate to purchase air tickets and expensive seats to see Anna Netrebko (like I did recently), I would never do the same to see Angela; not in a small way because I wouldn't even be able to be sure that she'd show up. It's a disgrace. While cancellations are always a risk because singers are human beings who get sick, in Angela's case it is hard to believe that she was really incapacitated, given the alarming frequency of her behavior. She was once expelled from the Lyric Opera of Chicago for lack of professionalism, not to mention her famous blonde wig episode with Volpe. These things would never happen to Anna or Renée.

I agree. Gheorghiu has overstayed her welcome. At first I thought she had a gifted voice, comparable to the that of the greats of the past. Now I can't stand her. I wish she'd just go away. These days, I avoid DVDs or YouTube clips that feature her, and wouldn't spend my money for a ticket if she were part of the cast. I've kind of developed a Gheorghiu allergy.

There were a few highlights; a teenage couple making out near the staircase between Act I and II, and other sundry things, ahem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    Went to see Lohengrin today (first live opera), mostly disappointed; not sure whether it's because of the performance, the poor (i.e. cheap) seating/poor acoustics of the hall, the singers, the rank, geriatric people sandwiching me with binoculars, but they were all factors. The biggest surprise was how small and distant the voices were. Petra Lang was the only singer that stood out for me. A few reviews (who knows, maybe they're shills) of the earlier performances of the same production are ecstatic, I guess things trail off on the last day? This is making me hesitant in investing big bucks in the Gheorgiu Tosca, especially after reading this yesterday from Alma
    It's always disappointing when you're listening to greatest singing geezers of all time on CDs and then go to see local performers where you live. You can't expect it to be as great as on classic recording. You don't have to see Gheorghiu so early in your live experience, find something relatively near you where you will be able to attend rewarding performances, not necessarily with famous singers like Gheorghiu in cast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    You can't expect it to be as great as on classic recording. You don't have to see Gheorghiu so early in your live experience, find something relatively near you where you will be able to attend rewarding performances, not necessarily with famous singers like Gheorghiu in cast.
    Gheorgiu is near me. She's coming to town, for two weeks, performing six nights. The production has alternating Tosca/Cavaradossi/Scarpias on different days; my paranoid suspicion, undoubtedly aroused by all the toxic things said about Gheorgiu in blue above and then some from the same thread, that this is just an excuse to have the house sell out and then announce that Gheorghiu cancel and have Racette replace her; minimize the scandal since Racette is singing Tosca in the same production anyways.

It's always disappointing when you're listening to greatest singing geezers of all time on CDs and then go to see local performers where you live.
    Guess I'll have to stay away from those two Tebaldi Toscas for the next two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gheorgiu is near me. She's coming to town, for two weeks, performing six nights. The production has alternating Tosca/Cavaradossi/Scarpias on different days; my paranoid suspicion, undoubtedly aroused by all the toxic things said about Gheorgiu in blue above and then some from the same thread, that this is just an excuse to have the house sell out and then announce that Gheorghiu cancel and have Racette replace her; minimize the scandal since Racette is singing Tosca in the same production anyways.
    Don't take all that Almaviva writes seriously, when it comes to female singers he follows his own logic. He has preference for peasant-like ways of Netrebko and can't stand that Gheorghiu acts like blood-and-bone soprano... he even admitted himself that it's more of personal dislike than objective criticism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to see Lohengrin today (first live opera), mostly disappointed; not sure whether it's because of the performance, the poor (i.e. cheap) seating/poor acoustics of the hall, the singers, the rank, geriatric people sandwiching me with binoculars, but they were all factors. The biggest surprise was how small and distant the voices were. Petra Lang was the only singer that stood out for me (she received a few loud "bravos" from the audience. A few reviews (who knows, maybe they're shills) of the earlier performances of the same production are ecstatic, I guess things trail off on the last day? I was probably setting up myself for disappoint by reviewing the 1991 Abbado Lohengrin and the 2006 Nagano Blu-Ray (both featuring Waltraud Meier as Orturd). Or maybe my hearing is just awful.
    What a shame it was disappointing for you.

This is making me hesitant in investing big bucks in the Gheorgiu Tosca
    I'd heard lots of negative comments about Gheorghiu so when I went to see her in Faust I wasn't expecting much. But I loved her Marguerite and I also loved her Floria. I definitely want to see her again.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went to see Lohengrin today (first live opera), mostly disappointed; not sure whether it's because of the performance, the poor (i.e. cheap) seating/poor acoustics of the hall, the singers, the rank, geriatric people sandwiching me with binoculars, but they were all factors. The biggest surprise was how small and distant the voices were. Petra Lang was the only singer that stood out for me (she received a few loud "bravos" from the audience. A few reviews (who knows, maybe they're shills) of the earlier performances of the same production are ecstatic, I guess things trail off on the last day? I was probably setting up myself for disappoint by reviewing the 1991 Abbado Lohengrin and the 2006 Nagano Blu-Ray (both featuring Waltraud Meier as Orturd). Or maybe my hearing is just awful. This is making me hesitant in investing big bucks in the Gheorgiu Tosca, especially after reading this yesterday from Alma.

That's why I love Anna Netrebko and Renée Fleming and I don't care much for Angela Gheorghiu. The former have likable personalities and are reliable professionals. Angela is a fine singer but is also histrionic and over narcissistic. Her Prima Donna affectation gets in my nerves, and not even on DVD I like her. While I don't hesitate to purchase air tickets and expensive seats to see Anna Netrebko (like I did recently), I would never do the same to see Angela; not in a small way because I wouldn't even be able to be sure that she'd show up. It's a disgrace. While cancellations are always a risk because singers are human beings who get sick, in Angela's case it is hard to believe that she was really incapacitated, given the alarming frequency of her behavior. She was once expelled from the Lyric Opera of Chicago for lack of professionalism, not to mention her famous blonde wig episode with Volpe. These things would never happen to Anna or Renée.

I agree. Gheorghiu has overstayed her welcome. At first I thought she had a gifted voice, comparable to that of the greats of the past. Now I can't stand her. I wish she'd just go away. These days, I avoid DVDs or YouTube clips that feature her, and wouldn't spend my money for a ticket if she were part of the cast. I've kind of developed a Gheorghiu allergy.

There were a few highlights; a teenage couple making out near the staircase between Act I and II, and other sundry things, ahem.
    Well, I guess I was a bit too harsh on Angela Gheorghiu. She is a fine singer and a good-looking woman. I don't think it can be doubted that her voice is first rate. Like Aramis (Anne) said, I can be a bit biased regarding female singers, and maybe my talking down Angela has to do with seeing her as a sort of Anna rival for the job of number 1 soprano of their generation. Angela should be a very fine Tosca.

Don't be discouraged with a bad experience. Opera is live theater, things don't always go well, but overall, attending live opera is much better than listening to it on CD or watching a DVD. Better luck next time! I'm sure you'll love Tosca, if you go.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding performance dillemas, here's what I got today.

1. I read that somehow, new tickets for Piotr Beczała's anniversaly gala are avaiable (it seemd to be all sold out months back already). I go to the web, check... here they are, a nice couple of them...
    (what joy!)
    2. Wait... they're very expensive
    3. Wait... I don't have money to buy them even if they would be much cheaper!
    (what misery)