Thread: Opera Small Talk

Bookmark and Share
    Opera Lively Site Owner / Administrator / Chief Editor Top Contributor Member Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Povero Buoso View Post
    Written on skin was my first contemporary opera and I really enjoyed it. Are there any other not to be missed contemporary operas like Written on Skin?
    There are many. Two very good ones have been quoted here already - Silent Night which I saw in person in Philadelphia, the Pulitzer Prize winner for that year, and L'Amour de Loin which I own on DVD. The Minotaur is one of my favorites too (very violent). The Tempest is good. Roberto Alagna's brother's opera Le Dernier Jour d'un Condamné is quite good. I like very much Luce Mie Traditrice but it's not easy on the ears so, beware. It's also available on DVD although it's not its best version. Satyagraha is a terrific masterpiece, one of the very best. Ainadamar is interesting. I like Alice in the Wonderland. George Benjamin's first opera before Written on Skin is also great (it's a short chamber opera, 37 minutes, but very good: Into the Little Hill). Doctor Atomic and The Death of Klinghoffer are both masterpieces. The Consul is great. Little Women is very good. The Ghosts of Versailles is terrific. And so on and so forth... Contemporary opera is a great art form.
    "J'ai dit qu'il ne suffisait pas d'entendre la musique, mais qu'il fallait encore la voir" (Stravinsky)

2. Likes Amfortas, Povero Buoso, Clayton liked this post
    Senior Member Veteran Member Povero Buoso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Luiz Gazzola (Almaviva) View Post
    . The Minotaur is one of my favorites too (very violent)..
    I think I have access to this through the student resource I use.Next on the list!

Anyway a funny anecdote as we havent had one in a while here. As a student I occasionally must get up at a time that needs an alarm. Of course I vary my alarms but occasionally use opera arias,duets,choruses etc. 9/10 times it works. Today I found possibly the most efficient one so far with the entrance of Ping Pang and Pong from Turandot.

It is an interesting way to be woken up.... Ironically the first lines make sense as an alarm as well (ignore the princes couple words before the ministers start being awesome!)

4. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro), MAuer liked this post
    Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is an interesting way to be woken up.... Ironically the first lines make sense as an alarm as well (ignore the princes couple words before the ministers start being awesome!)
    Haha! Brilliant! Is this the alarm on your phone?
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    Haha! Brilliant! Is this the alarm on your phone?
    Ipod touch so I phone probably works as well you can use a song on your ipod with the later generations it only plays once but if you have speakers in your bedroom . Anyway for anyone interested instructions for this form of torture are below:
    0.clock
    1.Alarm
    2.Edit alarm/ add alarm
    3.Sound
    4.Pick a song and enjoy (or not)

Highlights may or may not include depending on your collection: Dell'invito trascorsa e gia l'ora (La Traviata) Vivrà! Contende il giubilo/Di quella pira (Il Trovatore) Figlia! Mio padre! (Rigoletto) Signori di Ulrica (Un Ballo In Maschera) and Chi è venuto stasera in parlatorio? (Suor Angelica)

These ones are horrifically efficient when played with just regular Ipod speakers (in the iPod) with actual speakers in an Ipod holder this will wake you up very quickly! (Especially The Il Trovatore ones,Signori di Ulrica and Suor Angelica's highlight)

Opera Lively News Coordinator Top Contributor Member MAuer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Carmen curse strikes again -- I see from der Jonas' Facebook page that he's had to withdraw from the ROH production because of a persistent ailment. And as with last season's Met Carmen, I think these performances were to be his only appearances at the house in 2015-16.

Opera Lively Media Consultant Top Contributor Member Ann Lander (sospiro)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    The Carmen curse strikes again -- I see from der Jonas' Facebook page that he's had to withdraw from the ROH production because of a persistent ailment. And as with last season's Met Carmen, I think these performances were to be his only appearances at the house in 2015-16.
    As you can imagine it hasn't gone down very well with the ROH punters.

Cast change announcement and comments.
    "The world calls them its singers and poets and artists and storytellers; but they are just people who have never forgotten the way to fairyland."
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

9. Likes MAuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAuer View Post
    Its always a risk when booking ahead. I must confess however that going purely for singer is probably not completely wise especially if you're not a massive fan of the opera as some on the ROH website claim. If for example Dmitri were to cancel the Onegin in December (touch wood) I would be disappointed but would still look forward to a brilliant opera and have confidence the replacement would do the role justice.

11. Likes Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sospiro View Post
    As you can imagine it hasn't gone down very well with the ROH punters.

Cast change announcement and comments.
    SO glad I was not flying halfway round the world to see this one!
    Natalie

13. Likes MAuer, Ann Lander (sospiro) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Soave_Fanciulla View Post
    SO glad I was not flying halfway round the world to see this one!
    Nobody can top that!
    Lucy Maud Montgomery

Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I think I have neglected the German part of the repertory in comparison to the Italian (21 Italian 0 German Opera 1 German Operetta (Die Fledermaus)). Anyone have any recommendations for a good first German opera taking into account the fact that I like middle to early late Verdi and all the good Puccini (everything except Edgar and Le Villi) any operas similar to these would be greatly appreciated.

Senior Member Veteran Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    At this point I think I have neglected the German part of the repertory in comparison to the Italian (21 Italian 0 German Opera 1 German Operetta (Die Fledermaus)). Anyone have any recommendations for a good first German opera taking into account the fact that I like middle to early late Verdi and all the good Puccini (everything except Edgar and Le Villi) any operas similar to these would be greatly appreciated.
    I think that you should stick with the good Italian repertory, myself. Try early Verdi, like Ernani and Macbeth.

Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Festat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lohengrin! Or Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, it's maybe a little more... tuneful? If you are still wary of Wagner, try Weber's Der Freischutz. Or Mozart's Singspiele.

And I'm sure Florestan would recommend Fidelio.

18. Likes Florestan liked this post
    Opera Lively Moderator Top Contributor Member Soave_Fanciulla's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with Lohengrin or Der Freischütz (not Meistersinger, too damn long)
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my you weren't kidding. Did Wagner write anything below epoch length? This is why I like Puccini and Verdi! Mostly nice and short 2 hours mostly for Puccini 2 and a half for Verdi 3 and a half to 4 tops (I forgive Carlos cause its so good!) When time allows Wagner I will attempt you ....

Senior Member Top Contributor Member Florestan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Festat View Post
    And I'm sure Florestan would recommend Fidelio.
    Yes. And Martha. And Meistersinger. And Der Freischütz looks like a good one, though I have not heard it yet, but am tempted to pick up a copy since there is one with Gundula Janowitz.
    Necessities of life: food, water, air, shelter, and opera.