Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I love Die Entführung aus dem Serail ... but together?
    LOL, wow!

It does seem like the production was successful.

The results are strangely glorious. And whether you are a rabid Star Trek fan or just versed enough to get by in pop culture, this zany and pitch-perfect opera triumphs in pure laugh-out-loud hilarity.
    When intermission comes, comments flow: “It’s amazing how closely they follow the story,” “I’m having a good time!” and “I love it, I love it!”
    Josh Shaw, artistic director of POP, spearheaded this entertaining comedy and did a fabulous job in concept and execution of “bold” new vision. This version brings Mozart’s music, and opera as a genre, to a whole new audience, for which I am grateful. A 27-piece orchestra, conducted by Stephen Karr, sounded great
    all three days of this limited run of “Abduction” sold out all 350 seats. It is a shame so few shows were shown.
    As long as they did a good job with the music and were faithful to the plot it does seem to me like a valid initiative. I'd be very curious to watch that (I'm also a Star Trek fan, by the way - probably not too huge but I do enjoy the series).

Star Trek and opera have been close before. The show has made several references to opera in various ways (Klingon opera is mentioned - Worf is a fan, and he mentions some names of the main Klingon operas; Captain Jean-Luc Picard is an opera lover and has listened to operatic arias in the show - if I'm not mistaken, including Les Troyens).

A full opera with the libretto entirely in Klingon has been composed and performed a few times (again, in limited runs/small venues).
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a huge Star Trek fan and I love Die Entführung aus dem Serail ... but together?
    I secretly rather want to see this.
    Natalie

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I secretly rather want to see this.
    That's good; when we talk about it in the open we are addressing the matter.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Preview of Between Worlds - an opera based on the events of 9/11. If I lived in London I'd definitely go and see this.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LA Opera deny the use of performance enhancing helium

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is hilarious!
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    LA Opera deny the use of performance enhancing helium
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

11. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Opera night at my house. I showed Glass' Satyagraha to a couple of regular opera buddies and introduced some new people to the art. For new people, I try to make sure the production is visually interesting. Something good to nosh on at intermission helps pace the evening.

13. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), Clayton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Opera night at my house. I showed Glass' Satyagraha to a couple of regular opera buddies and introduced some new people to the art. For new people, I try to make sure the production is visually interesting. Something good to nosh on at intermission helps pace the evening.

Very nice. And I love this opera. What production did you show to your friends? I know of only one on video and it isn't great. The one from the Met which I believe is not on video (but might be available on Met on Demand) is simply gorgeous.

Hey, we have the thread about operatic masterpieces. If you think this one is one, go there and endorse it! No pressure of course. Maybe you just like it but doesn't feel it is a true masterpiece, which is perfectly fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Very nice. And I love this opera. What production did you show to your friends? I know of only one on video and it isn't great. The one from the Met which I believe is not on video (but might be available on Met on Demand) is simply gorgeous.

Hey, we have the thread about operatic masterpieces. If you think this one is one, go there and endorse it! No pressure of course. Maybe you just like it but doesn't feel it is a true masterpiece, which is perfectly fine.
    The Met's Satyagraha is truly a masterpiece, and I streamed it from YouTube. I don't know of any other other production on video. Now if only I could get my hands on Akhenaten!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Met's Satyagraha is truly a masterpiece, and I streamed it from YouTube. I don't know of any other other production on video. Now if only I could get my hands on Akhenaten!
    Akhnaten is also complete on YouTube, audio only:

I think I've seen someone talking about a video version in some other thread.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm shocked - shocked! that Luiz didn't even mention Vlad's food!

Looks pretty good, even if not identified...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    I'm shocked - shocked! that Luiz didn't even mention Vlad's food!

Looks pretty good, even if not identified...
    The burger is blue cheese with port-balsamic reduction. The other dish is fried potatoes with goat cheese, bacon, sriracha, and a poached egg. It works rather well

19. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The burger is blue cheese with port-balsamic reduction. The other dish is fried potatoes with goat cheese, bacon, sriracha, and a poached egg. It works rather well

Very impressive. No wonder you were able to get non-opera lovers to sit still for Philip Glass!

21. Likes Clayton liked this post