Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After Jonas Kaufmann graced the cover of the November issue of Das Opernglas, the other half of Munich's "Dream Team," Anja Harteros, is the featured artist in the December issue.

Meanwhile, I'm working on the summary of the December issue of Opernwelt. What happened to my November issue is anyone's guess; it may show up eventually.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm surprised Alma didn't hear about this. La Belissima and Erwin Schrott have officially parted company:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4339510.html
    So evidently the rumors that were circulating this past summer had some truth to them.

(And, yes, I noticed who is Number One on the Huffington Post's list of today's hottest opera singers! )

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    I'm surprised Alma didn't hear about this. La Belissima and Erwin Schrott have officially parted company:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4339510.html
    So evidently the rumors that were circulating this past summer had some truth to them.

I'd be inclined to joke about her being available again, but it's not a moment for such jokes. I'm sad for Anna; I hope she is not suffering too much and recovers from this. The end of a long-term, committed relationship with a child involved no less, is a very severe blow to anybody's life.
    Oh well, I like him too, and he certainly must be suffering as well.
    A pity that two nice and hugely talented artists hit some unworkable obstacle and split. I wouldn't go into who is responsible for what in the break-up; that's their personal life and their business, and I respect them both.
    I wish them both (and Tiago Aru) the best (as possible), when reconstructing their lives.

PS - Classy statement from Anna, I wouldn't expect any less from her (unlike a certain female colleague of hers).
    PS2 - Unfortunate picture, the one picked by the Huffington Post
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 7th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post

(And, yes, I noticed who is Number One on the Huffington Post's list of today's hottest opera singers! )
    Yep, congrats to your man. Now, they list in the Hottest Opera Singers slide show, Katherine Jenkins. Hot she is, I won't dispute that, but opera singer she is not.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); December 7th, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

5. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, time for me to bring you back to earth. Now is your big chance.

There are still tickets available (I think), wait for it, as they say ...

Andrea Bocelli! at Washington, DC's own Verizon Center

December 12!

Please note: Mr. Bocelli will be 'singing' to a large crowd in the hockey arena -
    NOT at the Kennedy Center.

I guess that speaks volumes.

I hope the PA system is working ok.

7. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Guardian's take on the Beczala story.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Thanks MAuer, Clayton, Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    The Guardian's take on the Beczala story.

[the uppermost balcony known as the loggionisti]
    ...a bastardised contemporary reworking of a beloved cultural classic...
    I'm wondering what sort of production was it?

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I'm wondering what sort of production was it?
    Sounds an awful production, one that even Luiz that connoisseur of La traviata would hate.

A bit of a disaster, apparently Damrau missed a cue & the delayed showing on some European TV stations was cancelled.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    La Traviata is not one of my favorite operas - one of my lesser likes, really, and I only own the famous Callas "Lisbon Traviata", which suffers from lousy sound.

That said, I recall a production done by the Washington Opera, ca. 1980, designed by Jean Pierre Ponnelle, that was described in a review at the time as sort of La Traviata done "inside - out".

The curtain went up just as the overture started, with a deceased Violetta on her deathbed and the chorus in whiteface surrounding the set, sort of bouncing up and down to the beat of the music. I found it fascinating and amusing - and very unlike Washington.

The real killer scene was in the second scene of Act II, the party at Flora's house. When the curtain opened, the stage was dominated by an enormous roulette wheel in the foreground, edge of the stage. When Alfredo and Violetta quarreled, the fight ended with Alfredo shoving Violetta on the big roulette wheel, which slowly revolved with her on it, ending the scene.

The finale - Violetta's deathbed scene reprises the opening, with the chorus again in whiteface mourning Violetta's passing.

I loved the production - apparently the only person in Washington who did (Paul Hume, The Washington Post critic at the time, was nearly hysterical with fury), such that I saw it twice in the same week. Some years ago, I met Martin Feinstein, the Director of WNO at the time, and asked him about the production. "It was the biggest mistake of my career" was all he said. I still remember it fondly.

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds an awful production, one that even Luiz that connoisseur of La traviata would hate.

A bit of a disaster, apparently Damrau missed a cue & the delayed showing on some European TV stations was cancelled.
    That's a pity. All that hard work...

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    But really, you're getting booed at La Scala, don't complain, that is actually nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Note to Mr. Tcherniakov: I am not spending a substantial amount of money on tickets to a performance (and in some instances, on travel and a hotel room) so that "discord" can be part of the experience.

That said, the rudeness of the loggionisti is legendary, and even Italian singers haven't been spared. I don't blame Beczala for deciding he's had enough of it. But surely the situation isn't the same in all Italian opera houses. It doesn't seem quite fair of Beczala to tar them all with the same brush.

In any case, Alexander Pereira may have his hands full when he replaces Lissner.

17. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone submitted nominations for the Opera Awards? I'm wondering - if my nomination wins, will I get an invite?
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone submitted nominations for the Opera Awards? I'm wondering - if my nomination wins, will I get an invite?
    I got mine in.
    We should propose the creation of a new category 'best opera fan' and nominate you so that you win and get invited to the ceremony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    I got mine in.
    We should propose the creation of a new category 'best opera fan' and nominate you so that you win and get invited to the ceremony.
    Haha! I think Hoffmann would win best opera fan, not me. I think 'best opera site' would be a good category because OL would easily win then we could all go!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery