Thread: Opera Small Talk

          
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #871
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Um, Tyrone . . .

    I would be crying if this weren't so damn funny
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #872
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Oh my. Opera singers performing Country Western. What's next? Heavy Metal? Rap?
    Hm... "The nationally and internationally known cast of soloists includes Steven Stull, Carl Johengen, John Rozzoni, George Cordes, Todd Thomas, and Rich Crawley." Huh, who? I do know Todd Thomas. That's about it.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  3. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
  4. #873
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Did he mention what he will be adding? Will it be an extra chapter on contemporary operas? This is the biggest gap in the current version of the book. Not a lot on operas after 1945.
    Yes, the revised version will include operas from then.



    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Have fun!
    I did! La finta giardiniera was brilliant. First time I've seen an opera here & really enjoyed the production. Full house.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

  5. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
  6. #874
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #875
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there even such a thing as the operatic ideal?
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #876
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #877
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Corinne Winters is going to bring an infusion of youth to La Trav at Wolf Trap (going to see this). They are making a big deal of her age, but there have been a few youthful Violettas in modern times not the least of which were Angela, for example, who was a very svelte 29 in the ROH production and Norah Amsellem who was 30 in Madrid.
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #878
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    9,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Corinne Winters is going to bring an infusion of youth to La Trav at Wolf Trap (going to see this). They are making a big deal of her age, but there have been a few youthful Violettas in modern times not the least of which were Angela, for example, who was a very svelte 29 in the ROH production and Norah Amsellem who was 30 in Madrid.
    Name:  HKVioletta1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  75.7 KB

    She is pretty (above, her Violetta in Hong Kong). I'd have loved to see this. I think it's kind of outrageous that they go through all the trouble of staging a new production of La Traviata and present it only once. Come on, at least three performances! Since I can't make it at the exact day and time of this performance, I'll miss it. Anyway, please report if in addition to being pretty, she can sing.

    I'll soon be seeing live another young Violetta: Brenda Rae, in Santa Fe. Although her site doesn't mention her age, I'm assuming she is around 31, since she got her Bachelor of Music degree in 2004 (so if she was 22 at the time, she must be 31 now).

    Name:  Lucia_Di_Lammermoor_38458_RAE[1]_2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  77.5 KB
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

  11. #879
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midwestern U.S.
    Posts
    2,693
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really feel sorry for the Queen and her family sometimes. They have to sit through "entertainment" that they probably can't stand, but don't dare to reveal the fact by their facial expressions or any other body language. I'm afraid that if I had to endure Ms. Jenkins' warbling, I'd look quite obviously bored. And I bet Dame Kiri just loved being grouped with La Jenkins in that reference.

  12. #880
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    And I bet Dame Kiri just loved being grouped with La Jenkins in that reference.
    Actually, she was hoping for a duet with Susan Boyle.

  13. Likes MAuer liked this post
  14. #881
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Name:  HKVioletta1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  75.7 KB

    She is pretty (above, her Violetta in Hong Kong). I'd have loved to see this. I think it's kind of outrageous that they go through all the trouble of staging a new production of La Traviata and present it only once. Come on, at least three performances! Since I can't make it at the exact day and time of this performance, I'll miss it. Anyway, please report if in addition to being pretty, she can sing.

    I'll soon be seeing live another young Violetta: Brenda Rae, in Santa Fe. Although her site doesn't mention her age, I'm assuming she is around 31, since she got her Bachelor of Music degree in 2004 (so if she was 22 at the time, she must be 31 now).

    Name:  Lucia_Di_Lammermoor_38458_RAE[1]_2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  77.5 KB
    Yes, she is 31 and from Appleton, WI according to the "people databases". (Privacy today is a figment of the imagination.) From the picture, she looks more believably consumptive than Corrine who looks young, bright, and healthy!
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  15. #882
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I really feel sorry for the Queen and her family sometimes. They have to sit through "entertainment" that they probably can't stand, but don't dare to reveal the fact by their facial expressions or any other body language. I'm afraid that if I had to endure Ms. Jenkins' warbling, I'd look quite obviously bored. And I bet Dame Kiri just loved being grouped with La Jenkins in that reference.
    The sad thing is that most of the people there probably wonder why KTK has a DBE after her name, when "clearly" KJ sings better!
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  16. Likes MAuer liked this post
  17. #883
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Actually, she was hoping for a duet with Susan Boyle.
    I'm hoping for the Susan Boyle and Paul Potts duet. The closest I've come is:


    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  18. #884
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

  19. #885
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would it be too closed-minded of me to suggest that some subjects simply don't merit operatic treatment? I think it entirely cheapens the operatic form to think that any little event or story is worthy of an opera. And reality opera? Well the Italians already had their 19th century verismo so what would we call this? L'opera della realtà?
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


free html visitor counters
hit counter




Official Media Partners of Opera Carolina

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Opera Carolina

Official Media Partners of NC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of North Carolina Opera

Official Media Partners of Greensboro Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Greensboro Opera

Official Media Partners of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and Piedmont Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of The A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute
of the University of North Carolina School of the Arts and Piedmont Opera

Official Media Partners of Asheville Lyric Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of Asheville Lyric Opera

Official Media Partners of UNC Opera

Opera Lively is the Official Media Partner of UNC Opera
Dept. of Music, UNC-Chapel Hill College of Arts and Sciences

www.operalively.com

VISIT WWW.OPERALIVELY.COM FOR ALL YOUR OPERA NEEDS