Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the DVD with Kaufmann is of the opera's original 1913 version. This is the 1916 revision that is normally performed. So I'm hoping there will be a CD recording so that we can have Kaufmann's Tenor/Bacchus in the standard version. (And I don't think there are any recordings of the opera with Harteros' Prima Donna/Ariadne currently available.)

2. Likes Hoffmann liked this post
    Senior Member Involved Member Nekrotzar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Yes, the DVD with Kaufmann is of the opera's original 1913 version. This is the 1916 revision that is normally performed. So I'm hoping there will be a CD recording so that we can have Kaufmann's Tenor/Bacchus in the standard version. (And I don't think there are any recordings of the opera with Harteros' Prima Donna/Ariadne currently available.)
    I have quite a fondness for the prologue in the 1916 version actually, so I do hope this gets released on CD.
    If you would seek salvation, remember this:
    a life in Hell can still aspire to BLISS.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am curious if anyone here saw the Met La Donna Del Lago, either on stage or visa HD simulcast? It is being released on Blu ray by Presto Classical in mid November, so my sense of "instant need gratification" has been frustrated. Reviews were good. Was it?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnGerald View Post
    I am curious if anyone here saw the Met La Donna Del Lago, either on stage or visa HD simulcast? It is being released on Blu ray by Presto Classical in mid November, so my sense of "instant need gratification" has been frustrated. Reviews were good. Was it?
    I saw it on YT - very straightforward production with some great singing from Barcellona and DiDonato.
    Natalie

Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw the same production with most of the same singers (including JDD, Barcellona, and Larry Brownlee) live in Santa Fe a couple of years ago. I loved it. The production itself like Natalie said is straightforward (it was helped by the Santa Fe mountains in the open-air theater, which did not happen at the Met, of course), but the singing was superb.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

Opera Lively Staff Member Top Contributor Member Hoffmann's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw it in NY in February. It's a wonderful opera, not done very often, and with a great cast. The production itself is ok - I'm sure it played better in Santa Fe because of its outdoor theater than at the Met, but it served the purpose. Overall, I was taken aback that the voices were on the small side - the orchestra was carefully controlled so that the principals did not have to project over the orchestra. The singing, while more diminished than I'm used to in the opera house, was glorious.

I also would guess that the sound will be opportune on the DVD.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    One for the boss

"The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    One for the boss

Woman are you MAD??? When Luiz gets a glimpse of all that shakin', he's gonna be in the ER!!

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A query about critics. Do they actually attend performances they review or do they sometimes just make it up? I recently read a review and from the accompanying photograph it looked like the reviewer did attend. As did yours truly (in striped top on front row). There had been several cast changes before the performances but the reviewer wrote as if the original cast members had been singing.

My French isn't very good so I ran the review through Google translate " ... British mezzo Christine Rice, who has it all: the tone, expression, technique, emotion and silhouette." " ... James Cresswell brings humanity and warmth to shepherd Eumete."

In Il ritorno d’Ulisse in patria, several weeks before the performance, it had been announced that Barbara Kozelj would replace Christine Rice in the role of Penelope and that Christopher Gillett would sing Eumete. Both names were printed correctly in the programme.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

12. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    A query about critics. Do they actually attend performances they review or do they sometimes just make it up? I recently read a review and from the accompanying photograph it looked like the reviewer did attend. As did yours truly (in striped top on front row). There had been several cast changes before the performances but the reviewer wrote as if the original cast members had been singing.

My French isn't very good so I ran the review through Google translate " ... British mezzo Christine Rice, who has it all: the tone, expression, technique, emotion and silhouette." " ... James Cresswell brings humanity and warmth to shepherd Eumete."

In Il ritorno d’Ulisse in patria, several weeks before the performance, it had been announced that Barbara Kozelj would replace Christine Rice in the role of Penelope and that Christopher Gillett would sing Eumete. Both names were printed correctly in the programme.
    LOL, this is very funny. Most likely the critic had pre-prepared the piece and forgot to update it. You should write to the editor of this online magazine.

Hey, we on Opera Lively certainly don't do that. We do attend our performances and hopefully get the name of the artists right. I guess not everybody has our standards, LOL
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

14. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woman are you MAD??? When Luiz gets a glimpse of all that shakin', he's gonna be in the ER!!
    Well, I missed it. Looks like the video has been removed. What was it?

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Well, I missed it. Looks like the video has been removed. What was it?
    Anna Netrebko doing the Dance of the Seven Veils.

All seven of them.

17. Likes Soave_Fanciulla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    And ... and shaking her body parts ... quite energetically!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    And ... and shaking her body parts ... quite energetically!!!
    Where is my hypertension medication?
    Oh wait, I'm sure that by body parts, you mean her vocal cords, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Where is my hypertension medication?
    Oh wait, I'm sure that by body parts, you mean her vocal cords, right?
    No, I did not. I meant those ... external bouncy things.