Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched Cardiff Singer and was rooting for Amartuvshin Enkhbat. He blew me away and someone I would travel to hear.

The winner was not a universally popular choice but maybe she sounded better in the hall than she did on TV.

Bachtrack's opinion.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

2. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ah! So if he was Mr Mongolia (in above report) then Te Kanawa probably did say Miss Belarus then. Good, I thought I was hearing things.

I really did like them all. I thought Mr Mongolia's voice was fantastic but I thought his choice of Wolfram might count against him for the judges. Though I too would love to hear him sing live. Hopefully now his performances will now take him outside Ulang Bator...

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    ah! So if he was Mr Mongolia (in above report) then Te Kanawa probably did say Miss Belarus then. Good, I thought I was hearing things.

I really did like them all. I thought Mr Mongolia's voice was fantastic but I thought his choice of Wolfram might count against him for the judges. Though I too would love to hear him sing live. Hopefully now his performances will now take him outside Ulang Bator...
    She probably did! And I agree, all the singers were excellent and I'd love to go next time.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffmann View Post
    Ummm, I could be mistaken, but don't believe this was broadcast in the U.S. unless it was over a channel on SiriusXM that I'm not aware of.
    One of the five finalists was an American soprano, Lauren Michelle, who is very charismatic and has a unique and beautiful voice. I am sure we will be seeing more of her. Also one of the presenters was an American singer called Angel Blue, so I just assumed it would have been broadcast in the US.

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    One of the five finalists was an American soprano, Lauren Michelle, who is very charismatic and has a unique and beautiful voice. I am sure we will be seeing more of her. Also one of the presenters was an American singer called Angel Blue, so I just assumed it would have been broadcast in the US.
    I think you under-estimate the calculations made by the American broadcast networks on how best they can sell advertising time.... If it doesn't include telegenic amateurs belting out "New York, New York", it doesn't merit broadcasting. After all, who doesn't love a musical?

8. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Starting on Sunday 28 June on BBC4, there's a series of programmes on classical voices by Antonio Pappano.

For UK residents only unfortunately.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. Thanks Clayton thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Starting on Sunday 28 June on BBC4, there's a series of programmes on classical voices by Antonio Pappano.

Thank you for the information,

I am DEFINITELY going to be watching/recording these! (GREAT list of named participants)

12. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Review of the David McVicar Les Troyens performed in San Francisco. Interesting read for those of us lucky enough to see this the first time around.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Review of the David McVicar Les Troyens performed in San Francisco. Interesting read for those of us lucky enough to see this the first time around.
    I did not really recognise my own experience in this. I really get more out of reading reviews by amateurs rather than professional critics. The latter usually sound curmongeonly and then I feel a bit simple-minded about having so enjoyed something that they are grumpily critiquing.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    I did not really recognise my own experience in this. I really get more out of reading reviews by amateurs rather than professional critics. The latter usually sound curmongeonly and then I feel a bit simple-minded about having so enjoyed something that they are grumpily critiquing.
    I hope I never become blasť like the professional critics.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

16. Likes Hoffmann, Amfortas, Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm envious!!

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope I never become blasť like the professional critics.
    And here I was looking forward to it!

19. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were a few interesting items in reviews of the big "Summit of the Stars" concert in Munich with La Bellissima, der Jonas, Thomas Hampson (subbing for poor Dmitri Hvorostovsky), Ildar Abdrazakov, and mezzo Elena Zhidkova. Apparently, Anna's been ailing of late, but seemed to have recovered in time for the concert. However, she decided to substitute the Nile Scene for Aida's first aria, and dropped Turandot's "In questa reggia" from the program altogether. If she hasn't yet added Aida to her repertoire, I suspect she has plans to do so in the near future. Don't know about Turandot. Given that she's evidently been ailing recently, there could be any number of reasons for her decision to scrap that aria. Der Jonas sang "Celeste Aida" and "Nessun Dorma" as well as "O Soave Fanciulla" with Anna and the "friendship duet" from Don Carlo with Thomas Hampson, so nothing really new here from him. The soloists also performed some operetta arias and popular songs, ending with the duet "Tonight" from West Side Story.

Member Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    My little story is this:

When I was at the performance of La Traviata in Bayreuth Festival in 1984 someone came to my lodge without invitation and said to me HEY, I'VE HEARD THAT YOU'RE SECOND GREATEST PIANIST ON THE WORLD... and I replied I'VE HEARD THE SAME ABOUT YOU... just when the performance was about to end with Enrico Caruso singing "Una voce poco fa".
    Please don't tell me that Caruso sang in drag.

Post Thanks / Like
    BBC4 Pappano's Classical Voices series
    prog 1 - soprano
    prog 2 - tenor
    prog 3 - mezzo soprano
    prog 4 - bass and baritone lumped together and no doubt as a bloody afterthought!

There are only four programmes in the series and I thought great, soprano, tenor, baritone and bass. But no, typical of the Cult of the Soprano - it gets TWO episodes.

Link
    Lucy Maud Montgomery