Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow, while I'm not for profound alterations of operas, the reaction of the French court is extreme.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's being staged in Munich and Bayerische Staatsoper have added a comment.

"Vor dem Hintergrund eines in Frankreich anhängigen Rechtsstreits weist die Bayerische Staatsoper darauf hin, dass die Erben des Komponisten und Librettisten der Auffassung sind, dass die Umsetzung der Schlussszene durch den Regisseur das Werk von Bernanos und Poulenc abwandelt und entstellt. Nach Meinung der Erben muss der Märtyrertod aller Nonnen zwingend szenisch umgesetzt werden. Ansonsten würden Deutungsmöglichkeiten eröffnet, die der Kernaussage des Werkes nicht gerecht würden."
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

4. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    oooh

I have not seen this before

Name:  Warning.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  31.6 KB

The black and yellow screams danger! and makes me feel a bit nervous

Eighteen minutes to go

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    oooh

I have not seen this before

Name:  Warning.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  31.6 KB

The black and yellow screams danger! and makes me feel a bit nervous

Eighteen minutes to go
    The ROH booking system is pathetic and it's time they sorted it. Did you get the tickets you wanted?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Clayton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    The ROH booking system is pathetic and it's time they sorted it. Did you get the tickets you wanted?
    I bought balcony front row seats; I have not sat in those seats since the days of GBP 12 student stand by (do you remember the old stand by ticket office by Floral Hall?) and am very excited by the chance to see an opera in some fantastic seats.

Actually the experience was so much less stressful than the last time I made online purchases from ROH when the site crashed twice whilst paying and both times the seats I wanted were then indicated as sold.

I have not been in the balcony since the renewal. Where do I get my interval champagne from? Is it the Floral Hall bar or the Crush?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought balcony front row seats; I have not sat in those seats since the days of GBP 12 student stand by (do you remember the old stand by ticket office by Floral Hall?) and am very excited by the chance to see an opera in some fantastic seats.

Actually the experience was so much less stressful than the last time I made online purchases from ROH when the site crashed twice whilst paying and both times the seats I wanted were then indicated as sold.
    Good to hear but it's still a poor booking experience compared with other places I've been.

I have not been in the balcony since the renewal. Where do I get my interval champagne from? Is it the Floral Hall bar or the Crush?
    I've never had interval champagne* so I don't know. Maybe ask when you get there?

*I always go the Amphitheatre Bar and get free water.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    Oh wow, while I'm not for profound alterations of operas, the reaction of the French court is extreme.
    It's rather like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. Still, I sympathize with the composer's and librettist's heirs. To me, altering a work's core message is a form of intellectual property theft.

10. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    It's rather like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. Still, I sympathize with the composer's and librettist's heirs. To me, altering a work's core message is a form of intellectual property theft.
    I couldn't agree more! I think this will cause many directors/houses to reconsider some of their outrageous productions and about time too.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So is anyone else seeing the Onegin other than myself and Clayton. I have just been told that my Christmas present will be seats for the Wednesday the 30th performance. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    So is anyone else seeing the Onegin other than myself and Clayton. I have just been told that my Christmas present will be seats for the Wednesday the 30th performance. I'm really looking forward to seeing it!
    Not going this time but I saw it when it was on before and Simon Keenlyside sang the role. It's an interesting production and I hope you enjoy it.

I went to the final dress rehearsal and Peter Rose, who was singing Prince Gremin, had a slight cold so they got someone in to sing from the side of the stage while Peter Rose acted the role. It was quite funny as it was Kasper Holten himself who walked on stage to explain. He said he'd found someone 'hanging around back stage' and had asked him if he could sing the part. Then Kasper paused, looked up, and said Sir John Tomlinson would be singing the role. The place went crazy and there was much whooping and hollering! At the end, I felt a bit sorry for Peter Rose as Sir John got massive applause.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

14. Likes MAuer, Clayton liked this post
    Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this quote from the vice-president of the Avondale Community Council in the November issue of Cincinnati Magazine, who is discussing projects undertaken by the neighborhood’s Youth Council:

They also have some fun. They go to King’s Island, the zoo, the opera, and a lot of other places.”

King’s Island is a huge amusement park located northeast of Cincinnati, and to have the opera mentioned in the same category as King’s Island and the zoo is pretty impressive and remarkable. Avondale is one of the city’s older neighborhoods, dating back to the 19th century, and experienced the sort of population shifts in the 20th century that were common in American metropolitan areas at the time. Today, over 90 percent of the residents are African-American, and 40 percent of residents are living at or below the poverty level. I don’t know if the Avondale Youth Council’s members’ attendance at the opera is a result of the Cincinnati Opera’s outreach program in the city schools or if other factors are involved. But it’s amazing that kids from an urban neighborhood would consider going to the opera as a “fun” thing to do in the same way as a visit to a major tourist attraction or the zoo (which happens to be located in Avondale and is the nation's second oldest). And it’s tremendous news for those who fear that there may not be an audience for opera in the future.
    As a side note, Met Artistic Director James Levine is a native Cincinnatian who grew up in Avondale and graduated from nearby Walnut Hills High School.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Amfortas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    I couldn't agree more! I think this will cause many directors/houses to reconsider some of their outrageous productions and about time too.
    I assume this precedent will have no bearing on works in the public domain--that is, most of the operatic repertoire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Amfortas View Post
    I assume this precedent will have no bearing on works in the public domain--that is, most of the operatic repertoire.
    Indeed. Sadly.
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

18. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think from what I've read in this case It was the fact the staging changed the meaning of the Opera to much. Imagine if a contemporary staging of an Opera clearly killed of a character whose death is left ambiguous in the Libretto or on the original stage. Or what if a secondary character who is ignored it killed of symbolically due to not being mentioned significantly again. Sometimes a staging can twist away from the original works meaning too much. Updated or artistically more abstract works can be fine (The met's Un ballo works well here as does their Rigoletto (though i do not think the subtitles needed to be readjusted as much as they did). If you start tinkering with changing the story and meaning of the Opera that is where problems arise. In both previous example the true heart of the work was kept. In fact due to the Mets Un Ballo using Gustavo rather than Riccardo and the clear assassination of a monarch it might be closer to what Verdi would have liked taking into account how much censorship Un ballo underwent originally.

20. Likes Soave_Fanciulla, MAuer liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems strange to say, but 25 (!) years ago, Joan Sutherland took her final bow. Here (if my fingers work) is a link to that fabulous, deeply moving event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqpDZMKCbRw.

22. Likes Hoffmann, MAuer liked this post