Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    I'M WAITING FOR YOUR QUESTIONS
    What's it like being too amazing for the world you live in?

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    What's it like being too amazing for the world you live in?
    That's not the right question. I want to be interviewed and asked "Dear Mr. Anne of Green Gables, you're one of least successful composers we know of, which is obviously not fault of your own, but rather of other people - can you tell us, please, about vile directors, uncommited pseudo-artists and musicians and all other people that are destroying you?" and "Would you be kind enough to tell us about dirty facts concerning these people's lives and careers, to show us how deeply evil those reptiles are?" and "Would you care to give us their names and clues where to find them, so our enraged readers can bring them justice?".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne of Green Gables View Post
    That's not the right question. I want to be interviewed and asked "Dear Mr. Anne of Green Gables, you're one of least successful composers we know of, which is obviously not fault of your own, but rather of other people - can you tell us, please, about vile directors, uncommited pseudo-artists and musicians and all other people that are destroying you?" and "Would you be kind enough to tell us about dirty facts concerning these people's lives and careers, to show us how deeply evil those reptiles are?" and "Would you care to give us their names and clues where to find them, so our enraged readers can bring them justice?".
    Well, yeah. That's what I meant.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't despair. You are in good company. Bizet's contemporaries also thought he was a lousy opera composer.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Banned Top Contributor Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Don't despair. You are in good company. Bizet's contemporaries also thought he was a lousy opera composer.
    So you finally admit you think I'm lousy opera composer. Well, let me prove you how wrong you are. Seach my scores, composing software files... no lousy operas. Only lousy songs, piano, chamber and orchestral pieces.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, OK, then you are excused. We don't care if you have composed lousy songs, piano pieces, chamber and orchestral pieces. It's lousy operas that we don't want. See, the web site is called Opera Lively, not Opera Lousy.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    I disagree. Now that Anne has shown what he can do in those other genres, it's time to prove he can do the same in opera.

Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    “The hand of Providence creeps among the stars, giving Slothrop the finger.”
    ― Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

9. Thanks Hoffmann thanked for this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, TL, and amen, I say.

I was so inspired that I've put on Das Rheingold (Solti) to keep me company this morning! Just listening to those opening chords makes my hair stand on end.

11. Likes tyroneslothrop liked this post
    Opera Lively Coordinator - Donor Member Top Contributor Member tyroneslothrop's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Plotkin goes on and on about miking... Sigh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I have to say it, anyone else tired of directors using that d*mn clock metaphor, raise your hand.

Name:  15faus.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  19.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    What would you feel if you went to your favorite opera at your favorite opera house and found the pit empty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tyroneslothrop View Post
    Would it be too closed-minded of me to suggest that some subjects simply don't merit operatic treatment? I think it entirely cheapens the operatic form to think that any little event or story is worthy of an opera. And reality opera? Well the Italians already had their 19th century verismo so what would we call this? L'opera della realtà?
    Writing an opera, no matter the subject, is cashing in?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting concept: Singing opera during a nice dinner