Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Clements gets an interview with Salvatore Sciarrino.

BTW, although it isn't his Luci mie traditrici, a later opera, Da gelo a gelo, can be found on Youtube in a concert performance:
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Renee Fleming will be singing at the Kennedy Center in November. Yay. (Ticket buying reminder set! )

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Would it be too closed-minded of me to suggest that some subjects simply don't merit operatic treatment? I think it entirely cheapens the operatic form to think that any little event or story is worthy of an opera. And reality opera? Well the Italians already had their 19th century verismo so what would we call this? L'opera della realtŕ?
    See, I would say it's not the subject, but the treatment. If approached with some kind of perceptive take, any subject can be worthwhile.

After all, how many people would have seen much promise in an opera about Anna Nicole?

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Renee Fleming will be singing at the Kennedy Center in November. Yay. (Ticket buying reminder set! )
    It doesn't say she'll be singing. It says she'll be the host. There are 9 other singers, of which, the only operatic one, looking superficially at the list, is Eric Owens, plus a bunch of other genre singers.

Just like I haven't been going to musicals, I usually don't attend this kind of event. I'm busy enough with opera.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew Clements gets an interview with Salvatore Sciarrino.

BTW, although it isn't his Luci mie traditrici, a later opera, Da gelo a gelo, can be found on Youtube in a concert performance:
    Yes, I've seen that one too. Good, but Luci is much better.

Salvatore should be another "target" for an Opera Lively interview. He would be our 6th contemporary composer interviewee. So, we're slowly moving into the composer field, from having focused heavily on singers before.

Our next two interviews are with major names in opera who are not singers: stage director Laurent Pelly, and composer/conductor George Benjamin. Not bad.

We should ask for more composer interviews.

Great names we should aim for in addition to Sciarrino:

Kaija Saariaho
    Thomas Adčs
    Philip Glass
    Sir Harrison Birtwistle
    Unsuk Chin
    Mark-Anthony Turnage
    Tan-Dun
    Miguel Azguimes
    Osvaldo Golijov
    John Adams
    Mark Adamo

So, we already have:
    Robert Ward
    Martin Smolka
    Marko Ivanovic
    Kevin Puts
    George Benjamin

--------

Any other suggestions of names?

We could publish a book with contemporary composers only.

But I'd need help with this project - would you be willing to get into the interview business as well?
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); July 16th, 2013 at 06:40 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Involved Member emiellucifuge's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    George Benjamin is great!
    Glass recently had a new opera premiered, I was at the UK premiere and the music was great! Lots of questions there...
    Dutch composer Michael van der Aa is doing really interesting things, moving opera into new multimedia directions. He recently had 'The Sunken Garden' performed at the Barbican by the ENO

7. Likes Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    It doesn't say she'll be singing. It says she'll be the host. There are 9 other singers, of which, the only operatic one, looking superficially at the list, is Eric Owens, plus a bunch of other genre singers.

Just like I haven't been going to musicals, I usually don't attend this kind of event. I'm busy enough with opera.
    I believe that Renee is scheduled to sing in a concert performance of Der Rosenkavalier at the Kennedy Center:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/events/?event=NOSPB

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    So here is the story.

I attended performance of Rigoletto recently and when I entered the theatre, there was annoucement that singers from the cast, Aleksandra Kurzak and baritone geezer (famous too, in his own way) will sign the CDs after performance, so I bought the Bel Raggio despite the fact I had it already back home and waited for the signing event. During courtain calls I had to hold it under my arm and applaud AND IT FELL AND WAS BROKEN... I got it together but there was a crack that made the front of CD box fall of as you open it... AND I WOULD'T AFFORD ANOTHER COPY, even if I would... I would have to the end of the line instead of being in first 10 persons to arrive at the spot...

It happened month ago BUT NOBODY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I WENT THROUGH so I still had to talk about it................

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    So here is the story.

I attended performance of Rigoletto recently and when I entered the theatre, there was annoucement that singers from the cast, Aleksandra Kurzak and baritone geezer (famous too, in his own way) will sign the CDs after performance, so I bought the Bel Raggio despite the fact I had it already back home and waited for the signing event. During courtain calls I had to hold it under my arm and applaud AND IT FELL AND WAS BROKEN... I got it together but there was a crack that made the front of CD box fall of as you open it... AND I WOULD'T AFFORD ANOTHER COPY, even if I would... I would have to the end of the line instead of being in first 10 persons to arrive at the spot...

It happened month ago BUT NOBODY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I WENT THROUGH so I still had to talk about it................
    Well, that is so easily solved. You just simply pack that CD with the signatures on it up, and send it to me, and in return, I'll send you something else in a nice unmarked, unsigned jewelbox. Trauma over. How's that?

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opera conductors are usually painfully stereotypical--well not Stefano Montanari

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I've seen that one too. Good, but Luci is much better.

Salvatore should be another "target" for an Opera Lively interview. He would be our 6th contemporary composer interviewee. So, we're slowly moving into the composer field, from having focused heavily on singers before.

Our next two interviews are with major names in opera who are not singers: stage director Laurent Pelly, and composer/conductor George Benjamin. Not bad.

Great names we should aim for in addition to Sciarrino:

Kaija Saariaho
    Thomas Adčs
    Philip Glass
    Sir Harrison Birtwistle
    Unsuk Chin
    Mark-Anthony Turnage
    Tan-Dun
    Miguel Azguimes
    Osvaldo Golijov
    John Adams
    Mark Adamo

So, we already have:
    Robert Ward
    Martin Smolka
    Marko Ivanovic
    Kevin Puts
    George Benjamin

--------

Any other suggestions of names?

We could publish a book with contemporary composers only.

But I'd need help with this project - would you be willing to get into the interview business as well?
    Sign me up. Contemporary composers definitely deserve their own interview book. Of course we'd have to always ask each one a last "standard" question of, "what advice would you want to give to music students who are looking to get into opera composing?"

Probably can add Davies, Dusapin, Eötvös, Floyd, Heggie, and Rihm too. Probably could sign my wife to assist with interviews of Kobekin, Raskatov, Shchedrin, and Smelkov (the last of these just because The Brothers Karamazov is one of her favorite novels).

Above, emiellucifuge suggested van der Aa too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course we'd have to always ask each one a last "standard" question of, "what advice would you want to give to music students who are looking to get into opera composing?"
    Opera Lively should never ask standard questions.
    Well sometimes we do. But we shouldn't.
    What artists love about our interviews is that often the questions are not standard.
    Although we kind of got to repeat ourselves a bit.
    But we'll bounce back.

16. Thanks tyroneslothrop thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opera Lively should never ask standard questions.
    Well sometimes we do. But we shouldn't.
    What artists love about our interviews is that often the questions are not standard.
    Although we kind of got to repeat ourselves a bit.
    But we'll bounce back.
    Righto!

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'M WAITING FOR YOUR QUESTIONS

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post