Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    Other than Francisco Araiza, I really haven't heard anyone sing "Ah Lo Veggio" well.
    The English tenor David Rendall sang this aria exquisitely, with to my mind exactly the right combination of forthright manner and melting beauty of tone, as well as a good coloratura technique. He can be heard on at least two Met broadcasts from the 1980's. I like Araiza, but I find him too determinedly macho in this role, and his habit of aspirating his divisions gets on my nerves; more in Mozart than in Rossini, as it happens, where I think a certain amount of aspiration(especially at the breakneck tempi our modern conductors favor) is necessary just to get out the notes. In Mozart legato is paramount.

2. Thanks Tardis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am still not convinced that there ARE many tenors that can sing Mozart tenor arias well.
    I don't think there ever have been! However, some men over the years have given it a game try. George Shirley turns in a magnificent performance of the long version of 'Fuor del mar' in the first Colin Davis recording of Idomeneo (the BBC studio set with Ryland Davies and Pauline Tinsley, not the later Bavarian production), and the Welsh tenor Stuart Burrows (always underrated, IMO) gives us an uncut and beautifully sung 'Ich baue ganz' in the Davis Abduction. And I can't help feeling that, if it had been usual to allow 'Ah, lo veggio' in performances of Cosi fifty years ago, Fritz Wunderlich would have given us a definitive interpretation.

4. Thanks Tardis thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    By cutting the Mozart tenor arias, I feel like some of the characterization is lost for the tenors.

Post Thanks / Like
    By cutting the Mozart tenor arias, I feel like some of the characterization is lost for the tenors.
    Maybe that's why there's this idea floating around that Mozart tenors are "wimpy".
    Could be, could be. Although 'wimpy' is not a word that would accurately describe either Idomeneo or Mitridate, particularly the latter. Mitridate may have been a paranoid megalomaniac, but he was certainly not wimpy. Sulla is another Mozart tenor who cannot be described by the term, unless by 'wimpy' one means 'vicious attack dog'. I often wonder what these critics mean when they derogate Mozart's tenor characters this way. Do 'lyric', 'graceful' and 'poetic' automatically equate to weakness? A lamentable state of affairs, if true.

7. Thanks Tardis thanked for this post
    Likes Tardis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are absolutely right. I misspoke, I was thinking the same thing and was going to reedit my earlier comment.

BTW, I just listened to your recommendation of the 1982 Cosi Fan Tutte on Met Opera on Demand.
    Why is this not on CD??? Rendall is amazing in this one! WOW!
    I also think his voice has a little bit more heft than Araiza.
    You are also right about "E amore un ladroncello", especially near the end, the mezzo was having intonation and breath problems.

Check this NY times review. It's almost obscene how wrong they are. clicky
    They don't even mention "Ah lo veggio!"

9. Likes Jephtha liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are absolutely right. I misspoke, I was thinking the same thing and was going to reedit my earlier comment.

BTW, I just listened to your recommendation of the 1982 Cosi Fan Tutte on Met Opera on Demand.
    Why is this not on CD??? Rendall is amazing in this one! WOW!
    I also think his voice has a little bit more heft than Araiza.
    You are also right about "E amore un ladroncello", especially near the end, the mezzo was having intonation and breath problems.

Check this NY times review. It's almost obscene how wrong they are. clicky
    They don't even mention "Ah lo veggio!"

I am so glad you liked that Cosi, Tardis. I think David Rendall is the best thing about it. You may be right about the heft of his voice; I know he has sung Verdi's Otello for English National Opera, not a role usually associated with tenors who can sing Ferrando so mellifluously. In re: that NY Times review, I would be surprised if the critic even saw the show. The critic for the SF Chronicle was fired back in the late 1970's for reviewing a concert he had not attended. I think this is probably a pretty common practice.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll need to check for David Rendall on YouTube and have a listen. I've always liked the "macho" quality of Araiza's voice, but yeah, those aspirates can get annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I'll need to check for David Rendall on YouTube and have a listen. I've always liked the "macho" quality of Araiza's voice, but yeah, those aspirates can get annoying.

Name:  51CZ6cKdmCL.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  51.3 KB

David Rendall sings Ferrando on this 'complete' recording of Cosi from the late 1970's, which unfortunately follows the traditional stage cuts of the era in omitting 'Ah, lo veggio'. He does, however, get to sing 'Un aura amorosa' and 'Tradito, schernito', and they are both gorgeous. I find the freely ringing quality of his top register thrilling. This was my first Cosi recording when I was sixteen years old, and it still has a place in my heart. The ladies are good, though Stratas' sly wit and excellent acting rather show up the blander performances of the sisters. Philippe Huttenlocher has an attractive, if rather oddly produced, voice, and the great Jules Bastin is surely luxury casting as Don Alfonso. The weak links here are the provincial orchestra and the worse-than provincial conducting. It's all worth it for Rendall, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the Met on Demand, the Met has both the 1982 and 1988 broadcasts of Cosi. Rendall is in both of them and he sings "Ah, lo veggio" in both.
    If you don't want to pay the monthly fee, you can also try out Met on Demand for free for a week.
    I think the 1988 has the stronger cast. Te Kanawa is in the 1988 broadcast. And I personally think that Rendall sings "Ah, lo veggio" better in the 1988 broadcast.
    What stood out to me was that Rendall really sings it very expressively and understands the mood shift near the end of the aria.
    Araiza, in the Marriner CD, has a different take on the aria.
    For the record, I like both Rendall and Araiza's renditions. Just the fact that they are even able to sing them at all is impressive.

The Jacobs version also has the "Ah, lo veggio" with Werner Gura. That's sung pretty well too.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have the Met on Demand, the Met has both the 1982 and 1988 broadcasts of Cosi. Rendall is in both of them and he sings "Ah, lo veggio" in both.
    If you don't want to pay the monthly fee, you can also try out Met on Demand for free for a week.
    I think the 1988 has the stronger cast. Te Kanawa is in the 1988 broadcast. And I personally think that Rendall sings "Ah, lo veggio" better in the 1988 broadcast.
    What stood out to me was that Rendall really sings it very expressively and understands the mood shift near the end of the aria.
    Araiza, in the Marriner CD, has a different take on the aria.
    For the record, I like both Rendall and Araiza's renditions. Just the fact that they are even able to sing them at all is impressive.

The Jacobs version also has the "Ah, lo veggio" with Werner Gura. That's sung pretty well too.
    Well, I can see I will have to break down and get a computer. I use the one here at work for posting on this site, but we are not allowed to make purchases through it. I do remember hearing the 1988 Cosi in its original broadcast and being (once again) impressed by DR. I have never heard the Marriner CD; I think I will have to give it a listen. DR was nothing if not expressive, but always within the bounds of good taste and superlative vocalism. I wasn't terribly fond of the Jacobs Cosi, although I think his recordings of Magic Flute, Titus and Idomeneo are masterpieces. Ryland Davies for Solti and Nicolai Gedda for Davis, as well as Hans-Peter Blochwitz for Levine, all sing 'Ah, lo veggio' in the respective complete sets, but IMO none of them is within shouting distance of DR. He has spoiled me for all other Ferrandos, at least the ones who get to sing the aria in question. Leopold Simoneau for Karajan is probably my favorite of those in the sets that cut the aria.

15. Thanks Tardis thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I am going to have to check all of these out. I don't think I have heard any of those yet.
    The Araiza "Ah lo veggio" is on YT.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_fx2IIh2mA

17. Thanks Jephtha thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the second Solti set(with Renee Fleming as Fiordiligi)includes 'Ah, lo veggio' as well, but I have never heard it and do not know who the tenor is.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    Well, I can see I will have to break down and get a computer.
    If price is a factor in resisting the idea of owning a computer, why don't you try a netbook? These are very cheap, and do the job of browsing the Internet and doing basic word-processing and emailing. Here, look up this one for $235:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C7-C710-2...dp/B00AG0BLWU/
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    If price is a factor in resisting the idea of owning a computer, why don't you try a netbook? These are very cheap, and do the job of browsing the Internet and doing basic word-processing and emailing. Here, look up this one for $235:

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-C7-C710-2...dp/B00AG0BLWU/
    Well, price was partly a factor, but also just plain inertia. But the price tag of the item in the link certainly caught my eye. Thanks for the info!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    Well, price was partly a factor, but also just plain inertia. But the price tag of the item in the link certainly caught my eye. Thanks for the info!
    You might want to check that it hs a DVD slot if you plan to watch opera DVDs on it.
    Natalie