Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Staff Writer & Reviewer - Life-time Donor Veteran Member Jephtha's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    There is evidently a Facebook page that serves as a sort of venting forum for artists where they can complain about low wages, poor working conditions, and other concerns. This was mentioned by an interviewer from the Salzburger Nachrichten (Salzburg News) in a discussion with one Jonas K. The interviewer also says that the mezzo Elisabeth Kulman had posted on this page with a gripe that she was never paid for any rehearsals when she sang at the Salzburg Festival, including the dress rehearsal to which the public was able to purchase tickets. Kaufmann confirms this, and says the practice is not unique to Salzburg. Singers are contracted for a certain number of performances of a particular opera, and the pay they receive is for those performances. If a singer participates in all of the rehearsals, but then becomes ill and is unable to appear in any of the performances, he/she goes home without a cent. He also claims that singers and actors at the small local/regional theaters are paid a pittance.
    Interesting! This clarifies an issue that was always a mystery to me before: namely, why so many singers feel it unnecessary to attend rehearsals. I can also testify that, in my days as a working musician(many years ago now), I was always paid for performances and rehearsals. The union made certain of that.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Sigh... Amazon.com and their mass emails... They sent me one entitled "best-selling opera recordings" featuring side-by-side Wagner's Ring and... Andrea Bocelli!!!
    And the Number One best seller: Wagner's Ring *starring* Andrea Bocelli!!!

3. Likes MAuer, Jephtha liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is evidently a Facebook page that serves as a sort of venting forum for artists where they can complain about low wages, poor working conditions, and other concerns.
    There are a few of these different practitioner/artist groups. One such in English is: Opera Talk on FB

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it looks as though Herr Jonas will be doing without some of his anticipated earnings for the current Vienna State Opera Parsifal performances: he's ailing again, and has pulled out of today's performance and the next one. Says he'll be back for the rest of them. In the meantime, Chris Ventris is replacing him.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    And it looks as though Herr Jonas will be doing without some of his anticipated earnings for the current Vienna State Opera Parsifal performances: he's ailing again, and has pulled out of today's performance and the next one. Says he'll be back for the rest of them. In the meantime, Chris Ventris is replacing him.
    Ailing, how?
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member Tardis's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A blog post from Opera Idols about the prompter's box.
    clicky

8. Thanks Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva), Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Tardis, I've always wondered about how prompters work. They sound important enough that I wonder how those opera houses that don't use them get by without them.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Almaviva View Post
    Ailing, how?
    The interview and his unofficial web site didn't give any specifics; just said he was sick.

Meanwhile, I came across this video on the same web site with brief segments by Kaufmann and Asher Fisch. Kaufmann talks about singing Wagner and Verdi, but the segment with Fisch seemed to me to be the really interesting one. He is an Israeli conductor, and he talks about the prohibition against performing Wagner's music in his country.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/03/28/j...terview-extras

11. Thanks Hoffmann, Tardis thanked for this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Dark_Angel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Domingo in Abu Dabi music festival.....

Checking my morning stock news to get ready for another investing day saw this
    article about a new growth market for opera among the Arab nations

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-festival.html

A win win situation, an article at this forum recently by Roberto Alagna revealed how he made his money each year and these gala concert events are huge money makers compared to regular opera performances, big money for top international stars plus spread the opera art worldwide

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Angel View Post
    Domingo in Abu Dabi music festival.....

Checking my morning stock news to get ready for another investing day saw this
    article about a new growth market for opera among the Arab nations

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-festival.html

A win win situation, an article at this forum recently by Roberto Alagna revealed how he made his money each year and these gala concert events are huge money makers compared to regular opera performances, big money for top international stars plus spread the opera art worldwide
    The Russians have long been willing to pay top dollars for performers at birthday parties and the like. My wife has a good friend who runs a company who arranges VIP events in Moscow and different types of performers are invited depending on whether the Birthday Boy or Girl is a fan of Million Dollar Baby or Anna Netrebko. That said, they are willing to pay up to $1mm for a few hours of hobnobbing with A-listers or an aria or two. A lot of top stars/singers have price lists which these agencies have.

14. Likes Tardis, MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All three volumes of P. Craig Russell's opera adaptations are coming out as a clothbound set for little more than the cost of an opera DVD! I just pre-ordered my copy from Amazon.com.

If you've never seen his opera adaptation series, click on Amazon's Look Inside links on the upper-left:
    1. The Magic Flute
    2. Parsifal, Ariane & Bluebeard, I Pagliacci & Songs By Mahler
    3. Pelleas & Melisande, Salome, Ein Heldentraum, Cavalleria Rusticana

Post Thanks / Like
    Million Dollar Baby??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Million Dollar Baby??
    Referring to Hilary Swank's appearance in Chechnya for the birthday of Ramzan Kadyrov as arranged by one of the aforementioned Russian VIP event agencies. (She had received $500k as her appearance fee.)

Hilary Swank won her second Oscar for her role in Million Dollar Baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh dear.

Here's a whole new definition of Regietheater for everyone to ponder:

http://www.the-wagnerian.com/2013/01...rect-next.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Oh dear.

Here's a whole new definition of Regietheater for everyone to ponder:

http://www.the-wagnerian.com/2013/01...rect-next.html
    You laugh but the way Bayreuth is going, if Q.T. were actually available and interest, the foundation would probably hire him!