Thread: Opera Small Talk

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #481
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    One of the reasons I really like this forum is because even though we may have different tastes or opinions on singers, we respect the singers.
    From everything I have read and learned, being an opera singer is very, very tough. It takes a tremendous amount of courage and determination to be able to perform and sing to a large audience. Opera is also a niche market and there are a lot of vocalists who work part-time just to make ends meet.

    Some of the other online opera websites have some of the most vicious comments about singers I have read and openly celebrate when they don't do as well. I think that's really unfair to the singers, who work very hard at their craft and who might have personal issues going on in the background. These critics are setting a very bad example for young impressionable opera fans when they berate opera singers or producers like that because young opera fans will start thinking it's the norm to complain relentlessly about particular singers.
    I am not saying that there shouldn't be criticism directed at a singer, but I am really taken aback sometimes at how extreme and opinionated some of the comments are. They are very unkind.
    It's not because we're so kind and civilised, we just don't dare to get nasty after many of us have exposed themselves in our singing contest. I'm not talking about myself because I sing just fine, but think how could Almaviva get offensive towards singer he doesn't like when there are his recordings just waiting for that singer to get them and expose to masses, saying "this is the man... who said I can't sing..."

  2. #482
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    It's not because we're so kind and civilised, we just don't dare to get nasty after many of us have exposed themselves in our singing contest. I'm not talking about myself because I sing just fine, but think how could Almaviva get offensive towards singer he doesn't like when there are his recordings just waiting for that singer to get them and expose to masses, saying "this is the man... who said I can't sing..."
    I was hoarse and had a cold. In reality I sing divinely.* I don't upload my good singing because I don't want to humiliate the professionals, and wouldn't know how to deal with the sudden fame. I'm a simple, humble guy.

    *[Alma crosses his fingers]
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  3. Likes MAuer, Amfortas liked this post
  4. #483
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Just want to say something briefly about opera fans online.

    One of the reasons I really like this forum is because even though we may have different tastes or opinions on singers, we respect the singers.
    From everything I have read and learned, being an opera singer is very, very tough. It takes a tremendous amount of courage and determination to be able to perform and sing to a large audience. Opera is also a niche market and there are a lot of vocalists who work part-time just to make ends meet.

    Some of the other online opera websites have some of the most vicious comments about singers I have read and openly celebrate when they don't do as well. I think that's really unfair to the singers, who work very hard at their craft and who might have personal issues going on in the background. These critics are setting a very bad example for young impressionable opera fans when they berate opera singers or producers like that because young opera fans will start thinking it's the norm to complain relentlessly about particular singers.

    I am not saying that there shouldn't be criticism directed at a singer, but I am really taken aback sometimes at how extreme and opinionated some of the comments are. They are very unkind.
    I absolutely agree. The degree of mockery and vitriol on some of these sites defies description (I think we all know the worst one). And I am often puzzled at why these singers are so disliked, as often when I hear and see them they seem to be doing a great job.

    As you say, Tardis, it's an extremely difficult job; in fact I think it is getting harder with increased expectation for acting and extreme physical movements while still singing unamplified.
    Natalie

  5. Likes MAuer liked this post
  6. #484
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I absolutely agree. The degree of mockery and vitriol on some of these sites defies description (I think we all know the worst one)
    I don't.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  7. #485
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I don't.
    Starts with a P and ends with arterre.

    At least the Regie games are fun. But the amounts of vileness for vileness' sake is becoming too much over there. Which is a shame.

  8. #486
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    Villazon talks about criticism in this interview that came out recently.
    http://www.theartsdesk.com/classical...3%B3n?page=0,1

    And a NY piece briefly talking about opera education for elementary students and the Met's holiday English Barber.
    http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-n...80592#50280592

  9. #487
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    And a certain NJ listserv.

    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I don't.

  10. #488
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    414
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a great resource and I think James Jorden is actually a very articulate and thoughtful writer and webmaster.
    And the Blind Items are a guilty pleasure.
    You just have to take most of the comments with a grain of salt, like everything on the Interweb.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Starts with a P and ends with arterre.

    At least the Regie games are fun. But the amounts of vileness for vileness' sake is becoming too much over there. Which is a shame.

  11. #489
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    It's a great resource and I think James Jorden is actually a very articulate and thoughtful writer and webmaster.
    And the Blind Items are a guilty pleasure.
    You just have to take most of the comments with a grain of salt, like everything on the Interweb.
    Yes, a lot of the writing is good. But the vitriol heaped by some posters on a few select singers, including Renee Fleming and Marina Poplavskaya, really puts me off and makes me lose respect.
    Natalie

  12. #490
    Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    925
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    Yes, a lot of the writing is good. But the vitriol heaped by some posters on a few select singers, including Renee Fleming and Marina Poplavskaya, really puts me off and makes me lose respect.
    It's a shame. The reviews are usually very good indeed.

    And yes. Blind items are fun. Especially when they turn out to be true.

  13. #491
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what do you think, is it just the way he handled the shirt or did he dislike the photographer?


  14. Likes Aksel liked this post
  15. #492
    Banned Top Contributor Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go, the worst opera clip ever. Don't play it, you may never be able to listen to Villazon again.


  16. #493
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    In this interview, Simon Keenlyside explains that after he'd seen the manuscript for Don Giovanni he sang the role differently from how he'd sung it using the Critical Edition.

    Apologies for my ignorance but what's the difference between an original manuscript and a critical edition?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  17. #494
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the original manuscript is just one version. But some times there are a lot of versions of the same opera, because the composer revised a lot, and you have to take all these into consideration when you are preparing something for performance.

    Philip Gossett says that critical editions also correct the composer's own errors in the original manuscript, for example when they change his mind about something in one section and then when it repeats fails to change it in the repeat.
    Natalie

  18. #495
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,625
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I think that the original manuscript is just one version. But some times there are a lot of versions of the same opera, because the composer revised a lot, and you have to take all these into consideration when you are preparing something for performance.

    Philip Gossett says that critical editions also correct the composer's own errors in the original manuscript, for example when they change his mind about something in one section and then when it repeats fails to change it in the repeat.
    So in some cases the authors of critical editions think their version is the 'correct' version? Isn't that arrogant? I would think that if someone as knowledgeable as Simon Keenlyside changes his interpretation of such an important part of the role, surely the 'critical edition' isn't the correct version.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS