Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    Regarding performance dillemas, here's what I got today.

1. I read that somehow, new tickets for Piotr Beczała's anniversaly gala are avaiable (it seemd to be all sold out months back already). I go to the web, check... here they are, a nice couple of them...
    (what joy!)
    2. Wait... they're very expensive
    3. Wait... I don't have money to buy them even if they would be much cheaper!
    (what misery)
    Unacceptable. Sell your earthly possessions and buy the tickets!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Unacceptable. Sell your earthly possessions and buy the tickets!
    But I have no earthly possessions... except of tabacco pipe, broken violin and bottle of absinthe.

Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Success, glorious success.

After four days of experimentation that included 20 failed trials and three unexpected shutdowns, strewn with intermittent anguish and frustration, I've finally succeeded in finding a formula to transfer opera DVDs with visible subtitles on my iPhone.

5. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    Success, glorious success.

After four days of experimentation that included 20 failed trials and three unexpected shutdowns, strewn with intermittent anguish and frustration, I've finally succeeded in finding a formula to transfer opera DVDs with visible subtitles on my iPhone.
    Wow, this must take enormous chunks of memory. Do share details. I'm not sure if I follow you. Do you mean that you get your own DVDs and transfer them to watch them on your iPhone? I'm a bit puzzled... why would you want to do that, instead of watching them on a large screen TV with proper speakers? Portability, I suppose, but one can also watch these things on a portable laptop, again, with larger screen and better sound. So, what gives? An iPhone looks to me like a rather... erm, tiny way to watch opera. Is this satisfactory?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this must take enormous chunks of memory. Do share details. I'm not sure if I follow you. Do you mean that you get your own DVDs and transfer them to watch them on your iPhone?
    Yes. It's quite a complicated process. I have to rip the subtitles separately, rip the DVD, code the DVD into .mkv and then the .mkv into .mp4 and mux the subtitles with the .mp4. One hour of standard definition video is approx. 500 mb, which isn't so bad if you have a device with 64GB memory.

I'm a bit puzzled... why would you want to do that, instead of watching them on a large screen TV with proper speakers?
    No television for me . I have mid-tier IEMs (Head Direct RE ZERO) so the sound is adequate enough.

Portability, I suppose, but one can also watch these things on a portable laptop, again, with larger screen and better sound. So, what gives? An iPhone looks to me like a rather... erm, tiny way to watch opera. Is this satisfactory?
    Laptops aren't really portable, at least mine isn't. My laptop is 13 inches and quite bulky to carry around from place to place, it gets warm and I can't put it on my lap. I sit in front of my laptop enough as it is without watching opera on it, so watching it on my iPod Touch is much better for my health, back wise. I'm prone to start things without finishing and transferring my opera DVDs to my laptop is a hassle and takes too much time that would be wasted if I decide to not finish it and watch something else (I rarely read the DVDs directly because that would make it too hot + the loud sound is distracting so I burn the DVD into IFO + VOB files and I don't have enough memory to just burn it and leave it there which is why I often burn, not finish, delete, etc, quite a waste of time. The iPod mp4 files are much more manageable, I can save them on DVD-Rs in batches.)

Albeit there's a very limited cap on graphics on such a small device my main motivation isn't to see the visuals, although it's a plus. The main video that I had in mind is the 1992 Kupfer Parsifal with Waltraud Meier as Kundry and Barenboim conducting. It's probably her best performance on record since her 1990 studio recording with Barenboim was ruined by lazy sound engineering (the extra-wide dynamics make the record near unlistenable, with ear deafening climaxes and nearly inaudible regular dialogue; I'm not fonding of adjusting the volume every 10 seconds); she has two more recordings on record, the 1985 Bayreuth with Levine and a studio recording with Goodall the same year, but the former has very distant sound and the latter is hampered by sluggish conducting with a domineering conductor who wanted to mark his Wagner legacy that leaned the sound far more towards the orchestra than the singers.

On the iPhone unless you jailbreak it you can't play a video and read some other text at the same time (I'm not against jail breaking per se but it's even more of a hassle and there's nothing I want to do right now that would require jailbreaking), so I can't just listen to the audio in the video since it takes up the screen, which is why I had to very arduously try different formulas to force the subs to show up on the mp4 file, a notoriously difficult task (ok maybe I'm exaggerating just a little..).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/us...is-bad-for-you

I try to stand whenever I get the opportunity, and it's hard to watch opera on a laptop while you're standing.
    Last edited by Schigolch; February 10th, 2013 at 01:12 PM.

Senior Member Top Contributor Member HarpsichordConcerto's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a large so called laptop. It has an 18.4" monitor, probably the biggest screen laptop in production right now. I do occasionally move it around, but it is very heavy.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Muti in uncharacteristically hilarious mode.

Natalie

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you in England, if you can make it, please, please go to the Tosca performance in March with Yonghoon Lee and Kristine Opolais and write a review.
    Yonghoon Lee is AMAZING. You just have to hear him sing live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    please, please go to the Tosca performance in March with Yonghoon Lee and Kristine Opolais
    I asked Yonghoon Lee and Kristine Opolais but they didn't want to go there with me.

13. Likes Tardis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    I asked Yonghoon Lee and Kristine Opolais but they didn't want to go there with me.
    Kristine Opolais said she turned you down because she plans to spend that evening with me.

Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, Kristine Opolais is fantastic, isn't she? I fell in love with her while subtitling into English her performance in an in-house video of "The Demon." Not only a great singer and a great beauty, but also a great actress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRIvJjwLrvU

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kristine Opolais said she turned you down because she plans to spend that evening with me.
    Does Anna know about this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Does Anna know about this?
    She's not concerned because Almaviva turned Opolais down in order to go with Yonghoon Lee. Netrebko is tolerant.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the depth of opera google group message boards...

"Why do I continually frustrate myself, then, by listening and relistening
    and attending and re-attending these works until I am downright suffocated
    and exasperated by the "darkling" ways of everything (or almost everything)
    I experience? Don't these elements rarely cohere perfectly? Don't they
    cohere *only* when I crack open any one of these scores for myself to the
    point where I can practically transport myself to the Bayreuth Festspielhaus
    and hear and see Frida Leider in the 20s and 30s (whom I'm far too young
    ever to have seen in person) performing opposite Jon Vickers from the 70s in
    the Wieland Wagner mise en scene (the Boulez video of Tristan from the 60s)
    conducted by the Karajan of 1952 in Act I and the Furtwaengler of 1947 in
    Acts II and III -- with a healthy dose of Rooy's imaginary Kurvenal from the
    1890s and 1900s, Ludwig's Brangaene and Robeson's imaginary Marke (N.B.: a
    noted Shak[e]spearean actor of the 1940s as well as a distinguished bass)
    thrown in?"

I think this paragraph is a perfect condensation of the extreme record collector sentiment, of which I partake a(n) (in)healthy amount.

Sometimes I wish I could just smell the roses of today and find perfection in the imperfect, but then I remember that it was the demanding, pessimistic. there-must-be-something-better attitude which lead me to opera in the first place, and the persistence of that spirit that led me to my greatest "finds," as it were.

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    From the depth of opera google group message boards...

"Why do I continually frustrate myself, then, by listening and relistening
    and attending and re-attending these works until I am downright suffocated
    and exasperated by the "darkling" ways of everything (or almost everything)
    I experience? Don't these elements rarely cohere perfectly? Don't they
    cohere *only* when I crack open any one of these scores for myself to the
    point where I can practically transport myself to the Bayreuth Festspielhaus
    and hear and see Frida Leider in the 20s and 30s (whom I'm far too young
    ever to have seen in person) performing opposite Jon Vickers from the 70s in
    the Wieland Wagner mise en scene (the Boulez video of Tristan from the 60s)
    conducted by the Karajan of 1952 in Act I and the Furtwaengler of 1947 in
    Acts II and III -- with a healthy dose of Rooy's imaginary Kurvenal from the
    1890s and 1900s, Ludwig's Brangaene and Robeson's imaginary Marke (N.B.: a
    noted Shak[e]spearean actor of the 1940s as well as a distinguished bass)
    thrown in?"

I think this paragraph is a perfect condensation of the extreme record collector sentiment, of which I partake a(n) (in)healthy amount.

Sometimes I wish I could just smell the roses of today and find perfection in the imperfect, but then I remember that it was the demanding, pessimistic. there-must-be-something-better attitude which lead me to opera in the first place, and the persistence of that spirit that led me to my greatest "finds," as it were.
    There never will be a perfect recording/performance but most artists strive for perfection so we have to be grateful for that.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

21. Likes MAuer liked this post