Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I wonder if it would do any good to express just these thoughts to the concert organizers. Perhaps they would change their programming if they realized that the crossover strategy was costing them attendees instead of increasing the size of their audiences.
    It might, if I can work out who they are. The Nathan Gunn concert is something he is touring the world with, and I think it's his initiative.

But I think one of the problems is that it's very difficult to get people to come here, as it's really so far, and has such a tiny population - 4 million people - that they adopt a scattergun approach and hope that the name will attract listeners regardless of what is being sung. I doubt there is a big enough critical mass of opera purists to make a difference.
    Natalie

Junior Member Recent member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    JDF came out to the orchestra sharing the stage with him, and proceeded to play directly to his audience - mugging at the ladies, rolling his eyes, milking every note - every high C in "Ah Mes Amis". His fans did everything except toss him their underwear. Jeez.
    Never Again.
    We need a terminology for this. Melopera, perhaps (melodramatic opera)?!

3. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    It might, if I can work out who they are. The Nathan Gunn concert is something he is touring the world with, and I think it's his initiative.
    Do you like Nathan Gunn? I'm unconvinced. I saw him recently on stage and...
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I only know him from DVDS - I loved him as Prince Andrei in the Paris War and Peace and I like his Billy Budd on CD. But I think he has been doing a lot of musicals recently. It must affect your voice.

And let's face it, we get so few singers here I'd go and hear anyone as long as they presented an operatic programme
    Natalie

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Calixto Bieito's Fidelio opens tonight at ENO. Will be interesting to read the reviews.

Interview with Bieito in The Guardian
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Involved Member Vesteralen's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Calixto Bieito's Fidelio opens tonight at ENO. Will be interesting to read the reviews.

Interview with Bieito in The Guardian
    Well......................

I've got nothing against non-traditional sets, and the idea of "thinking" about a message for contemporary society seems defensible. The problem for me, just looking at the shots of the sets, would be...doesn't it seem a bit sterile for an entire production?

I'll check it out if it ever comes to DVD.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesteralen View Post
    Well......................

I've got nothing against non-traditional sets, and the idea of "thinking" about a message for contemporary society seems defensible. The problem for me, just looking at the shots of the sets, would be...doesn't it seem a bit sterile for an entire production?

I'll check it out if it ever comes to DVD.
    Will be interesting to hear what Mary, our resident Fidelio expert, thinks.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The resident Fidelio expert wouldn't mind having this on video, as long as it's the original staging at the Bavarian State Opera with the Jonas. From what I've seen of this, it's not that bad until Bieito has Don Fernando turn up looking like the Joker from Batman and shooting Florestan (who nonetheless recovers pretty quickly). There is even a very moving passage after "O namenlose Freude" when Florestan reverts to his obsessive-compulsive behavior, and Leonore is reduced to tears. (Not sure what the music is that's being played during this segment.) However, as I said when I saw the video: undoubtedly moving as it is, it isn't Beethoven, or going back to the original play, J. N. Bouilly. This was not the message either of those gentlemen intended to convey -- and I believe a composer's intentions should be respected. If Mr. Bieito would like to write his own play about the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A scene from the Vienna State Opera's new production of La Fanciulla del West, which will premiere early next month. Looks like the action is set around a railroad freight yard. It's difficult to tell from the miniscule photo, but that's Jonas Kaufmann as Dick Johnson/Ramerrez and Nina Stemme as Minnie.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Several of my friends are going to see the Met's Eugene Onegin live in HD.

I'd be going as well if there was a cinema near me which was showing it. 'Dead' as per usual in NZ Nat?
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Sir Roger Parker discusses Va pensiero & tries to separate fact from fiction

Clicky
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My mother, a native New Yorker and piano teacher, just told me a brief story that I thought I would share here. In the early to mid-1950s she was a student at the famous High School of Performing Arts in Manhattan. During that time she would go once a week to the Ansonia Hotel Name:  ANSONIA3_small.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  3.3 KB for a two-hour lesson with her teacher Josef Fidelman.
    Name:  $(KGrHqYOKnUE64r71gUiBP(p5QZ-RQ~~60_35.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  16.7 KB Name:  mYmFTqNln8Q0YJJCDlMNvmQ.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  20.5 KB
    The hotel was renowned as the residence of countless famous musicians (among other reasons, because the walls were really thick). My mother would frequently hear a beautiful soprano voice when she stepped out of the elevator and was in the hall outside the door of her teacher. One day she asked him: "Mr. Fidelman, tell me, who is it that I hear singing so beautifully all of the time?" And he replied to her in his thick European accent: "My daahlink, don't you know? That's my neighbor, Re-na-ta Tebaldi. I send her flowers whenever she's here." Evidently, the apartment right next door to Mr. Fidelman was the New York residence of the great soprano! My mother continued to see Fidelman at the Ansonia until he moved outside the city later in the decade. During that time she would frequently hear the same wonderful voice. Sadly, however, she never actually saw Ms. Tebaldi.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story. Though when you mentioned the Ansonia, I thought it would go in a whole different direction.

17. Thanks Nervous Gentleman thanked for this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nervous Gentleman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    Great story. Though when you mentioned the Ansonia, I thought it would go in a whole different direction.
    "And they certainly don’t make tenants like they used to, either. Plato’s Retreat, the sex club for swinging heterosexual couples that previously operated out of The Ansonia’s basement, is the subject of the new documentary American Swing, opening March 27 at the Quad Cinema. Plato’s was an Ansonia tenant from September 1977 until December 1980, when the club’s owners were paid a million dollars by management to please, please, leave."

My goodness. All I can say is that I'm glad my mother was going there regularly in the early '50s and not in the late '70s.

19. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I lived in New York at that time, on 69th and Broadway (four blocks south of the Ansonia). I had heard about the goings on, but never ventured inside (the swingers' club was for couples, while I was irredeemably single).