Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, Its been a while.

I am literally just about to buy tickets to the ROH Tosca for myself and 3 others who have never been to an opera. Recommended?

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by emiellucifuge View Post
    I am literally just about to buy tickets to the ROH Tosca for myself and 3 others who have never been to an opera. Recommended?
    No, if you buy the tickets for those three it won't change anything, they won't do anything to save you when you're in trouble, they just say HEY EMIEL NICE TIME I LIKED WHEN SHE SCREAMED AND HE DIED COOL SHOW SEE YOU but when your carriage will be ambushed by forest knaves they won't come to your aid or even care, they may even not be present at your funeral, what reason do you have to buy them exprensive ROH tickets, by all means GO ALONE IT'S EASY TO IGNORE THE TRUTH AND GO IN COMPANY BUT YOU SHOULD BE HONEST TO YOURSELF, THROW AWAY THE MASKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I mean im not paying for everyone...

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Emiel!

Yes definitely recommended, it's this one.

Different cast of course but it's a great production. Enjoy!!!!!
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yonghoon Lee. Saw him in Carmen at the Met.
    Highly, highly recommended.
    He's singing with Kristine Opolais on March 20, 23, and 26.

Senior Member Involved Member brianwalker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to see Draculette as Tosca next week. If I like it I will see her one or two more times thereafter. If not, Patricia Racette then.

They'll love it. Everyone loves Tosca. I know this because Joseph Kerman hates it with passion.

It's a great gateway drug to opera; I'm sure that they'll eventually move onto, ahem, incomparably more refined works later on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    It's a great gateway drug to opera; I'm sure that they'll eventually move onto, ahem, incomparably more refined works later on.
    Or perhaps even discover The Purest and Deepest Form of Opera Love

8. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Aksel liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brianwalker View Post
    I'm going to see Draculette as Tosca next week. If I like it I will see her one or two more times thereafter. If not, Patricia Racette then.
    Hope she's recovered from her illness.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Hope she's recovered from her illness.
    Speak of the devil..

It was nothing too serious, just dehydration.

According to a statement issued by San Francisco Opera today, Gheorghiu was feeling ill during Act I. Tests at the hospital revealed that she was severely dehydrated. Gheorghiu is now resting up and feeling better. She expects to perform on Sunday, November 18, as scheduled.

http://operatattler.typepad.com/opera/melody-moore/

11. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So I've found a way to get money for Beczała concert and there still were tickets avaiable so I call and say I WANNA GO TO HAWAII YEE YEE and they say OK BUT YOU CAN'T PAY WITH POST IT'S TOO LATE YOU HAVE 24 HOURS TO GET THE TICKET FROM TICKET OFFICE and I say FEELS BAD MAN because I can't travel 6 hours to get the ticket and go back to my city and and then get back for concert again two days later

I NEVER MANAGE TO GO SEE AWESOME THINGS MUST I ALWAYS REMAIN AMONG THE CINDERS WHERE'S THE PRINCE TO TAKE ME AWAY AS REWARD FOR MY GENTLENESS AND INNOCENCE, BASTARD WHERE IS HE <hysteric outburts of a crying child not getting the toy again>
    Last edited by Soave_Fanciulla; November 21st, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So I saw Tosca last night. It was glorious in every way. Staging was traditional. The problems I had with the Lohengrin performance was nonexistent here. I guess Wagner is just so much harder to stage successfully. Gheorghiu did not retire after the first act. I'd use all caps with large font size and colors ("Vittoria! Vittoria!") but I'm not sure I can pull that off. You get the picture. (I cupped my ears sometimes during the quiter moments, does anyone else do this?).

The house clapped after Cavaradossi's aria in Act I and Vissi d'arte in Act II.

14. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Twain wrote about his adventure at the Bayreuth Festival. It's a fun read.
    http://www.wagneropera.net/Bayreuth/...Mark-Twain.htm

16. Likes emiellucifuge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    On Friday, my parents are going to the Rheingold in Amsterdam. It is a revival of the 90s production by Pierre Audi, all the critics saying theve perfected it since then. I listened to a live broadcast yesterday and musically it was pretty great. Very jealous

Post Thanks / Like
    Me curious. On Flórez official page, new (we knew about Lima for a long time already) Guillaume Tell appeared, schleuded for Rossini Festival in Pesaro (august) without any details and the festival itself announces that they're preparing new production. I've heard in Flórez-worshippers ritual cave that it will be done by Graham Vick who happens to be a dick, director sort of thick and it will be neither traditional nor positively modern - just weak. But as much as they are not very handy with directors, they often manage to gather stellar cast, this may turn out to be important and exciting event, considering how rarely this opera is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been really busy being an ambassador for Opera!

Ive persuaded various opera newbies to accompany me to Tosca and to the ENOs La Traviata and La Boheme!