Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected -- what Opernwelt has published are actually excerpts from his latest book.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vogue
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

3. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woah! Is that Vogue's British edition? The local magazine shop carries lots of overseas publications, and I definitely want to buy a copy of this issue!

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone's favorite tenor (or one of her favorite tenors) is the cover boy for the April issue of Das Opernglas.

Initials are KFV . . .

6. Thanks Soave_Fanciulla thanked for this post
    Likes Hoffmann, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Woah! Is that Vogue's British edition? The local magazine shop carries lots of overseas publications, and I definitely want to buy a copy of this issue!
    Russian Vogue apparently.

Link.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like

Les trois mousquetaires du chant

You'll need to translate from French
    Last edited by Ann Lander (sospiro); April 5th, 2014 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Thanks MAuer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Russian Vogue apparently.

Link.
    That version I'm afraid Fountain News doesn't carry -- not that I could read it, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't need to, I was there.

PS don't drink the gin; it's muck

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason, I was thinking about the recent concert production of Der Rosenkavalier that was so wonderful, and then tried to figure out why it was so much more powerful than the Met production I saw 30-some years ago, and why. Aside from my being much older now (which provides important added perspective), a major difference was the creation of super titles sometime in the intervening period.

Years ago, when there were no super titles, the program synopses were all one had to follow the stage action - which worked ok to a point, but the sung dialogue, especially (though not only), in Wagner and Strauss, was critical to really understanding and appreciating the operas. When I saw the Met's Rosenkavalier, in the early 1980s, the production was done in very formal 18th century style and, while it was beautifully cast (let's see: Elisabeth Söderstrom/Marschallin; Frederica von Stade/Octavian; Kathleen Battle/Sophie; Aage Haugland/Ochs), the emotional content of the opera was nearly inaccessible by not being able to understand the dialogue. It's not that the dialogue is especially profound, but put into context with the music, Strauss' genius really shines through.

There was some controversy when super titles were first added in opera houses, as they were totally counter to tradition and thought to be too distracting. I don't know whether they ultimately helped build any further audience for opera as an art form, but they were brilliant in how much they added to appreciation. I think they are taken for granted these days, and people may not realize how much they add to their ability to appreciate what they are seeing.

14. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, Amfortas, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    There was some controversy when super titles were first added in opera houses, as they were totally counter to tradition and thought to be too distracting. I don't know whether they ultimately helped build any further audience for opera as an art form, but they were brilliant in how much they added to appreciation. I think they are taken for granted these days, and people may not realize how much they add to their ability to appreciate what they are seeing.
    One more reason to say thank you to Canada, as well as for Gerald Finley, Karina Kauvin, Nathan Berg, Marie Nicole Lemieux, Barbara Hannigan, Nancy Argenta, Teresa Statas, John Vickers, John Relyea, Ben Heppner, Isabel Bayrakdarian, Joseph Kaiser, Roberson Davies and Margaret Atwood. (Yes I know the latter two are not opera singers, but they are two of my faovurite authors).
    Natalie

16. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems there may be another man in La Bellissima's life. A recent issue of a (non-opera) German magazine had a photo of her and the Azerbaijani tenor Yusif Eyvazov smooching on a street corner in Vienna, along with a small blurb claiming the two are now an item. I did a little checking online, and it seems that the rumors about romantic involvement between the two really picked up steam when Mr. Eyvazov recently changed his status to "engaged" on his Facebook page. Well, if he is, Anna is not the bride-to-be, says her publicist. In any event, the tenor did sing Des Grieux in the Rome Opera production of [I]Manon Lescaut[/I ]in which she made her role debut as Puccini's Manon.

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to Sean, her publicist, they are not engaged.

[clicky]

Apparently what happened is that his Facebook page, in Italian, included the word fidanzato which apparently in everyday Italian usually means simply in a relationship, but in the English version of the page, it got translated as engaged - which indeed is the literal translation but not accurate when the everyday language is concerned. So it's simply a translation error. Being in a relationship does not mean being engaged.

Mario, do you confirm this, from the Italian language standpoint?

We'll see how this story develops.
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); April 27th, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK, so, Mario kindly confirmed to me by PM that this is probably what happened:

"In the nowadays newspaper language fidanzamento is used as "dating" meaning that they "escono insieme" o "stanno insieme" in a bit ironic way. They don't mean that one is supposed to marry the other in the future, but the use of the word is ironic."

"If I read that "Anna Netrebko" is "fidanzata" with, i don't know, Gregory Kunde, I think that they have a love affair, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they wanted to marry in the near future."
    Last edited by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva); April 29th, 2014 at 02:35 AM.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, we have a rather similar situation in English now as well. Many individuals will refer to their Significant Other as a "fiancé" or "fiancée" when no actual date for a wedding has been set, and no nuptial arrangements of any sort have been made.