Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A swarm of bees seems to be stinging this poor young man. Very unfortunate that this would happen right in the middle of a performance of Carmen (which is otherwise just as bad), making him disrobe and twitch like this. I hope he's OK.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); October 26th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OperaFanNH View Post
    I hope "Opera Small Talk" is the right place to put a couple of operatic heads-up...(or is it heads-ups)...

First, this weekend CBS's 60 Minutes show goes backstage at The Met...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50157787n

Then, starting November 1 or so, (check your local PBS channel), you can watch Jay Hunter Morris (of whom I'm a new fan since the latest Met Ring Cycle)...as Ahab in San Fran's Moby Dick production...I'm really looking forward to that! Here's the link:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365106042/

Enjoy! (I know I will!)
    Great info and I don't think we need to move it, but just since you asked and for future reference, this would be better placed in the News thread. Small Talk, as defined on its first post, is for "whatever little snippet people want to discuss; curious facts, pet peeves, little rants, funny events, humor, etc." So, the focus is a bit on humor, while the announcement of these very useful links/events is more like noteworthy news.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

3. Thanks OperaFanNH thanked for this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite tenor is the cover boy on the November issue of Das Opernglas! This is the third time der Jonas has been this publication's featured artist, and the fourth interview with them since 2002. I'll be eagerly watching the mailbox and waiting for this issue to arrive.

5. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy 40th Birthday to the Sydney Opera House!

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

7. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have my ticket to the Jonas Kaufmann concert in Sydney next August!!! Yay Yay Yay!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I have my ticket to the Jonas Kaufmann concert in Sydney next August!!! Yay Yay Yay!
    Enjoy!!! (And I doubt he will sing any crossover material, as he has previously refused to do so. The closest you may come is an operetta aria as an encore.)

10. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tickets for Lucia at La Scala go on sale 2 Dec and for Il Trovatore 16 Dec. I wonder how difficult it is to buy these tickets...

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    Tickets for Lucia at La Scala go on sale 2 Dec and for Il Trovatore 16 Dec. I wonder how difficult it is to buy these tickets...
    If you do book, let us know how you get on.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    One person's view on child musicians and child opera singers.

Personally I think a child playing an instrument is very different from one trying to sing opera.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Likes MAuer, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think so too. Singing opera at that young age is NOT a good idea. I've heard young Jackie Evancho belting away and it sounds scary and damaging. And people who are praising you because you are doing so well .... for your age... are going to stop when you reach adulthood.
    Natalie

16. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member AnaMendoza's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll call this: Things That Everyone Else Probably Knew All Along. Shamefully enough, I know Swan Lake a little better than Lohengrin. So, I was playing Lohengrin as background music, just now. (I know--that's shameful in and of itself.) And, I suddenly jumped to attention. "Hey, that's Swan Lake! Main theme, too. So fortunate for Tchaikowski that the copyright laws weren't tough in those days."

Post Thanks / Like
    My 18-year-old Alice is doing her history of theatre essay (realism vs theatricality) on La traviata. She gives thumbs up to the Gheorghiu-Vargas version (pity the tenor isn't hot, apparently, couldn't we just drop Jonas Kaufmann in there, apparently), thumbs down to the Mireille Delunsch Aix version (too creepy, nothing happens, what's with the neon lighting and drooping around on stage) and we are currently enjoying the Willy Decker Salzburg version (cool, but why do we have to have Mr Bean in his underpants, where's Jonas).
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    My 18-year-old Alice is doing her history of theatre essay (realism vs theatricality) on La traviata. She gives thumbs up to the Gheorghiu-Vargas version (pity the tenor isn't hot, apparently, couldn't we just drop Jonas Kaufmann in there, apparently), thumbs down to the Mireille Delunsch Aix version (too creepy, nothing happens, what's with the neon lighting and drooping around on stage) and we are currently enjoying the Willy Decker Salzburg version (cool, but why do we have to have Mr Bean in his underpants, where's Jonas).

Priceless!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

20. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I apologize for going from such a pleasant narration to a gloomy posting but my first shopping experience on ArkivMusic has been a negative one. The box was broken, which I guess was more unlucky than anything else. Worse was the copy seems to have been made by a cheap ten year old home studio kit. The sound quality is fine, just the presentation. The CD, cover, sleeve and the booklet has bad quality print that is blurred, off centre and poor colour copy all printed on cheap badly cut paper. Frankly, I think this is almost insulting to the musical content.
    I already have another order on the way of a reprint in the same price range and I hope it will be completely different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with ArkivMusic, and hope that your other purchase with them arrives in better shape. But I appreciate it that you've warned us about this particular vendor. If your second purchase arrives in such poor condition, it will be an indication that we should avoid making buys with these people.

23. Thanks Ann Lander (sospiro) thanked for this post