Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jephtha View Post
    True. There are many operas which I feel would be laughed off the stage were they presented as straight plays, but whose music raises them to Parnassus. Some of Wagner's works fall into this category, IMO. I say that not to denigrate the man, but to acknowledge that his great strength, rather than being in his dramaturgy per se, was rather in the presentation of words and music mutually seconding and supporting one another.
    I agree 100% - there are some exceptions, of course, but for the most part the magic of opera is the music and presentation in words that mutually lift otherwise weak stories/librettos into another world - Parnassus, indeed.

I only admit that Wagner belongs to this generality under duress, of course.

2. Likes Jephtha liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member AnaMendoza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wednesday evening, I went to the Rigoletto HD rerun. So, Rigoletto triumphantly sings: "All' onda! All' onda!", and in the distance, you hear the Duke's voice start up: "La donna e mobile', etc.

At the moment the Duke's voice began, a woman a couple of rows behind me gasped a 'Oh!' of total shock. It sounded completely spontaneous, and I consider it anecdotal evidence, at least, that the HD performances are luring in newcomers to opera.

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    MONC Finals just finished. Will write up a report later tonight.

Winners were Thomas Richards, Rebecca Pedersen, Sydney Mancasola, Musa Ngqungwana, Brandon Cedel, and Michael Brandenburg.

5. Likes Aksel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the La Traviata final dress this morning. If you are in New York, run to this performance. Don't hesitate. It was stunning.

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be sacrilege to say this on this forum, but I think this run is going to be better than the Villazon-Netrebko run. This production was the best I have seen and heard this entire season.

8. Likes CountessAdele liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tardis View Post
    It might be sacrilege to say this on this forum, but I think this run is going to be better than the Villazon-Netrebko run. This production was the best I have seen and heard this entire season.
    NEVER!!!

[Alma gets his small nuclear device ready - although the thought of collateral damage to the entire Tri-State metropolitan area where most of his best friends live is slightly upsetting - but it still pales in comparison to the idea of revenge against those who put down the fair Anna]

Now, seriously. Oh well, I do have tickets and will be seeing the production on March 24, so, we'll see. Of course it's a very good cast, so, it's tough competition.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am convinced that Placido is a freak of nature. He was unbelievable. For a man his age to retain that type of vocal power and penetration...
    Some of the orchestra players, when they weren't playing obviously, actually turned towards the stage and watched him sing.

Senior Member Veteran Member Aksel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am convinced that Placido is a freak of nature. He was unbelievable. For a man his age to retain that type of vocal power and penetration...
    Some of the orchestra players, when they weren't playing obviously, actually turned towards the stage and watched him sing.
    Did he do a B flat when he exits in Act 2, scene 1? Anthony Michaels-Moore did in the ENO production, and I haven't quite recovered from it yet.

Also, who is the Alfredo? In any case, Diana Damrau's first Violetta will probably be rather a great thing.

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aksel View Post
    Did he do a B flat when he exits in Act 2, scene 1? Anthony Michaels-Moore did in the ENO production, and I haven't quite recovered from it yet.
    Michaels-Moore did the same thing when I heard him sing the role at the Met -- actually, he's the only baritone I've ever heard sing that note.

14. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to, wisely, defer to Alma on this question. He is far more familiar with La Traviata than I am and he's going to be seeing it later this month.
    All I can say, based on my own musical tastes, is that the entire cast, from top to bottom, was strong. I want to reassure any skeptics on either Diana playing Violetta or Placido playing Germont, to have no fear or doubts.
    It's hard to single out a particular singer, because, to me, they all sang at the highest level.
    I am confident that this run will knock the socks off the audience at opening night.

Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Michaels-Moore did the same thing when I heard him sing the role at the Met -- actually, he's the only baritone I've ever heard sing that note.
    Thomas Hampson sang a C in 'Largo al factotum' in a television concert I saw about twenty years ago. Bernd Weikl said in an interview once that his usable range was Great C to tenor high C, but I have never heard him get remotely near these notes on recordings.

Senior Member Involved Member CountessAdele's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to, wisely, defer to Alma on this question. He is far more familiar with La Traviata than I am and he's going to be seeing it later this month.
    All I can say, based on my own musical tastes, is that the entire cast, from top to bottom, was strong. I want to reassure any skeptics on either Diana playing Violetta or Placido playing Germont, to have no fear or doubts.
    It's hard to single out a particular singer, because, to me, they all sang at the highest level.
    I am confident that this run will knock the socks off the audience at opening night.
    Oh I wish I could be there! As a mega Diana fangirl, I'm crushed that I'll miss it. I do take comfort in the fact that I got to see the Rigoletto in HD, though. That was great, I took my dad (his first opera), and he loved it. In fact mom told me I've created a monster because he's constantly bombarding the whole family with historical facts about Verdi.
    Only the positive!

18. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively's Journalist Involved Member Elektra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  156088_10151824086612627_10014782_n.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  95.9 KB

20. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Tardis, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Elektra View Post

Name:  156088_10151824086612627_10014782_n.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  95.9 KB
    A scene from a Regietheater production of La Traviata, no doubt.

22. Likes Elektra, Soave_Fanciulla, Jephtha, Tardis liked this post
    Junior Member Newcomer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. Newbie here. I figured this is the right thread for this question. At the Met last night (3/18) Saimir Pirgu was out with a cold. I didn't catch the name of the unlucky tenor filling in. I believe it was Jan Korab, but I couldn't find this confirmed on the web. (My belief is based on a photo on the web -- though I was sitting pretty far back, and a brief audio clip.)